PDA

View Full Version : A character for a group

weckar
2016-04-30, 04:07 PM
So I've been invited to a new group, and been asked to build a 9th level character who can open locks and be a party face.
To cover the opening locks condition I figured picking up a command-word item of Knock would be the best solution (with limited uses/day, depending on funds).
For the social aspect I figured taking a level of Marshal (cha to cha aura) and one of DFA (Beguiling influence, I prefer the breath attack to an eldritch blast as a utility power).
Basically, this means I've fulfilled the set requirements at lv 2 and I haven't even picked a race yet. The only races strictly banned are warforged and illumian, but the DM is picky about introducing odd things into the setting (as is their right).
Point being, I am not sure where to go from this start. I'll likely have a high Cha, so building my other abilities on that would make sense. I'd rather avoid Bard, though, mostly because I've found them uncomfortable to play in the past.
Currently the party has a tank (barbarian/dungeoncrasher), a not-monk (dip-crazy swordsage), a paladin and a Nomad psion.The party alignment is very much in the Good region, and I'd rather not mess with that too much.

Honest Tiefling
2016-04-30, 04:11 PM
What IS the setting, so we can suggest races that work with it? Or do you mean standard DnD races?

weckar
2016-04-30, 04:23 PM
Oh, yeah, good one!
We're playing in Ptolus. But things CAN be imported (just after strict approval).

Honest Tiefling
2016-04-30, 04:38 PM
How strict is strict, and how much LA are you looking for? I mean, if the gnomes in this setting are supposed to be fey-like, would a chaos gnome really be out of place? (I actually don't know, so please answer this question.)

weckar
2016-04-30, 04:47 PM
Chaos gnomes would probably pass, being as they could quite easily pass for a regular gnome. The most likely ones to be disqualified are races for which the question would have to be raised "Why haven't we seen any of these before now?". Planar-immigration is explicitly not allowed (Nor are any non-setting dwarf or elf subraces, by the way).

Ideally I'd stay away from LA altogether as this DM generally doesn't allow buyoff. I'd swallow a +1 if I got something really nice.

Belzyk
2016-04-30, 04:55 PM
Artificer. Your the party everything. Party Smith party enchanter party face. Party healer. Party buffer. Party army of golems. Party party.

weckar
2016-04-30, 05:04 PM
I considered Artificer, honestly. Other than not being able to sell anything I make (there's a settled monopoly on the sale of created magic items) it is generically a good class. The problem I have is rather that I generally have a difficulty playing classes that require a higher degree of planning and Artificers do seem to fall into that category... I'll certainly leave it on the table, though :smallsmile:

Belzyk
2016-04-30, 05:13 PM
I considered Artificer, honestly. Other than not being able to sell anything I make (there's a settled monopoly on the sale of created magic items) it is generically a good class. The problem I have is rather that I generally have a difficulty playing classes that require a higher degree of planning and Artificers do seem to fall into that category... I'll certainly leave it on the table, though :smallsmile:

It does have that but once you learn it artificer is so redicuously fun. Do leave it on the table Lol it's An amazing class.

weckar
2016-04-30, 05:18 PM
Artificer also seems to have the problem of "can't keep everyone happy all the time". As you can only make one item at any time, you can only really help one party member at a time. So other people will invariably feel left out in the cold. The solution is to only make items for yourself, but I think you're wasting must of the class's potential that way...

Honest Tiefling
2016-04-30, 05:23 PM
Why not continue DFA? You'll get better build advice elsewhere, but I thought I'd leave this gem here in case this was an option.

