PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Revelry Domain (Critique wanted)

tombowings
2016-05-01, 08:43 AM
This is one of the homebrew domains I wrote up for my ancient Greece campaign. There were several deities for which none of the PHB domains really fit. I wrote this domains as the embodiment of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, madness, and theater (though it really fails to cover much of the latter concept).

Revelry Domain

The revelry domain embodies deities associated with wine, feasts, merriment, drunkenness, gluttony, debauchery, and ritual madness, including Dionysus, Olidammara, and the Devourer. It reflects both the fleeting joy and unshakable depression and confusion. Here nature and civilization collide, turn men into beasts and beasts into men – exploring all of the indulgences that life has to offer, from feats and drunkenness, to heroism and ravenous bloodshed.

Revelry Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells
1st - Goodberry, Sleep
3rd - Enthrall, Suggestion
5th - Create Food and Water, Plant Growth
7th - Confusion, Polymorph
9th - Awaken, Dream

Bonus Cantrip
At 1st level, you learn the vicious mockery cantrip if you don’t know it already. It counts as a cleric spell for you.

Gift of Merriment
At 1st level, whenever an ally within 30 feet of you that you can see makes a weapon attack roll, you can use your reaction to instill in that ally the spirit of merriment, giving your ally advantage on the attack roll.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Spirit of Intoxication
Beginning at 2nd level, you can use your channel divinity as an action on your turn to disorient one creature within 30 in a fit of uncontrollable drunkenness. The creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed saving throw, the creature is put under the effects of the confusion spell. It cannot take reactions and must roll a d10 at the start of each of its turns to determine its behavior for that turn.

Channel Divinity: Feast of Slaughter
Beginning at 6th level, you can use your Channel Divinity as an action on your turn to invoke the spirit of delicious slaughter and madness. For the next minute, any time a creature, friend or foe, within 30 of you that you can see is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, you and all allies within 30 feet regain hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Divine Strike
Starting at 8th level, You gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 psychic damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Reason Through Madness
Starting at 17th level, you have resistant to psychic damage and have advantage on saving throw to avoid becoming frightened or charmed or to avoid the effects of confusion.

Furthermore, whenever you succeed a saving throw to resist psychic damage or becoming frightened or charmed or to avoid the effects of confusion, you may use your reaction to force the attackers to repeated the same save throw. On a failed save, the spell or effect is reflected back upon the attacker.

Amnoriath
2016-05-01, 10:37 AM
I think this sub-class has a bit of mistaken identity. You have a set of spells and a couple of low level abilities that suggest a sort of merriment and support but then you gain abilities associated with battle as well as madness. Personally to make it stay with the revelry them you need to change your 8th level abilities and up.

tombowings
2016-05-01, 12:04 PM
I think this sub-class has a bit of mistaken identity. You have a set of spells and a couple of low level abilities that suggest a sort of merriment and support but then you gain abilities associated with battle as well as madness. Personally to make it stay with the revelry them you need to change your 8th level abilities and up.

I'll take that as a compliment then; it's exactly what I was aiming for. As I said, it's a domain made for one specific deity: Dionysus. The domain abilities start out seemingly harmless, then as it progress, they becomes mores more and more dark. It's like at a party. The first flew glasses are nice, but once you've had two or three liters of wine, it brings out different sides of your personality.

You are perhaps correct that Revelry is a bit of a misnomer. Any other suggestions?

Princess
2016-05-05, 12:03 AM
I'll take that as a compliment then; it's exactly what I was aiming for. As I said, it's a domain made for one specific deity: Dionysus. The domain abilities start out seemingly harmless, then as it progress, they becomes mores more and more dark. It's like at a party. The first flew glasses are nice, but once you've had two or three liters of wine, it brings out different sides of your personality.

You are perhaps correct that Revelry is a bit of a misnomer. Any other suggestions?

Frenzy, Indulgence, or something to combine those ideas would make more sense. Because just "revelry" implies positive things, which suddenly driving people insane and beating them up undermines. I get the theme you're going for but can't figure out how to express the idea in English.

Schedim
2016-05-16, 06:40 AM
I really like rhis, if the name feels unfit (I'm not sure about that) Baccanalia is perhaps better suited.

But Revelty fits better with the other Domain names.

Grynning
2016-05-16, 12:27 PM
This is pretty similar to a Warlock path we did over at the blog. Overall I dig it. Having Confusion as both a spell and as a Channel Divinity seems a bit redundant though...maybe make the Channel Divinity more of a drunken rage effect? Like, the creature has to attack the closest thing every turn, and has both advantage to hit and to be hit, or something like that.