PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Vigilante's Safe House and Harrow Bloodline's Harrowed Home

Levism84
2016-05-01, 09:47 AM
I had an idea for a harrow-themed vigilante that gains access to the harrow bloodline either through variant multiclassing or the eldritch heritage feat chain. When looking at the bloodline's 15th level ability, harrowed home, I was wondering if that would work with the safe house social talent from the vigilante.

The harrowed home spell-like ability states: "At 15th level, your otherworldly connection is so strong that your subconscious cleaves off a small portion of the Harrowed Realm for use as your own private sanctuary. Your harrowed home is created the first time you use this ability, and is decorated as a garish reflection of your personality. Thereafter, you always visit this same home. You can place a portal to your harrowed home once every 24 hours, but placing a new portal destroys the previous one, and you can not move the entrance while you are inside. As long as you are not in your harrowed home, time ceases to pass for anything and anyone still in your pocket dimension; creatures cannot move, objects do not decay, and everything remains exactly the same as you left it the last time you visited the plane. Time continues as normal whenever you are inside your harrowed home. This ability is otherwise identical to mage's magnificent mansion."

The emphasis is mine. It seems pretty clear that the harrowed home is located in the Harrowed Realm, is created in a fixed location, and is the same home each time you visit. Now, this sounds like a pretty sweet secret lair for a vigilante (especially one with a harrow-theme). However, I wanted to see how this would mesh with the vigilante's safe house social talent.

The safe house extraordinary ability states: "The vigilante can establish a safe house in his area of renown, and he can change it every time he changes his area of renown. If he doesn't have the renown talent, he can still select this talent and place the safe house in a single location to which he has access, but he can never move the safe house from its initial location until he gains the renown talent. This safe house must be an area no larger in volume than a cube that is a number of feet per side equal to 10 feet per vigilante level. The safe house can be arranged any way he likes and it can be part of a larger building, like a secret room or an underground cave. Objects within this safe house can't be located by any effect that is less powerful than a discern location spell. At 7th level, this protection from being located also applies to creatures in the safe house. At 13th level, the entire area is protected from scrying effects (though not mundane snooping) like a mage's private sanctum."

Once again, the emphasis is mine. The only stipulation for safe house is that if the vigilante does not possess the renown social talent, the safe house cannot move from its initial location. However, if that initial location is the Harrowed Realm as a part of a fixed magical effect, the safe house social talent should still work, even if you are moving the portal to that fixed location around. Sure, there is some extreme overlap in abilities with a mage's magnificent mansion being protected by a mage's private sanctum since a majority of divination effects cannot extend past planar boundaries. Yet, I like the combination of these two effects. The only real downside is safe house covers 1/3 of the normal area as the harrowed home can create, so you either get to REALLY protect some of your harrowed home while leaving parts of it less protected or you can reduce the size of your harrowed home in order to make sure everything within it is protected to the same degree.

I just wanted to make sure these two abilities played together the way I think they do. If I missed anything, please, let me know.