The Manipulator: This is the Dragonfire Adept version of the Diplomancer, a character who is persuasive, suave, and able to charm the pants off even the most ferocious opponent. Use Beguiling Influence to up your social skills, and couple this with the Charm/Enthralling Voice combo from the previous section. Consider taking a level of Mindbender to grab telepathy, so that you can command a charmed vassal more effectively and communicate with any opponent, regardless of language barriers. Being a Half-Elf also has benefits, as it lets you pick up Sociable Personality from Races of Destiny so that you can re-roll your Diplomacy checks; alternatively, you can take 10 on Diplomacy checks by being a Changeling and taking the Rogue substitution level from Races of Eberron or by being a human and taking a one-level dip into Binder (for Naberius, who grants you skill mastery with Diplomacy). A single level of Marshal doubles your Cha bonus to social skills and gets you Skill Focus - Diplomacy. Another good single-level dip is Exemplar, which allows you to take 10 on a surprisingly large number of skills (and lets you add a +4 bonus to one of them).

And here is the actual handbook. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=15686.msg276419#msg276419)

weckar
2016-04-30, 05:33 PM
It may be my personal bias, but I never could quite marry the idea of mind control with being Good. Other than that, my only combat options would be realistically using breath attacks because of the DFA's piss-poor BAB.
Frankly, from seeing this group play I feel what they need most is out-of-combat expertise. The team as-is clears combats faster than reasonable but often gets stuck in social situations, puzzle situations (I've been considering the Investigate feat for this) and especially they are falling WAY behind WBL as their current adventure hides most of the loot in locked chests which they have no way of accessing.
Thinking about it, what they really need is an almost Sherlock Holmesian support - but I have never managed to justify to myself having more than one good mental stat, and he would need three...

Honest Tiefling
2016-04-30, 05:50 PM
Think of it this way: In the case of mind-controlling non-combatants, you are dealing with them in a way that negates the need for violence. People not listening to you about a dire threat? Now they are! A corrupt official getting in your way? Not anymore! This removes them from being a threat or being in the way of a threat, especially in cases where time is a factor and you cannot wait any longer. Using it in combat uses less resources from your own side to better deal with threats. Resources that might be vital to save someone's life later, and often the war between good and evil is one of attrition and properly applied assets.

But I am getting a skill-monkey vibe, and maybe mind-control is not your cup of tea. Sounds kinda like you want a bard without the singing and dancing. Your two dips would probably not be good for a Beguiler build, which would have skills to spare. Some builds do make interesting use of a few Binder levels, or you could go more heavily Binder in the first place. That is assuming Binding works in your setting. I get the feeling that Exemplar might be right up your alley, because of the focus on skills. Dragon Devotee might be another selection to look at.

weckar
2016-04-30, 05:59 PM
I like Examplar, but I can't qualify for that by lv 9. Putting me on that road would certainly be fun, though. And considering the free Skill Focus from Marshal, entry should be easy.
Let's assume for a second we're skill-monkeying. How then can I get the most mileage out of a high Cha?

Belzyk
2016-04-30, 06:40 PM
If your going DFA go dvati you get 2 breath attacks. And the damage wracks up like crazy xD especially once you get five fold breath of tiamat opse I mean ten fold breath of I'm a dvati and I rock

MisterKaws
2016-04-30, 06:46 PM
It may be my personal bias, but I never could quite marry the idea of mind control with being Good.

Sanctify the Wicked is just a more expensive, time-consuming, pre-set Mindrape.

On the build: I think Enchanter 3/Beguiler 1/Ultimate Magus 5 would do great for it, using spells to aid your lack of expertise.

weckar
2016-05-01, 04:25 AM
If your going DFA go dvati you get 2 breath attacks. And the damage wracks up like crazy xD especially once you get five fold breath of tiamat opse I mean ten fold breath of I'm a dvati and I rockFivefold has an alignment restriction, though.

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 06:45 AM
Fivefold has an alignment restriction, though.

Ehh I'm just saying that dvati make amazing DFA

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-01, 07:11 AM
At least take a look at the artificer handbook. It sounds like it could fit the groups needs quite well.

weckar
2016-05-01, 03:16 PM
Taking a look, but it doesn't answer my teamwork concern...