PDA

View Full Version : Normal item crafting cost reductions. (Pathfinder)

Endless Query
2016-04-30, 09:26 PM
Working on making a gunslinger sort of character in a Pathfinder game, and it's possible that "advanced" guns will be available at some point. Since the seem to cost, at base, 15 GP per shot, 7.5 gold after crafting basics, but depending the actual gold flow I'd like to be able to hedge that a little. Is there any decent feats/traits/w/e to tone down the cost a little more? Might not be needed but I'd just like to know my options.

Hogsy
2016-04-30, 09:38 PM
Working on making a gunslinger sort of character in a Pathfinder game, and it's possible that "advanced" guns will be available at some point. Since the seem to cost, at base, 15 GP per shot, 7.5 gold after crafting basics, but depending the actual gold flow I'd like to be able to hedge that a little. Is there any decent feats/traits/w/e to tone down the cost a little more? Might not be needed but I'd just like to know my options.

There's this trait for dwarves.

Eldritch Smith (Dwarf)
Whenever you use the Craft skill or a crafting feat to make a stone or metal item, you reduce the cost of making the item by 5%. This includes metal-headed weapons with nonmetal parts, such as axes and spears.

There aren't any other traits that reduce the cost for mundane items but you could search in the general section of feats on d20pfsrd.com for something better.

Jowgen
2016-05-01, 12:55 PM
Any 3.x material allowed at all?

Endless Query
2016-05-01, 07:39 PM
Nope, pure PF, no 3rd party, no 3.5, generally if it isn't on the SRD it mine as well not exist (Unless it's from, like, a Paizo book whose materials just happen to not be on the SRD in whole or w/e. That might fly if I can find a copy of said book).

Jowgen
2016-05-01, 08:35 PM
Nope, pure PF, no 3rd party, no 3.5, generally if it isn't on the SRD it mine as well not exist (Unless it's from, like, a Paizo book whose materials just happen to not be on the SRD in whole or w/e. That might fly if I can find a copy of said book).

Paizo published dragon and dungeon from 2002 onwards, does that count?

Endless Query
2016-05-01, 08:58 PM
Huh, I never knew that... I SUSPECT not, but there's an off chance stuff in specifically Paizo published books will fly, was there something you had in mind for me to check out? If nothing else, doesn't hurt to ask.

Jowgen
2016-05-01, 11:33 PM
Huh, I never knew that... I SUSPECT not, but there's an off chance stuff in specifically Paizo published books will fly, was there something you had in mind for me to check out? If nothing else, doesn't hurt to ask.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind due to my current 3.5 crafting thread is the Fey Cherry Tree (Dragon 357, google provides details), which is 10% cheaper in GP and EXP to enhance magically. Could be more, lemme check.

Hogsy
2016-05-02, 06:33 AM
Well, the first thing that comes to mind due to my current 3.5 crafting thread is the Fey Cherry Tree (Dragon 357, google provides details), which is 10% cheaper in GP and EXP to enhance magically. Could be more, lemme check.

Yeah, but you don't need EXP in order to craft in PF.

Theobod
2016-05-03, 10:10 AM
May seem a little obvious but well worth mentioning. That cost assumes you are buying the materials and crafting the ammo yourself (using gunsmithing feat I guess?). So to reduce further take Craft: Alchemy and Craft: Metalworking ranks yourself and use those to Craft the gunpower, alloy the brass and refine the lead yourself reducing the cost of those 7.5gp of brass lead and gunpowder down to 2.5gp with of chemicals metals and ores. Sure it's a fairly large amount of time added (but still quite small per unit, assuming middling DCs) and some ranks n tools but over a long campaign is quite a saving.

Endless Query
2016-05-03, 03:49 PM
Huh, that's an interesting idea, I didn't think of that, I'll have to see what I can manage in that regard.