PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A On spells, bonus actions and wild magic surges

Socratov
2016-04-30, 04:43 PM
Dear playground, I'd like to pick your brain for a bit.

Let's say that we have a Wild Magic Sorcerer. She uses Misty Step for a bonus action, triggers a surge and rolls the result for the following effect: "For the next minute, all your spells with a casting time of one action, will be cast using one bonus action."

So, if the sorcerer in question wanted to cast a cantrip next (say a spellsniper aqcuired Eldritch Blast), would she be able to use a regular action instead of a bonus action? (by way of using a bonus action traded for a 'regular' action). And if not, would it be reasonable to do so anyway?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-30, 06:03 PM
Dear playground, I'd like to pick your brain for a bit.

Let's say that we have a Wild Magic Sorcerer. She uses Misty Step for a bonus action, triggers a surge and rolls the result for the following effect: "For the next minute, all your spells with a casting time of one action, will be cast using one bonus action."

So, if the sorcerer in question wanted to cast a cantrip next (say a spellsniper aqcuired Eldritch Blast), would she be able to use a regular action instead of a bonus action? (by way of using a bonus action traded for a 'regular' action). And if not, would it be reasonable to do so anyway?

RAW, I say "no," because you can never have more than one bonus action per turn, and you've already used it for Misty Step. I find it quite poetic that something that might normally be considered a 'win' is actually working against you here and would therefore stick to the RAW.

*Possibly* I might rule that Quicken Spell can be used in reverse while you're under the effects of this WMS, so you could cast Eldritch Blast as an action if you spent 2 sorcery points.

Gtdead
2016-05-01, 12:03 AM
Well by RAW you can't. But you can get around it by readying an action using a bogus trigger.
If that happened to my table, I'd change it to "For the next minute, all your spells with a casting time of one action, can be cast using one bonus action."

Socratov
2016-05-01, 04:28 AM
RAW, I say "no," because you can never have more than one bonus action per turn, and you've already used it for Misty Step. I find it quite poetic that something that might normally be considered a 'win' is actually working against you here and would therefore stick to the RAW.
I Know, I was somewhat dumbstruck at the table when I read the surge result out loud. Especially since I had the ideal positioning after misty step so bonus action taken, I had nothing more to do. It was then that my DM ruled that if it can be done in a bonus action, that you can also do it as a 'normal' action, since a bonus action is supposed to be that much swifter then a 'normal' action, that trading away a normal action for a bonus action should work. But indeed, RAW is against me on this. Of course normal spellcasting limits still apply (i.e. the one spell of 1st lvl or higher per turn)

*Possibly* I might rule that Quicken Spell can be used in reverse while you're under the effects of this WMS, so you could cast Eldritch Blast as an action if you spent 2 sorcery points.In my particular case I had only Empower and Twin Spell (both of which I find immensely useful at this moment).

Well by RAW you can't. But you can get around it by readying an action using a bogus trigger.
If that happened to my table, I'd change it to "For the next minute, all your spells with a casting time of one action, can be cast using one bonus action."

That would make for a better read.