PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged Eidolon Benefits/Bonuses Issue?

timoteo
2016-05-01, 08:54 AM
Hi:

Doing some testing, I recently went to use my ENLARGE PERSON spell on my Eidolon, and I expected it to gain all the benefits from being a size larger (now Large) that is entailed with a Large Eidolon. (i.e. "An Eidolon grows in size, becoming Large. The Eidolon gains a +8 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 bonus to its natural armor. It takes a –2 penalty to its Dexterity. This size change also gives the creature a –1 size penalty to its AC and on attack rolls, a +1 bonus to its CMB and CMD ...").

However, another person said he would not get the bonuses of the Evolution, even though he was that size. I argued it was not too OP since it was very temporary, but he made the point that it a size increase, and not an evolution increase. He says I should just get the +2 to Strength, -2 to dex, etc. as listed in the spell. (He also said I could take advantage of my claws going to the next size dice for damage.) But, the spell does say "This increase changes the creature's size category to the next larger one." So why wouldn't any of the benefits of being that size Eidelon be included?

Any thoughts (or evidence) as to which way this should go down? Also, sorry this may be a dumb question, but it just occurred to me ... are those +X bonuses to strength, etc. to the ability score (I think) ... or do they actually get applied to the modifier directly?

THANKS!!

Necroticplague
2016-05-01, 11:56 AM
1. The bonuses are to the score, always.
2. Your friend is right. Those benefits listed for the Large evolution are a benefit of the Large evolution, not intrinsically a result of an Eidolon being Large.

Buufreak
2016-05-01, 01:47 PM
How are you effecting an outsider with a spell that specifies humanoids?

Necroticplague
2016-05-01, 02:00 PM
How are you effecting an outsider with a spell that specifies humanoids?

Eidolon Share Spells specifically allows this.

Share Spells (Ex)

The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list.

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells.

Buufreak
2016-05-01, 02:02 PM
Ah. Missed that line, carry on then.

timoteo
2016-05-01, 02:35 PM
1. The bonuses are to the score, always.
2. Your friend is right. Those benefits listed for the Large evolution are a benefit of the Large evolution, not intrinsically a result of an Eidolon being Large.

Thanks for the info on both. Although, I'd say with one exception ... and that is, of course, when it says to apply the bonus to something specific. For example ,the POWER ATTACK feat, says to apply +2 to your damage. I think their might be other examples where it is talks specifically about ability modifiers too in some of those too, no?

Ah. Missed that line, carry on then.

You weren't the first, and definitely won't be the last. :smallsmile: I was pretty sure at least one person would question that, as if you're not using a Summoner (or haven't) it is contrary to the wording of the spell itself.

Thanks

Necroticplague
2016-05-01, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info on both. Although, I'd say with one exception ... and that is, of course, when it says to apply the bonus to something specific. For example ,the POWER ATTACK feat, says to apply +2 to your damage. I think their might be other examples where it is talks specifically about ability modifiers too in some of those too, no?

Apples to oranges. There isn't some kind of "damage" vs. "damage modifier" for Power Attack. There's only "damage".

timoteo
2016-05-01, 02:50 PM
Apples to oranges. There isn't some kind of "damage" vs. "damage modifier" for Power Attack. There's only "damage".

Very true. Are there no other spells, feats, etc. that will specifically tell you to alter a modifier itself? (Just curious)