PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cleric spells that can help prevent against attacks while I am asleep.

Yogibear41
2016-04-30, 02:02 PM
Are there any good Cleric spells of 4th level or lower that can basically keep me from being coup de grace'd while I am asleep? It doesn't need to be anything especially fancy, I just need a way to avoid being helpless/wake up if someone sneaks up and tries to whack me while I am asleep.

I've look and haven't seen anything that would really help me out. Even something like an Alarm spell would work, but it is not a cleric spell.

Inevitability
2016-04-30, 02:16 PM
Leomund's Secure Shelter is a 4th-level spell for the Cavern and Feast domains. It incorporates a number of lesser spells (Alarm, Arcane Lock, Unseen Servant) and lasts for 2 hours/level.

You could also take Extra Spell to get it from the Merchant Prince list, where it's 3rd-level; or if that's not possible, you could use ES to get Leomund's Tiny Hut.

Asrrin
2016-04-30, 02:17 PM
You can cast Augury or Divination to ask to see if you will be attacked that night.

If you can persist them through divine meta magic, Meld into stone and Sanctuary can both give you protection from attacks while asleep. You could cast a glyph of warding on the area triggered to enemies passing through, with a sonic energy type which may wake you up from the noise.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-30, 02:19 PM
Skull Watch, Spell Compendium page 191, is Cleric-3 lets you set an alarm (and it's a reusable one).
Summon Monster III (Celestial Dire Badger) lets you make a tunnel, to restrict motion of those coming at you... which works well with Skull Watch.

Darrin
2016-04-30, 04:08 PM
Leomund's Secure Shelter is a 4th-level spell for the Cavern and Feast domains. It incorporates a number of lesser spells (Alarm, Arcane Lock, Unseen Servant) and lasts for 2 hours/level.

There's a sanctified version of this in Champions of Valor called celestial fortress. It costs 1d2 Constitution damage, but you can usually get that back by sleeping for the night.

Yogibear41
2016-04-30, 04:24 PM
Out of these skull watch will probably work the best, although it still leaves some easy ways to get around it. I suppose I should have mentioned I'm CE and have the War and Magic domains.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-30, 04:54 PM
Out of these skull watch will probably work the best, although it still leaves some easy ways to get around it.
A couple of notes on that:
1) Nothing's perfect. There's even ways to get into a Magnificent Mansion without an invitation.
2) You can overlap the areas. The skulls are Permanent, are not themselves creatures, and you can move them if you excluded yourself from triggering them (and why wouldn't you?), so you can make a dozen, arrange them in a circle (pointing inwards, so that each skull is watched by other skulls), and sleep there.
3) Hence using a Dire Badger. Dire Badgers leave a usable tunnel when they dig. So have it dig down at an angle for a little while, then straight in a different direction for a little while, and camp out at the end of the tunnel (admittedly, the default Summon Monster III gives a celestial dire badger, which is a problem for you).

Yogibear41
2016-04-30, 05:24 PM
Oh, I can make it work that is not an issue. I was just hoping for something easier, that I didn't have to go collect and carry skulls around for. Which admittedly isn't really that hard of a thing to do. I've also considered just using stone shape to make a small little house too, but obviously I would need a source of stone, in whatever location I was in because carrying that much rock around would be a pain. Not to mention the fact that depending on how I did it, I would potentially need another stone shape to get back out.