PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Barbarian Subclass: Path of the Crash

Mcheif30
2016-04-30, 01:21 PM
Dungeon Crasher:
Beginning at 3rd level, if you set off a trap you may start raging for free, if an effect would make you do a Dexterity or Constitution Saving throw you may use your Strength Saving throw instead, and any effect that would make you take half damage on a Success you instead take no damage. You may add your proficiency modifier when trying to break a door, wall, or similar obstacle.

Great Throw:
At 6th level, you may throw a melee weapon at 20 feet while raging, it does the to hit and damage of the weapon. You may ready another weapon as a bonus action if you throw a weapon. you can do this equal to con modifier.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Bash and Crash:
Starting at 10th level, you can push an enemy whenever you hit them with a melee attack while raging, once per round. The enemy must succeed on a Strength save of a DC equal to 8+your proficiency modifier + your strength modifier or be pushed 10 feet. If they succeed on their save they are not pushed.

If the enemy hits a solid object such as a door, pillar or wall while being shoved this way they are knocked prone. The object they are knocked into take 2d6 damage plus your strength modifier.

Smash!:
At 14th level, you may use your Bash and Crash ability even while not raging. In addition, you gain the following effects while in a rage:

-When you deal damage you can add your Proficiency Modifier to the damage on the attack you use Bash and Crash.
-The damage you deal to objects is doubled.

This is my first Homebrew and would like some advice, this is also a rework of another homebrew I saw. (Can't link it but it is by Anubis Dread)

Final Hyena
2016-04-30, 01:35 PM
Was it this? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18484826&postcount=24)

Improved Critical :
Beginning at 3rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

A kind of weak level 3 ability.

Dungeon Crasher:
Starting at 6th level,if you set off a trap you may start raging for free, and when raging you take half damage from all damage except from Psychic, and if an effect would make you do a Dexterity or Constitution Saving throw you may use your Strength Saving throw instead, and any effect that would make you take half damage on a Success you instead take no damage. You may add your proficiency modifier when trying to break a door, wall, or similar obstacle.

Kind of very strong for a single ability.

Bash and Crash:
Starting at 10th level, you can push an enemy whenever you hit them with a melee attack while raging, once per round. The enemy must succeed on a Strength save of a DC equal to 8+your proficiency modifier + your strength modifier or be pushed a number of feet equal to five times your strength modifier. If they succeed on their save they are pushed only half as far, rounding down to the nearest five feet.
Every turn you can push an enemy 25 feet or on a fail 10 feet. Given that it's unlimited I think something more along 10 feet on a fail and 0 on a save.

If the enemy hits a solid object such as a door, pillar or wall while being shoved this way they take 1d6 + your strength modifier damage and are knocked prone. The object they are knocked into take 1d6 damage for every five feet that remained in the enemy's 'flight' before they hit the object, plus your strength modifier.
This adds good damage onto an already good ability. I would get rid of it and just leave the damage that smash will bring.

Edit; I think the issue is that you are trying to take the best bits of the smash path, the bear totem and some rogue saves, pick one and focus on that.

Mcheif30
2016-04-30, 01:52 PM
Was it this?

yes, don't know how to properly quote but here I go

A kind of weak level 3 ability.

with brutal critical that barbarian gets not really in my opinion

Kind of very strong for a single ability.

if you look at the Dungeon Crasher ability from 3.5 it kind of does this. Though I think I should remove the, when raging you take half damage from all damage except from Psychic, part to make it a bit more balanced

Every turn you can push an enemy 25 feet or on a fail 10 feet. Given that it's unlimited I think something more along 10 feet on a fail and 0 on a save.

I was thinking of something like that just was wondering what other people thought

This adds good damage onto an already good ability. I would get rid of it and just leave the damage that smash will bring.

Thats fair, but I think I might keep the damage on objects for flavor

Edit: barbarians get Danger Sense it does the same kind of think but with dex

Final Hyena
2016-04-30, 02:10 PM
with brutal critical that barbarian gets not really in my opinion
You go great axe to maximise the use. On a 19 you get an extra d12, this goes to 2 if at 9th, 3 at 13th, 4 at 17th (and another for orc).
At level 3 (and half orc for fun) you get an extra 2d12 once every 20 attacks or 13/20 extra average damage = 0.65
at level 17 (and half orc for fun) you get an extra 5d12 once every 20 attack or 32.5/20 extra average damage = 1.625
It's ok at high level, but at 3rd it's not great.

if you look at the Dungeon Crasher ability from 3.5 it kind of does this. Though I think I should remove the, when raging you take half damage from all damage except from Psychic, part to make it a bit more balanced
You can't compare 5E to 3.5 for the sake of balance, otherwise we would have fighters with +30 to hit without breaking a sweat. I think that change would make it more unique and balanced.

Mcheif30
2016-04-30, 02:18 PM
You go great axe to maximise the use. On a 19 you get an extra d12, this goes to 2 if at 9th, 3 at 13th, 4 at 17th (and another for orc).
At level 3 (and half orc for fun) you get an extra 2d12 once every 20 attacks or 13/20 extra average damage = 0.65
at level 17 (and half orc for fun) you get an extra 5d12 once every 20 attack or 32.5/20 extra average damage = 1.625
It's ok at high level, but at 3rd it's not great.

any ideas to change it? I was kind of stuck on the 3rd lvl

You can't compare 5E to 3.5 for the sake of balance, otherwise we would have fighters with +30 to hit without breaking a sweat. I think that change would make it more unique and balanced.

Ya, I changed it, I think it looks a lot better that way

Final Hyena
2016-04-30, 02:49 PM
any ideas to change it? I was kind of stuck on the 3rd lvl

When it comes to classes/archetypes I like the main theme starting early so that people feel more unique without reaching mid/late levels, this is especially important as most time is spent playing in lower levels. Many games never even reach those later levels.

If you have a look at the inspiration you can see that the 3rd level feature is the ability to throw others around the room, it is the main part of the archetype which is why it is powerful.

So I would ask myself what is the key thing I want my archetype to do and try to slot it into that first archetype level and then theme the rest around that.

Mcheif30
2016-04-30, 03:40 PM
When it comes to classes/archetypes I like the main theme starting early so that people feel more unique without reaching mid/late levels, this is especially important as most time is spent playing in lower levels. Many games never even reach those later levels.

If you have a look at the inspiration you can see that the 3rd level feature is the ability to throw others around the room, it is the main part of the archetype which is why it is powerful.

So I would ask myself what is the key thing I want my archetype to do and try to slot it into that first archetype level and then theme the rest around that.

I could put Dungeon Crasher on third lvl, then have idk if you kick down a door and if there is enemies you may make take a turn before they can react, but that might be a bit powerful

Edit: Thought of something, just don't know if it is broken