PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing items to equip to my range gish

Nosta
2016-04-30, 12:15 PM
so I got a range gish that needs his slots filled and I am lost for what to do for some slots

so far this is what I have

Head Slot:

Face slot:

Torso slot: VEST OF RESISTANCE: +5 to fort ref and will saves

Back slot: Cloak of Charisma. +6 to Charisma

Arm slot: Custom item schwarzdorn kaiserin 1d4 C19 X2. Unlimited Ammo. Spend spell points to increase magic of spikes up to +3 at a cost of 1 for 1

Hand slot: GAUNTLET OF INFINITE BLADES. Produce a Normal steel dagger (no limit) 1d4 c19 x2. Dagger vanishes 3 rounds after. five charges each day
1 charge: +3 dagger.
3 charges: +3 dagger of seeking.
5 charges: +3 bane dagger of seeking

Ring slot 1: Freedom of Movement: This gold ring allows the wearer to act as if continually under the effect of a freedom of movement spell.

ring slot 2: Energy Resistance Fire 30 (not to sure on this)

Body slot:

waist slot:

Legs slot:

Slotless:'

slotless

slotless

I"d like to have ideas for items to buy my character next time we go item shopping in game

Darrin
2016-04-30, 02:56 PM
What's your budget? What sourcebooks are available? Online content ok? Dragon magazine?

A_S
2016-04-30, 03:30 PM
There are rules in the MIC (pp. 223-224) for combining "basic" effects (ability bonuses, AC bonuses, energy resistance, stuff like that) with "interesting" effects (unique item abilities) on the same item, without paying extra. I highly recommend taking advantage of these; it lets you get some cool effects without feeling like you're missing out on necessary stat boosts.

So, you should definitely invest in bonuses to your saves and important ability scores, but those bonuses don't have to take up entire slots. Here are some of the things I like for the "interesting" parts of magic items:
Novice Rings of the Diamond Mind, to grant the save replacement maneuvers for your lowest save(s).
Third Eye (Clarity), as a get-out-of-disable-free button.
Armor spikes, shield spikes, and gauntlets enchanted with weapon properties that are nice to have but that you don't want on your main weapon (Warning, Eager, and Smoking are all excellent; if your DM will allow you to transfer enhancement bonus from Greater Magic Weapon to AC, then Defending is also good). Since you're a gish, you may also want to give them the Spellblade property, keyed to things like (Greater) Dispel Magic.
Healing Belt is good at low levels; Belt of Battle is obligatory once you can afford it.
Anklet of Translocation
Glove of the Master Strategist
You might also find these threads helpful:
Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook))
Some more info about your character build would also be helpful. A Bard gish doesn't necessarily want the same items as a Mystic Ranger gish.