PDA

View Full Version : Unseelie fey who would dwell in a swamp

Blackhawk748
2016-04-30, 04:15 PM
Im brainstorming an idea for a campaign that focuses on a village (or a few villages) that are by a swamp that are experiencing a string of Bad Stuff. Im thinking of having the trouble be caused by some Unseelie Fey, but im not sure which ones would be appropriate for a swamp.

Honest Tiefling
2016-04-30, 04:27 PM
Kelpies seem about right, given that the village might explain the presence of a horse (are they horses or ladies in 3rd edition?), which might be attractive to a lost wanderer. You can't have a fey swamp without some will-o-wisps!...And then screw with the players by making them a different breed with extra powers. Water fey like the Nixie might be cool, especially if you build custom swamp nixies.

Verdant Princes are cool to have the big bags because they tend to strike deals with mortals. Maybe as a twist, he was protecting the village? Either the mortal he had the deal with broke it and is now suffering the consequences (and unfortunately, all of the village are his descendants), or he's been removing people/animals that are secretly or unknowingly a danger to the village but making it seem eerie because he's a jerk and/or lazy. These people could have been possessed by fey spirits, or harboring a magical disease and needed to be removed.

ATHATH
2016-04-30, 04:53 PM
If you incorporate Will o' Wisps, I recommend having an encounter with one Wisp that has levels in Warlock. The Wisplock should float (invisibly) above the PC's and use the Summon Swarm Invocation, with the swarm being summoned behind a tree, in a log, etc. so that the PC's don't realize that the swarm was summoned (and will thus not look for the Wisplock). If the swarm dies, the Wisplock should just summon another, and repeat the process until the PC's die or find a way to protect themselves from the swarms.

Actually, the Wisplock could be the BBEG, especially if it uses Invocations like The Dead Walk and such.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-30, 04:54 PM
I second the Verdant Prince, though I suppose that depends on the level of your PCs and how long you want this quest to be. You could just slap the unseelie fey template on a night hag, but if you're looking for specific types of fey to use some swamp themed dryads might do the trick. Fighting dryads should give conscientious players pause, and could open up an angle for the village to somehow be at fault for having cut down a sacred tree or somesuch. You should also go to town with plant enemies - in my experience, they are very much under-utilized and are a lot of fun. Tracing a rampaging tendriculous or something back to whoever sent it at the village could be fun.

Bronk
2016-04-30, 05:21 PM
At low levels, even an unseelie nixie or pixie could work (maybe even with some class levels), along with a bunch of jermalain underlings.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-30, 06:01 PM
These are solid ideas guys, especially that Wisplock. That thing is nasty.

atemu1234
2016-05-04, 11:20 AM
Unseelie Aquatic Nymph?

Arutema
2016-05-04, 01:28 PM
(Bog) nixies. If they're too low CR for your campaign, add class levels to taste.

Blackhawk748
2016-05-04, 01:49 PM
(Bog) nixies. If they're too low CR for your campaign, add class levels to taste.

I am liking the Bog Nixie, that hing is deceptively nasty.

denthor
2016-05-04, 01:54 PM
An imp or quasit would feel right at home in your swamp and give you an evil wizard as a side effect