PDA

View Full Version : Other good forums for discussing 3.PF?

gadren
2016-05-01, 01:14 AM
When one wants to talk about 3.5 or Pathfinder, what other good forums are out there besides this one?

eggynack
2016-05-01, 03:06 AM
Minmaxboards (http://www.minmaxboards.com/) is pretty good, though the post density is quite a bit lower than over here.

PaucaTerrorem
2016-05-01, 03:15 AM
That's like asking your girlfriend if she knows any single chicks.

gadren
2016-05-01, 09:19 AM
That's like asking your girlfriend if she knows any single chicks.

Hey, baby, don't be like that. We agreed when we got into this that it wasn't gonna be exclusive.

martixy
2016-05-01, 11:07 AM
Well... EN World is sort of unmissable.
So for completeness sake... Enworld.

Though I doubt I can add anything reasonable you don't already know about.

Technically... reddit is one option, but it is a horribly lousy option. (It suffers from the typical hive mentality permeating that site, preventing most reasonable discussion.)

Gildedragon
2016-05-01, 11:12 AM
There's also 1d4chan but I got no idea how good or bad it is.

Ashtagon
2016-05-01, 11:28 AM
Since sites are being requested, I would of course suggest my own site, thepiazza.org.uk It's mostly edition-neutral but setting-rich though.

Psyren
2016-05-01, 03:22 PM
The Paizo boards are obviously a high-traffic PF area. You'd have to be very explicit about asking for 3.P advice though. Most folks there have at least been exposed to 3.5 and should be able to help, but if you're not clear on what elements are coming from 3.5 it can cause confusion.

gadren
2016-05-01, 03:39 PM
The Paizo boards are obviously a high-traffic PF area. You'd have to be very explicit about asking for 3.P advice though. Most folks there have at least been exposed to 3.5 and should be able to help, but if you're not clear on what elements are coming from 3.5 it can cause confusion.

Yeah plus their boards are... minimalist... in their design, to say the least.

Psyren
2016-05-01, 03:43 PM
Yeah plus their boards are... minimalist... in their design, to say the least.

Not to be a downer, but this is kind of a niche hobby. Outside of the ones suggested in this thread, there really aren't any options with meaningful traffic.

Of course, the one place that hasn't been suggested is the ultimate congregation place for niche hobbies - Reddit. /r/Pathfinder should have plenty of 3.5 players, or maybe you can start up a 3.PF subreddit if one doesn't already exist.

martixy
2016-05-01, 03:55 PM
Not to be a downer, but this is kind of a niche hobby. Outside of the ones suggested in this thread, there really aren't any options with meaningful traffic.

Of course, the one place that hasn't been suggested is the ultimate congregation place for niche hobbies - Reddit. /r/Pathfinder should have plenty of 3.5 players, or maybe you can start up a 3.PF subreddit if one doesn't already exist.

Ahem....
Though I haven't been to r/PF much.
But general r/dnd left me highly unimpressed.

Psyren
2016-05-01, 04:40 PM
Ahem....
Though I haven't been to r/PF much.
But general r/dnd left me highly unimpressed.

I can't speak for D&D (and wouldn't it be confusing, having all the editions in one subforum?), but the PF subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG) looks fairly lively - multiple threads posted within the last hour. As you can no doubt tell, I don't lurk there often, though I may remedy that.

A_S
2016-05-01, 05:00 PM
Technically... reddit is one option, but it is a horribly lousy option. (It suffers from the typical hive mentality permeating that site, preventing most reasonable discussion.)
I haven't spent any time on the D&D subreddits; how do their set of generally accepted truths differ from the ones around here?

martixy
2016-05-01, 05:50 PM
I haven't spent any time on the D&D subreddits; how do their set of generally accepted truths differ from the ones around here?

Speaking specifically for r/DnD here, since that's where I've spend most time.

Stormwind fallacy is high on the list.
Railroading seems to be quite easily accepted and preached.

It is full of people new to the hobby, which isn't bad in itself, it just gets old fast.
It is also very 5e-centric. You assume 5e unless explicitly stated otherwise. People don't tend to bother marking their threads all that much, even though the tools are there.
As a 3.5 grognard I find that mildly irksome.

As far as content, it's about 90% either things people have made(like pictures of their characters, miniatures and similar) or various anecdotes of varying "interestingness"(I can't seem to come up with a proper word).
If it can't be consumed or processed in 5 seconds, your thread is firmly staying in 0-vote territory.

If you wish to have an actual discussion on the intrinsics of the game, especially 3.5, r/DnD would be the wrong venue.

atemu1234
2016-05-04, 10:30 AM
I started a r/DungeonsandDragons35e for 3.5 specific a while back; it's been dead for a while though.

nedz
2016-05-04, 05:08 PM
There's also Mythweavers, but I wasn't that impressed.

I post on minmax occasionally and I gave up on ENWorld some time ago - it was just too sparse.

Âmesang
2016-05-04, 10:25 PM
GameFAQs has a generic Pencil & Paper sub-forum.