PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to get players interact with each other?

Louro
2016-04-30, 10:50 AM
Hi folks, I'm studying English and I managed to gather a group of partners to play rol as a practice activity. After two one-shot sessions they seem to like it and are willing to repeat.

Worth to mention that none of them had played rol before. For this previous two games I assigned them all the same objetive, building a linear adventure to make sure they understand what a rol game is about. You know, the classic and cheap: "You are all members of the 'whatever' unit, and your mission is to do this and that".

So... Now I'm trying to figure out how to set up a game/situation in which players have to talk to each other rather than everyone talking to me. I'm not sure about how giving them diferent secondary objectives could result, as they are not experienced players. Maybe is not a bad idea to set up scenes in which they have to decide about what path (course of action) they should follow, given that they can only choose one and once.

I would be really grateful if you can feed me with your ideas, experience, suggestions or anything that you might think could be useful.

NOTE: We are playing a very simplified version of vampire, present day scenario, sort of investigation theme.

AceOfFools
2016-05-02, 07:08 AM
Classic examples where players need to rp with each other is reward allocation: create an item that would be useful for several players, and ask "which one of you is taking this?"

Perhaps works better if the item is desirable, but not intrinsically valuable, like a fancy title.

Other good ways to encourage roleplaying with other PCS are to mechanically insentivise it. I'm unfamiliar with rol, but some of the storyteller games allow things like, "after any scene where your friends spend significant time offering you emotional support, recover 1 willpower."

OldTrees1
2016-05-02, 10:38 AM
Well why would they talk to the DM?
The DM gives the NPC responses when the PCs talk to the NPCs
The Players ask the DM for information their characters either know or are finding out that the Players don't know themselves
The Players ask the DM about rulings
& some Players ask the DM about things the Players learned about but forgot

So have something worth talking about (important + no immediate consensus conclusion) that the Players feel they know the relevant information (so no need to ask the DM or roll spot checks) and avoid having NPCs involved in the conversation.

Making plans is a good example of such a conversation whether it is plan of attack or how to handle the consequences of what happened(a prisoner for example).

Takewo
2016-05-02, 11:45 AM
Maybe is not a bad idea to set up scenes in which they have to decide about what path (course of action) they should follow, given that they can only choose one and once.

That. Give them challenges that are not simply about rolling die. Instead, present them a situation that requires some sort of collective decision.

Also, you can encourage interaction among players by asking simple questions. For example:

GM: There is a door at the end of the corridor. You can see no lock, it won't open either, so it's probably wedged.
Player: I hit it as hard as I can.
GM: Do you know that you can get other players to help you with their actions?

This is a very silly example (I'm not good with examples), but simple things like this can help players realise that they are not alone in the world and that they can count on one another's abilities.

Geddy2112
2016-05-02, 12:24 PM
Second the above about having players do things that require multiple sets of hands. Make situations where it does not matter how good one character is at doing something, everyone has to pitch in.

Another easy way is to remove NPC's. If the party only has the party, they will interact. Have places the party adventures to be hostile wastelands, devoid of anything that is not trying to kill or eat them.

Third is that there is nothing wrong with a linear story, if everyone is happy. Rule of fun means that if everyone is having fun, do it.

Chauncymancer
2016-05-04, 06:57 PM
Or alternatively:
There's a trick called the NPC triangle, where for example PC A's sister is also PC B's girlfriend. And she goes to A with her problems with B and to B with her problems with A. Eventually either she asks or one of them volunteers to go try and iron things out with the other PC. And just like that their interacting, because whether or not PC _ stops doing whatever the problem is is up to them, not you, so you don't need to really way in on what happens as much.