PDA

View Full Version : I'm not evil enough for a Fergie joke... [Race]

Maerok
2007-06-24, 05:19 PM
Dromec

Among the greatest nomads in the evershifting wastes of Nalal are the dromec. These bipedal creatures are as to camels as minotaurs are to bulls. A dromec is a creature of the desert with intelligence generally on par to or beyond that of a half-orc. It is the traits of their distant brethren that make the dromec the skilled nomads that they are; they are able to store vast quantities of water safely to avoid dehydration and the fury of the sands does little to physically assault them.

Dromecs mostly make their living as traveling merchants, creating caravans to ensure safe passage through otherwise lethal terrain. As shrewd negotiators and vicious hagglers, they have earned a reputation as the greatest of desert peddlers and their trade empires control many important products such as silks and fine cloth.

The nomadic tribes of the dromec are often allied to bhuka but are wary of the asherati for past incidents. They are natural enemies to the Walkers in th Waste though many would prefer to carry on a rather passive existence. Many dromec travel with camelopardels as partners working to defend each other.

A dromec speaks its own language, as well as Common, and it will strive to learn the language of other prosperous people. They stand about seven feet tall and can weight at least 600 pounds (depending on how much water is being stored). They take offense at the exploitation of camels and jokes about the humps on their backs; the number of humps creates a hierarchy with those with only one as the lowest and those with up to three as the nobility.

One contingent of dromec warriors, the Hooves of Seki (Sand god), ride large ashworms as guardians to merchant caravans. It is quite a peculiar sight, as are dromec dervishes. Their patron god is Seki, the greater deity of sand - one of the first two gods to emerge in Nalal, also known as the Father of Nalal's Golden Flesh. They also worship Nastrosephin, the deity of travel and protection, to get whatever help they can to cross the dangerous landscape.

The dromec language is one which prides itself on being cacophonous to the point of being nearly incomprehensible, and many outsiders passing through dromeci territory swear these folk were trying to guess their truename. It takes young dromecs a long time to actually learn the language, and thus Common is actually the first language while Dromec has taken on more of a customary tradition. However, this language makes it into the family name of a dromec, with a sort of descriptor working to distinguish individuals. For instance, Chatrakana Gathers-Gold and Chatrakana Falls-Quick could be the names of a brother and sister (though the family name could possibly be abbreviated as many dromeci words have at least seven syllables, not including grunts).

Dromecs age at a rate very close to that of a half-elf.

Dromec Statistics
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Base land speed 40 ft.
10 ft. space/10 ft. reach
Size: -1 attack, -1 AC, +4 grapple checks, -4 hide checks

+8 Strength: As descendants of pack animals, a dromec is pretty much all muscle when it comes to heavylifting or throwing one's weight around.
+4 Constitution: Dromecs are very hardy desert-dwellers and able to withstand many of the dangers of Nalal.
-4 Wisdom: A dromec is not very worldly, seeing most things as a matter of trade rather than understanding the true nature of something.
-2 Dexterity: Graceful a dromec is not.

Four Legged Carrying: A dromec may walk on four legs in order to have a far greater carrying capacity. This penalizes their base land speed by 10 feet. Broader dromec have entire shops on their backs, displaying merchandise in a magnificent array of metal and colors.

Dromec Vengeance (Ex): With a ranged touch attack within 10 feet, a dromec may spit at an opponent. If the victim fails a DC 10+Con modifier Fortitude save, they are blinded and nauseated for one round. A dromec can only use this ability once every 1d4+1 rounds. When insulted, a dromec will typically insult back.

Water Storing (Ex): A dromec may drink up to three times the daily requirement of water (page 15 of Sandstorm; generally 1 gallon a day for below 90 degree F temperatures) which allows them to go for three times as long before making a Constitution check to become dehydrated (which includes the dromec's Con modifier which is added to the number of hours before requiring a check).

Bonus Feats: Endurance and Heat Endurance
Dessication Resistance equal to 5 + HD; also applies to sand-based damage such as from flaywinds
+4 racial bonus on saves to avoid being blinded
+6 racial bonus to Survival checks
Base Heat Protection 2 (for being a desert creature; being a desert creature overlaps the +1 from Heat Endurance): A dromec may exist comfortably in severe heat ranging from 111 to 140 degrees F.

+2 natural armor bonus: Dromecs are easy to land a blow on due to their size but this is often thwarted by their thick hide
Requires custom-fitted armor.

Automatic Languages: Common, Dromec
Favored Class: Explorer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40715)
Level Adjustment: +3
CR +3?

TheLogman
2007-06-24, 05:42 PM
Very fun, but where's the +5 to listen checks for having large ears?

