PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Cursed Werewolf (CR5 Monstrosity)

Alerad
2016-04-30, 05:37 AM
http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/BySdSZzb

I'm thinking of adding a wolf-based enemy for my group's next adventure, and I wanted a werewolf, but found the original variant a little lackluster for my taste.

Rather than creating a hybrid form, I wanted a werewolf which plays more like a Dire wolf. I changed the Pack Tactics with another custom feat (not sure if there isn't already something similar though).

Do you think the CR is appropriate? Any other thoughts?
The Pack tactics is listed as "Treat as +1 to effective attack bonus", I'm not sure if my variant isn't stronger though (Lone Hunter).

The Cursed Werewolf
Large monstrosity (shapechanger), chaotic evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 75 (10d10+20)
Speed 50ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 14 (+2) 14 (+2) 8 (-1) 12 (+1) 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +5, Perception +4
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Senses darkvision 120 feet, pasive Perception 14
Languages Common + one other (can't speak in wolf form)
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)

Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the werewolf has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
Cursed Shapechanger. Although the werewolf is a shapechanger, it is cursed and cannot revert to its humanoid form. A Remove Curse spell cast on it while in humanoid shape can lift the curse. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Keen Hearing and Smell. The werewolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Lone Hunter. The werewolf has advantage on attacks against creatures who have none of their allies within 5 feet that aren't incapacitated.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d10 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Lycanthropy Curse
If the werewolf deals damage to a humanoid, note that down. During the next full moon the humanoid must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with the werewolf lycanthropy. While cursed, the humanoid can't revert to its true form.

sigurd
2016-05-15, 11:30 PM
I like this. I especially like the way disadvantage works in sunlight. Its a much more satisfying mechanic than '-2'. I can't judge the CR or the relative strength of it but I like the idea.

What is the reason for the curse and is there a reason its not a wolf cursed with a human spirit of great evil?

S

Alerad
2016-09-08, 07:19 PM
I used it in adventure where the character had to search for an unicorn in its forest. The wolf was a cursed wood elf and was lurking in the darkest parts of the forest, both him and the unicorn occasionally clashing but neither was too strong to kill the other without risk.

It can be a wolf cursed with an evil human spirit. You'll have to rework the true form part as it wouldn't revert to human, but stay a wolf.