PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for first names for two characters

MrEdwardNigma
2016-04-30, 04:21 AM
I need help thinking of first names for two characters.

Both are sort of ancient figures of myth in my campaign.

On is an elven warrior queen. Her last name is Ellinit, and I want an elven first name that exhibits a certain degree of savagery. Think Boudica or Nymeria for the kind of character. Also perhaps Xena. "Xaria" is the best I've been able to come up with.

The other is a human paladin, a true champion of good. His last name is Shadowbane, and he is a lord (so Lord "..." Shadowbane). Others members of his family are called Harlan, Roark and Ezrael, for reference's sake. His first name will also be the name of a village, named after his in present day. Currently I'm thinking "Arvin", but that doesn't quite seem to match the epic feeling I'm going for, and also seems to be a bit too nordic compared to the other first names in the family. I've also thought about "Aurus", going with another a+vowel diphthong, but that might be too roman...

Berenger
2016-04-30, 05:16 AM
Lord Warin Shadowbane?

WARIN m Ancient Germanic
Germanic name derived from the element warin meaning "guard, protect".

Gildedragon
2016-04-30, 10:21 AM
Queen Turania Ellnit, Turania The Glorious
Or
Queen Furginda Ellnit, Furginda The Implacable

Lord Brisingar Shadowbane

kraftcheese
2016-04-30, 12:15 PM
I need help thinking of first names for two characters.

Both are sort of ancient figures of myth in my campaign.

On is an elven warrior queen. Her last name is Ellinit, and I want an elven first name that exhibits a certain degree of savagery. Think Boudica or Nymeria for the kind of character. Also perhaps Xena. "Xaria" is the best I've been able to come up with.

The other is a human paladin, a true champion of good. His last name is Shadowbane, and he is a lord (so Lord "..." Shadowbane). Others members of his family are called Harlan, Roark and Ezrael, for reference's sake. His first name will also be the name of a village, named after his in present day. Currently I'm thinking "Arvin", but that doesn't quite seem to match the epic feeling I'm going for, and also seems to be a bit too nordic compared to the other first names in the family. I've also thought about "Aurus", going with another a+vowel diphthong, but that might be too roman...

I've been trying to think of names for your Boudicca-elf:

Queen Varda Ellinit
Queen Turya Ellinit
Queen Breccan Ellinit
Queen Rhona Ellinit

I thought I'd propose some biblical names for his Lordship, considering his brother's name is Ezrael...

Lord Gabriel Shadowbane
Lord Boaz Shadowbane
Lord Gilad Shadowbane
Lord Isaiah Shadowbane

MrEdwardNigma
2016-05-09, 09:10 AM
Thank you for your responses!

I think you're right on the spot with the biblical connotations there, kraftcheese.
Ezrael is in fact the most relevant party-member, though he is not Lord Shadowbane's brother, but a descendant.
He is in fact one of my players, a fighter who has turned his back on his paladin training with a certain degree of disgust.
Since I am building Lord Shadowbane as a sort of mirror to this character, a "what-might-have-been", and since he's a paladin, a biblical name does seem fitting.
I've eventually settled on Gabriel, since it has both an A and an R, which all the first names in the family have so far.

I'm still not sure what to do with my warrior-queen though, though your suggestions have been marvellous!

SirBellias
2016-05-09, 10:55 AM
Queen Chiroptica Ellinit. Because only savages use hard consonants in their first names.

Gildedragon
2016-05-09, 12:37 PM
Thinking about the Queen
Need the title be queen? Change the title and a name might ring true:
What is her queendom's weapon of choice? I will assume bow...
The Great Boyer of <People>
Huntress
Marksman

Or a regnal name that evokes the weapon... either by butchering lexicons of tolkienese elvish or ancient tongues...
Cert-arcas > lots of finaggling > Zil'tara or Xer'tyche or Certiga

You could have a real name and "rest of the world" bastardization of the name

Let's go say Certiga as the rest of the world name, her elvish name might be Xaer-Te'eka

Lord Torath
2016-05-09, 12:40 PM
For the Elf Queen: Gilavel (Griffon Blade according to the elven name generator I found somewhere on the net =http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/arethanehome.html)

How about Lord Percival Shadowbane for the paladin.

GAAD
2016-05-09, 06:48 PM
For the elf: Alice Elinit
For the paladin: Bob Shadowbane

Why is this so difficult again?

kraftcheese
2016-05-09, 09:45 PM
For the elf: Alice Elinit
For the paladin: Bob Shadowbane

Why is this so difficult again?
Landlady Bertha Elinit
and