PDA

View Full Version : move and attack actions

Sploggle1
2016-04-30, 05:28 PM
I am new to running 5e and I wanted to make sure I was doing the actions right. The actions are a bit different from 3.5

Do they just get the Action, or move action + a bonus action + however many free actions the DM allows?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-30, 05:31 PM
On your turn, you can move (which isn't considered a kind of action) and take one action.

If you have bonus actions available (such as the spell Healing Word) you can perform one of them.

You can have one 'object interaction' for free, and you may use your action for a second if desired.

You may take one reaction elsewhere in the round.

There is no trading actions for bonus actions or anything like that.

Sploggle1
2016-04-30, 05:34 PM
On your turn, you can move (which isn't considered a kind of action) and take one action.

If you have bonus actions available (such as the spell Healing Word) you can perform one of them.

You can have one 'object interaction' for free, and you may use your action for a second if desired.

You may take one reaction elsewhere in the round.

There is no trading actions for bonus actions or anything like that.

Thank you because that was confusing me. In 3.5 it was a move action, an action, and a bonus if they had one.

I had a player use a bonus action and I wanted to make sure it was legit. He used a cleric bonus action spell, so i know he was allowed to, but I wanted to double check.

DanyBallon
2016-04-30, 05:38 PM
There is no move action in 5e, every character that have a speed score superior to 0 can move up to its speed score on its turn and can break its movement as he wants.

In a turn you can take an action (Attack, Dodge, Disengage, Hide, Help, Cast a Spell, etc.)
If conditions are met you get a bonus action.
Once per round, on your turn, or more often on the turn of someone else you may get a reaction

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-30, 05:44 PM
I had a player use a bonus action and I wanted to make sure it was legit. He used a cleric bonus action spell, so i know he was allowed to, but I wanted to double check.

The thing you have to watch there is that you can't cast two spells (excl. cantrips) in the same turn. Unless you have Action Surge.

So weapon attack + Healing Word is legit.
Sacred Flame + Healing Word is legit.
Cure Wounds + Healing Word is NOT legit.

Sploggle1
2016-04-30, 05:48 PM
I see, what he did was attack with his weapon and then blast it with divine light I think is what it was called, which uses a bonus action.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-30, 05:55 PM
I see, what he did was attack with his weapon and then blast it with divine light I think is what it was called, which uses a bonus action.

Hmm... doesn't ring a bell. Divine Strike is a passive ability that doesn't cost any kind of action; it's basically a rider that gets applied to the attack.

The only bonus action cleric spells that I can see are (brackets indicate domain spells):
(Divine Favour)
Divine Word
(Grasping Vine)
Healing Word
(Magic Weapon)
Mass Healing Word
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith
Spiritual Weapon

Sploggle1
2016-04-30, 05:59 PM
Hmm... doesn't ring a bell. Divine Strike is a passive ability that doesn't cost any kind of action; it's basically a rider that gets applied to the attack.

The only bonus action cleric spells that I can see are (brackets indicate domain spells):
(Divine Favour)
Divine Word
(Grasping Vine)
Healing Word
(Magic Weapon)
Mass Healing Word
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith
Spiritual Weapon
I found it it was warding flare

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-30, 06:05 PM
I found it it was warding flare

Warding Flare is a reaction. 99% of the time, you'd use it on someone else's turn. The only situation I can see where you'd use it on your own turn is in response to an opportunity attack.

Sploggle1
2016-04-30, 06:27 PM
Warding Flare is a reaction. 99% of the time, you'd use it on someone else's turn. The only situation I can see where you'd use it on your own turn is in response to an opportunity attack.

I'll have to remember that next time he uses it

Ruslan
2016-04-30, 06:41 PM
The thing you have to watch there is that you can't cast two spells (excl. cantrips) in the same turn. Unless you have Action Surge.Actually, even if you have Action Surge. The restriction against casting two spells on the same turn is a general rule, and Action Surge does not provide an exception to it.

Rysto
2016-04-30, 06:48 PM
Actually, even if you have Action Surge. The restriction against casting two spells on the same turn is a general rule, and Action Surge does not provide an exception to it.

That's not correct. The rules only state that you can't cast a spell as a bonus action if you've cast a spell of level 1 or higher as an action. If you cast a spell with Action Surge, you aren't casting a spell as a bonus action so this rule does not apply.

mgshamster
2016-04-30, 06:50 PM
Actually, even if you have Action Surge. The restriction against casting two spells on the same turn is a general rule, and Action Surge does not provide an exception to it.

Not according to Crawford.

Link (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/23/action-surge-spell-2/)

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-30, 06:56 PM
The thing you have to watch there is that you can't cast two spells (excl. cantrips) in the same turn. Unless you have Action Surge.

So weapon attack + Healing Word is legit.
Sacred Flame + Healing Word is legit.
Cure Wounds + Healing Word is NOT legit.

Not quite correct - the rule in question only applies to bonus action spells. That is to say, if you cast a bonus action spell, you cannot cast another spell (other than a cantrip) during the same turn. There is nothing preventing you using an Action Surge to cast two spells as long as they both take an action and not a bonus action. (PHB 202)

Edit: Ninja Hamster!

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-04-30, 06:59 PM
Furthermore, spells such as Melf's Minute Meteors are cast as an action, then as a bonus action can produce an effect. Since you aren't actually casting a spell, it is also completely legit. So things like Healing Aura you can have up, cast, and as a bonus action heal someone.

DanyBallon
2016-04-30, 09:22 PM
That's not correct. The rules only state that you can't cast a spell as a bonus action if you've cast a spell of level 1 or higher as an action. If you cast a spell with Action Surge, you aren't casting a spell as a bonus action so this rule does not apply.

In addition to mgshamster link, you can find that exact ruling in the sage advice document that WotC publish every month.

As for myself, I prefer the intent that you can't cast more than 1 spell + 1 cantrip on your turn even with action surge.