PDA

View Full Version : Character idea, good/bad/mediocre?

AnachroNinja
2016-05-01, 08:29 AM
Okay, my DM and I came up with the idea of running a game where everyone basically comes in at the level their build concept comes online, knowing that this will spread the party level out a bit, and ready to work around that for encounters. Now, I've had this idea for a sort of Master of Dragons character for a while and figured I'd see what I came up with. And screw you Emilia Clarke, you don't have a monopoly on Dragons.

Anyway. The baseline is cheesy but necessary.

Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold
Sorcerer 13 (casts as 16)
Feats: 1(Dragonwrought), 3(Draconic Reservoir), 6(Leadership), 9(Dragon Cohort), 12(Dragon Familiar) and of course use the greater Draconic rite of passage at 6. Now, I saw nothing to indicate that you could not use Dragon Cohort and leadership together. Dragon familiar explicitly overlaps your normal familiar but Dragon Cohort does not. I could have missed something though so let me know if I'm wrong.

Out the gate, since Dragon familiar is arcane caster level based, I qualify for a wyrmling gold dragon (8 HD). Dragon Cohort let's me get a very young Bronze Dragon (9 HD) and leadership grants me a wyrmling silver dragon (7 HD).

My gold dragon familiar has enough HD to take leadership himself, and using the draconomicon lists, take a wyrmling brass dragon (4HD) as his cohort. The brass dragon doesn't have enough HD for it to go further.

My very young Bronze Dragon Cohort has 9 HD so he can take Dragon Cohort and leadership both, gaining a very young brass dragon (7 HD) and a wyrmling copper dragon (5 HD) respectively. The very young brass has enough HD to take leadership and pick up a pseudodragon Cohort, ending the chain there.

Lastly my leadership cohort wyrmling silver dragon had enough HD for leadership, gaining a pseudodragon Cohort.

That puts the final tally at 6 Dragons and 2 pseudodragons. I think this AI works. I'll grant it starts from a high op chassis but I think I brought it down a bit by using all my feats essentially on this, so while I'm still a high level sorcerer, I'm certainly not specialized. My question is, is this to much? Will it be effective or do you think the Dragons are just a waste. Looking for any thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 09:12 AM
Okay, my DM and I came up with the idea of running a game where everyone basically comes in at the level their build concept comes online, knowing that this will spread the party level out a bit, and ready to work around that for encounters. Now, I've had this idea for a sort of Master of Dragons character for a while and figured I'd see what I came up with. And screw you Emilia Clarke, you don't have a monopoly on Dragons.

Anyway. The baseline is cheesy but necessary.

Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold
Sorcerer 13 (casts as 16)
Feats: 1(Dragonwrought), 3(Draconic Reservoir), 6(Leadership), 9(Dragon Cohort), 12(Dragon Familiar) and of course use the greater Draconic rite of passage at 6. Now, I saw nothing to indicate that you could not use Dragon Cohort and leadership together. Dragon familiar explicitly overlaps your normal familiar but Dragon Cohort does not. I could have missed something though so let me know if I'm wrong.

Out the gate, since Dragon familiar is arcane caster level based, I qualify for a wyrmling gold dragon (8 HD). Dragon Cohort let's me get a very young Bronze Dragon (9 HD) and leadership grants me a wyrmling silver dragon (7 HD).

My gold dragon familiar has enough HD to take leadership himself, and using the draconomicon lists, take a wyrmling brass dragon (4HD) as his cohort. The brass dragon doesn't have enough HD for it to go further.

My very young Bronze Dragon Cohort has 9 HD so he can take Dragon Cohort and leadership both, gaining a very young brass dragon (7 HD) and a wyrmling copper dragon (5 HD) respectively. The very young brass has enough HD to take leadership and pick up a pseudodragon Cohort, ending the chain there.

Lastly my leadership cohort wyrmling silver dragon had enough HD for leadership, gaining a pseudodragon Cohort.

That puts the final tally at 6 Dragons and 2 pseudodragons. I think this AI works. I'll grant it starts from a high op chassis but I think I brought it down a bit by using all my feats essentially on this, so while I'm still a high level sorcerer, I'm certainly not specialized. My question is, is this to much? Will it be effective or do you think the Dragons are just a waste. Looking for any thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Why not slap on spellhording be a wizard with a single sorcerer dip and go into ultimate Magus for double caster levels ever ultimate Magus level you take. Because it gives you wizard and sorcerer levels but spellhording template turns all spontaneous arcane casting into wizard casting. Also you need no spell book because you use your own scales for your spell book.

AnachroNinja
2016-05-01, 09:18 AM
That's not a bad idea from a pure power standpoint, but I'm not really trying to blow up everything, just maximize my dragon count at a reasonable level without losing to much usefulness in game. Thanks for the feedback though!

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 09:18 AM
Also you can polymorph into real dragons. And there are spells that allow you to assume a dragon form.

And ehh I figured your dragons would be doing your fighting for you so he'll wizard is still better. You can stock up on utility spells and have shiny glowing scales of arcane powah to boot (rp purposes) and you can act like the kobold form is your fake.form because ya know kobolds are truendragons yada yada yada. Was just an idea.

Another edit. Take the dragon ally spells and I know there's some aspect of the dragon or some junk. Cant remember the book. It turns you into an adult red dragon.

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 09:40 AM
Oh it's lesser dragonshape. Its a 6th level spell from dragon magic that turns you into a large sized red dragon for x/rounds where x is your caster level

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-01, 11:53 AM
The problem is, no one here can tell you. Some groups do actually enjoy time-bending reality altering god wizard shenanigans. In which case, your PC is laughably under-powered. In a more traditional game...Um, I would worry more about paperwork then the dragons themselves. Having one extra NPC buddy can slow things down, how will the other players feel when your turns take 20 minutes or more? I would scale back the number of minions on this basis alone.