Star Trek jokes aside, a very fun creature indeed. As the party treks across the harsh desert terrain, they are dying of thirst, they see a group of caravans, as they approach the merchant caravan. You hear the party's leader scream: "What??!?! 30 gp per waterskin? That's insane!" Very very fun indeed.

Maerok
2007-06-24, 05:46 PM
Thanks, that's what I was going for. Supply and demand put to the test!

Now how does the LA fit with all of it? I make the Str +8, Con +4, and Dex -2, as per the changes to ability scores due to sizing. I originally had them as Str +2, Con +2, and Dex -2 at LA +2. With the improved scores, I have it at +3 now. (And I increased the -2 Int to -4 Int)

And what would be an appropriate CR, for the sake of NPCs? +3?

TheLogman
2007-06-24, 05:50 PM
Wait, why do they have decreased Int? These guys are really smart businessmen right? I understand that you need to balance out the stats, but I don't think that -2 Int really fits the flavor.

Poppatomus
2007-06-24, 05:59 PM
Well, he did try to explain it by saying that they are savvy businessmen, they just aren't well suited to learning generally. Still, you're right. Might be better to at least split it and go -2 int -2 Wis.

Jasdoif
2007-06-24, 06:13 PM
((Do Str/Con/Dex changes due to size apply to race set-ups like this?))The racial adjustments apply to the creature's normal size, you don't add extra size modifiers to it. The table for Str/Dex/Con changes is for monsters who can appear in larger sizes then normal.

Also, I think your listed adjustments are fine.

Eye for Detail (Ex): Born with a knack for fine goods, a dromec may use its highest mental score as its modifier for Appraise checks. They also treat Appraise as a class skill.This is...simply odd, the variable ability modifier. I do realize you're trying to give them a good Appraise modifier despite their Int penalty; to that end I'd recommend giving them a racial bonus on Appraise checks (perhaps +6) instead of the varying ability modifier.

Dromec Vengeance (Ex): With a ranged touch attack within 10 feet, a dromec may spit at an opponent. If the victim fails a DC 10+Con modifier Fortitude save, they are blinded for one round; success saves the victim from being blinded but nauseates them for one round. A dromec can only use this ability once every 1d4+1 rounds.Why does making a save gives the victim a worse condition? :smallconfused:

Maerok
2007-06-24, 08:32 PM
Alright, how does everything look now? I added one last paragraph (and a sentence) of fluff on names, ages, and language. I added an Appraisal bonus, tweaked Vengeance (though nauseated was less detrimental than blinded), and switched the penalty from Int to Wis.

martyboy74
2007-06-26, 01:54 PM
Any reason it doesn't have the normal 40' speed for Large creatures?

Maerok
2007-06-26, 10:16 PM
Because I forgot. :smallbiggrin:

Callix
2007-06-26, 11:19 PM
These guys have a penalty to Survival. That seems a bit steep in a desert environment. You might want to mitigate thet rather than Appraise, because even with their capacity for endurance, they need to find food and water at some point.

Maerok
2007-06-27, 08:56 AM
Yeah. I guess that would be more important.

Matthew
2007-06-28, 09:59 PM
Hmmn. I have a hard time imagining these in my head. At the moment they look a bit like that Smoking Moose from the Simpsons... not sure I'm on board with this, but I could learn to love it maybe...

Maerok
2007-06-28, 10:04 PM
Erm...
http://www.forces.org/images/joe-camel.jpg
More or less. Sort of like a minotaur of camels...

Matthew
2007-06-28, 10:15 PM
Hah, hah. Okay, that's quite fun. I'm still not sure I can take them seriously, but I'm getting closer.

Falrin
2007-06-29, 07:11 AM
Also, I'd give them some Racial HD. Maybe 2 - 3 HD.

This would balance the CR some. (A First lvL Explorer Dromec is not a CR 1+3)
You can lower the LA to +2

Maerok
2007-06-29, 07:43 AM
Okay, how about 2 Racial HD (Monstrous Humanoid) and LA +2? Class skills are Spot, Listen, Search, and Survival, and gets 5x(Int + 2) skill points.

Matthew
2007-06-30, 11:39 PM
If these are going to be Camel versions of Minotaurs, wouldn't it make sense to model them on that Monster Manual entry?

Maerok
2007-07-07, 11:04 PM
Not exactly the camel version of a minotaur. Just conceptually. They aren't nearly as physically strong or combat-ready. I didn't want to have "just a minotaur but with a camel head".

Matthew
2007-07-12, 09:09 PM
Fair enough. Still not sure whether I like them or not, but interesting nonetheless.

Gefangnis
2007-07-13, 01:00 AM
:belkar: Someone look up the AC for a beast with two backs! Er... Humps!

Maerok
2007-07-13, 10:29 PM
Pssh... Do not doubt the camel!!!