PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Thaneborn (Critique wanted)

tombowings
2016-05-01, 08:52 AM
Back when I was playing 4e D&D, one of my favorite PCs was a thaneborn barbarian. For my mythic Greece campaign, I decided to bring it back as a Barbarian Path for Fifth Edition. This is what I came up with. It's a little different than the barbarian paths presented in the PHB and I could use some help getting the details right.

Path of the Thaneborn

The Great Thane was the title given to the barbarian conqueror of Valanta, whose skill in battle was only matched by his intimidating presence and loyalty of his peers. As a thaneborn, you follow in the footsteps of the Great Thane. Your primal fury fuels your already imposing personality. Your combination of physical prowess and inspiring presence draws allies to your side and fills your foes with fear.

Triumphant Shout
Starting when you select this path at 3rd level, your battle prowess begins to inspire those around you. Whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, you and all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier.

Inspiring Presence
Beginning at 6th level, your presence and headfast resilience allows your allies stand in the face of fear and uncertainly, never surrender, even under the effects of charms and enchantments. Whenever you are raging, you and all allies within 30 feet gain advantage on saving throws to against being frightened or charmed.

Word of the Chieftain
Starting at 10th level, your growing reputation and experience begins to give you an edge in diplomacy and negotiation. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: history, insight, intimidate, or persuasion.

Thaneborn Charge
Starting 14th Level, your sheer force of will refuses to let go - driving your allies ever forwards towards victory. Whenever you hit an enemy with a melee attack after moving 10 or more feet on your turn, you can use a bonus action to allow a number of allies equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1 ally) within 30 feet who can see and hear you to use their reactions to move up to their speed and make a melee attack against the same enemy.
You may not use this path feature again until after you finish a short or extended rest.

Designer’s Note: This path was intentionally designed to be stronger in comparison to the path of the berserker and path of the totem to compensate for its dependency on charisma in addition to strength, constitution, and dexterity.

Amnoriath
2016-05-01, 08:59 AM
Actually it isn't really stronger than either of them. Your first ability is a small boost which may come up once or twice of a typical encounter. Your second is strong but doesn't best mindless rage. Your 10th level feature is actually weaker than either of them. Only your last ability is the real game changer and could use a little refining, namely the enemy requirement.

Final Hyena
2016-05-01, 09:31 AM
Triumphant Shout
Starting when you select this path at 3rd level, your battle prowess begins to inspire those around you. Whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, you and all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier.

I like the idea of the class, I fear that Triumphant shout doesn't scale too well.

I have a major migraine so take the suggestion with salt; make it affect cha mod allies within 30 feet to heal barb level + cha mod

tombowings
2016-05-01, 09:38 AM
Actually it isn't really stronger than either of them. Your first ability is a small boost which may come up once or twice of a typical encounter. Your second is strong but doesn't best mindless rage. Your 10th level feature is actually weaker than either of them. Only your last ability is the real game changer and could use a little refining, namely the enemy requirement.

Maybe, compared to frenzy, which is very institutional, Triumphant Shout seems much more useful. Perhaps if it were to allow allies to regain hit points instead of giving out temp hp or is the healing just too low? The 10th level feature probably is too weak, though. I will rethink that one. Thanks.

tombowings
2016-05-01, 09:39 AM
I like the idea of the class, I fear that Triumphant shout doesn't scale too well.

I have a major migraine so take the suggestion with salt; make it affect cha mod allies within 30 feet to heal barb level + cha mod

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

Final Hyena
2016-05-01, 09:45 AM
Perhaps if it were to allow allies to regain hit points instead of giving out temp hp or is the healing just too low?.

I realised my mistake in saying heal. It would be broken if it healed rather than temp, because you just smash a chicken over the head. You either need to balance it with it being temp hp or by limiting uses per day. Limiting it to temp hp feels more in line with what I imagine the ability to do.

Amnoriath
2016-05-01, 10:28 AM
Maybe, compared to frenzy, which is very institutional, Triumphant Shout seems much more useful. Perhaps if it were to allow allies to regain hit points instead of giving out temp hp or is the healing just too low? The 10th level feature probably is too weak, though. I will rethink that one. Thanks.

I am not saying it is weak. I am saying it isn't stronger than the other 2 and no don't make it heal, mechanically it is fine as is. The main problem I see with this archetype is that people, like me, who go for 5e aren't familiar with every specific flavor facet and power sets of 4e that this idea of the Great Thane is a bit lost in translation to me. Seeing that is so mechanically oriented it just doesn't evoke the flavor you may have intended, especially when the only thing that changes the character specifically is a single skill proficiency.

tombowings
2016-05-01, 12:21 PM
I am not saying it is weak. I am saying it isn't stronger than the other 2 and no don't make it heal, mechanically it is fine as is. The main problem I see with this archetype is that people, like me, who go for 5e aren't familiar with every specific flavor facet and power sets of 4e that this idea of the Great Thane is a bit lost in translation to me. Seeing that is so mechanically oriented it just doesn't evoke the flavor you may have intended, especially when the only thing that changes the character specifically is a single skill proficiency.

Yeah. If you never saw one in 4e, that's understandable. One of the goals was to open up Cha as a combat-oriented ability for barbarians, making a barbarian face-type character who leads from the front viable without taking away from his or her battle prowess. Thanks for pointing out that the flavor doesn't come across. It gives me a good idea of what needs to be reworked.

tombowings
2016-05-02, 07:26 AM
Here a couple more features I have been debating about including to enhance the flavor. What do you all think?

Furious Challenge
Starting at 6th / 14th level, whenever you are raging, you can let out a furious challenge that calls an opponent to arms as an action. Choose a creatures within 30 feet of you that can see and hear you. Each creature must make a Wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. One a failed save, any attacks that do not include you as a target are made with disadvantage and cannot willingly move away from you. This effect ends whenever you stop raging or if you willingly move more than 30 feet away from the target.

Words of the Victor
Starting at 10th level, you fighting prowess and reputation begins to give you an edge in diplomacy and negotiation. After you finish raging, you have advantage on all Charisma (Intimidation) and Charisma (Persuasion) checks you make until you complete a short or long rest.

Amnoriath
2016-05-02, 11:08 PM
Here a couple more features I have been debating about including to enhance the flavor. What do you all think?

Furious Challenge
Starting at 6th / 14th level, whenever you are raging, you can let out a furious challenge that calls an opponent to arms as an action. Choose a creatures within 30 feet of you that can see and hear you. Each creature must make a Wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. One a failed save, any attacks that do not include you as a target are made with disadvantage and cannot willingly move away from you. This effect ends whenever you stop raging or if you willingly move more than 30 feet away from the target.

Words of the Victor
Starting at 10th level, you fighting prowess and reputation begins to give you an edge in diplomacy and negotiation. After you finish raging, you have advantage on all Charisma (Intimidation) and Charisma (Persuasion) checks you make until you complete a short or long rest.
1. Well first may I suggest if that you want to make charisma a priority that maybe you should offer a feature that would allow them to dump stats other kinds of Barbarians couldn't really.
2. As for your abilities the first one needs an action specification and is definitely a 14th level ability. Your second though is just too much as it is easy to rage once per short rest period.
3. Look, what you need to do right now is outright explain the flavor of the Thaneborn so that we can help you construct a well-rounded concept.