PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Try to take over the world! Level 5 Gestalt

Triskavanski
2016-04-30, 01:58 PM
I'm in a game where we have only three people. We may occasionally have a fourth, but they like doing stuff on saturdays when we play and tend not to show up, often randomly.

Two regular players (one of which I haven't met yet, but the fact he showed up on a non-game day just to make his character is telling of someone who'd probably be fairly regular. The other lives with the GM) have their characters made. One is a Udine Gunslinger | Alchemist who is going crossbow Mave and I believe the bombadeer alchemist. The other is a goblin cavalier | fighter who wants to see the world burn (according to our GM)

So this leaves me my typical place of not being able to figure out what I want to play. Currently I've got a Kitsune Phantom Thief Rogue | Investigator with a VMC of Bard to just really do the heck out of skill checks, provide some additional alchemical support, and be the party face.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=784404 is the current sheet. Some of the idea of the character is to switch around faces rapidly as needed. But I'm not sure it fits.. or exactly what feats and such to take.

Triskavanski
2016-04-30, 06:11 PM
I'm being told that we might be looking at something more of a "Try to Take over Zee Vorld!" game.

So I'm currently contemplating other things. Like Cabalist Vigilante | Cult Leader Mesmerist

I particularly like the Cabalist's Tattoo Chamber ability, and the fact if I have wands and stuff in there, I can cast them. Wondering if there is a way to capitalize on that.

BearonVonMu
2016-04-30, 08:05 PM
In general, gestalt tends to have plenty of class features and toys in your metaphorical toolbox, especially if you choose classes that have synergy regarding what stats they need to be well executed. Instead, you'll tend to suffer from a shortage of actions. The general tip I've gathered is to pick an active class (one with powers and actions that you intend to be using most of the time) and a more passive class that shores up your weaknesses. A caster with warblade, for example, would give you spells aplenty, and you can use the high hit die, BAB, and counters to make your saves almost impossible to fail.
Another strong option is to head for a theurge class, using your two sides to make sure you have full caster level in both sides/
That's my two cents, anyway.

Triskavanski
2016-04-30, 08:33 PM
That last bit is typically frowned upon.

Overall though, going with the idea that we'll take over the world, I've got one feat in mind to take, Which is Brilliant Planner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/brilliant-planner). Doing this would allow me to have a preparation for any sort of situation we might find ourselves in. A sort of "Of course Mr Bond, but you didn't expect me to have an airship to catch did you?"

(Because it does offer services after all.) Most of my talents as far as the Vigilante goes are going to be generally more passive. I'm thinking of possibly combining it with Occultist now as it seems to have more planning ability with the whole mental focus thing. (Particularly the keeper of secrets archetype)

Though I could double down on alchemist, go Isle of Dr. Monroe and anthropomorpize large numbers of animals that I procure.

Ramza00
2016-04-30, 08:36 PM
I am thinking of a build of doing magus plus arcanist or wizard for a game we may be starting (I am new to pathfinder). Magus has a level 6+ magic arcana option where you can use other class spells in combination with Spell Strike and Spell Combat.

Channel a catnip touch spell and it is an extra attack with spellstrike you can do all day, or do a big nasty wizard spell and use the magus to do mop up.

Arcanist has a arcane exploit where you can add abilities to your weapons for a few minutes as a standard action in return for sacrificing a spell slot, so if you know combat is happening you can selectively do certain weapon buffs. One of this weapon abilities you can add is Spell Storing. Yes you have the arcane pool for a magus but this adds more abilities and another source so you can double up

Except I would be going with the eldritch archer magus archetype so instead of doing this at melee I would be doing this as range and no non melee spell storing. Sure you trade some minor abilities but doing this at range allows me to do battlefield control spells, and then switch over to archery to do the mop up

avr
2016-05-01, 06:20 AM
So there's one guy doing ranged damage, likely with a sideline in stealth and/or a few knowledge skills. Another doing melee damage, combat mobility for himself and nothing else. That leaves gaps in battlefield control, buffing, healing, general skills, and probably tanking; one guy can't really keep the enemies at bay even if so inclined (and the description suggests otherwise.) No, you can't do all of those at once but that's the situation.

A phantom thief | psychic detective investigator VMC bard 5 (if I'm reading the sheet correctly) covers general skills very well, can be second-rate at battlefield control but has difficulty with any of those other things. Vulnerable to direct attack. Also note there's a lot of overlap between the classes basic stats which isn't ideal for gestalt.

A cabalist vigilante | cult master mesmerist has the same basic stat overlap problem. It covers general skills and battlefield control and can do some buffing. Also vulnerable when attacked directly. Uses both Cha and Int to cast and has some incentive to hit people in melee to trigger the bond of blood talent

If the campaign is sufficiently RP-focused those gaps may not matter - but in any straight-up fight they'll hurt.

Triskavanski
2016-05-01, 11:36 AM
Overlap on stats?

I thought you wanted to have both classes to be pretty heavy on the same area as far as your str/dex/con/int/wis/cha were. Granted the cabalist and the mesmer have that issue of being dex/int and dex/cha

Or do you mean like Fort/Ref/Will, Skill Points, and BAB?

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-01, 02:12 PM
I think I should point out that you need to have a chat with the goblin player. His antics might cause less opportunities for diplomacy and more for bluff/running away. Make sure you're on the same page in regards to collateral damage here.

Triskavanski
2016-05-02, 05:17 PM
Honestly I don't think I need to talk to the goblin player at all. If he's going to be a dumb brute type, then let him. I can use a dumb brute type.

So since we're goofballs, I think I'm going to go Ratfolk.

I know my level 1 and level 5 feats are going to be Packrat and Cunning Planner giving me 2x a day to pull the solution out of my rump of the situation we're in. One is just a single item, while the other is a plan. One is a single action while the other takes ten minutes to go.

I'm currently thinking Warlock Vigilante | Secret Broker Occultist. Keep the casting stat Int based, buff up knowledge skills and more. Steal the secrets, steal the world. Invoke blackmail.

For Social Talents I'm thinking Renown, Loyal Aid, and Safehouse (My secret underground lair. Filled with hot liquid magma.)
My one vigilante talent I don't entirely know just yet. Maybe Shadow's speed so I'm not 20 movement.

Triskavanski
2016-05-03, 10:14 PM
I think I have the second class now. Ring Leader Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/ringleader-bard-archetype)

This would give me a third method I can pull an item out when I need it. Thus expanding my abilities even further than before. Perhaps take Pathfinder Chronicler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/pathfinder-chronicler#TOC-Deep-Pockets-Ex-) for more of the same, but this time being able to pull magic items as well?