PDA

View Full Version : continuous protection from sunlight

theboss
2016-05-01, 11:00 AM
So i was wandering through the internet, and found zero results about magic items and spells which grant continuous protection from sunlight or at least 1 hour/level. Is there anyone who found something about it?

Thanks in advance.

DrMotives
2016-05-01, 11:11 AM
I could have sworn there was a spell called penumbra which did exactly that, but I can't seem to find it in either the spell compendium or Libris Mortis.

Ravenica
2016-05-01, 11:14 AM
Pathfinder has Protective Penumbra in Ultimate Magic
d20pfrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protective-penumbra)

theboss
2016-05-01, 11:58 AM
Pathfinder has Protective Penumbra in Ultimate Magic
d20pfrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protective-penumbra)

Sorry, i forgot to mention its 3.5e...

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 12:01 PM
Well if it's for light sensitivity there are goggles for it. If you mean for a vampire I have no idea at all. I know of no spells nor no sunblock

The Viscount
2016-05-01, 12:14 PM
Shadow Canopy as a spell lasts an hour per level, but doesn't move.

theboss
2016-05-01, 12:17 PM
Well if it's for light sensitivity there are goggles for it. If you mean for a vampire I have no idea at all. I know of no spells nor no sunblock

Yes, i mean for a vampire.

Shadow Canopy as a spell lasts an hour per level, but doesn't move.

So i geuss there's nothing against it? That's very odd because i remembered several magic items/spells for 1 hour/level....

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 12:40 PM
Yes, i mean for a vampire.

So i geuss there's nothing against it? That's very odd because i remembered several magic items/spells for 1 hour/level....

Umbrella and mud caked on your body?

Ruethgar
2016-05-01, 12:41 PM
In Dark Sun there is a spell, Cooling Canopy, that lasts 12hr centered on the caster that protects from the sun, but you would have to ask your DM weather that extended to vampirism as that was obviously not the intent of the spell.

I could have sworn there was a feat that let you suppress light slightly around you in a 30ft radius.

There is also the No Light spell combined with Continual Flame or other non-Light magical lights. You would end up always oddly lit unless in natural darkness, but it should work.

It is only min/lvl but it is a cantrip, so a persistent one shouldn't be too hard at higher levels and a continual custom item version would be cheap.

Jowgen
2016-05-01, 12:51 PM
Cloak of Dark Power, 1st level spell of the Drow domain from SpC. Minute per level protection from the effects of full sunlight, even under the open, daytime sky of the surface world.

Custom continous item would be best.

Inevitability
2016-05-01, 12:54 PM
Cloak of Shade might work. It says if 'offers no protection from damage that creatures vulnerable to sunlight might take from the sun', but it also says 'the target is treated as though in shade'. And remember: at no point does a vampire take actual damage from being in direct sunlight.

Jack_Simth
2016-05-01, 12:55 PM
Deeper Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deeperDarkness.htm) causes vision issues (solvable in a few different ways - True Seeing via the spell or the Hathran Mask of True Seeing, the Ebon Eyes spell, and a few other ways), but does the job... up until someone casts Daylight at you.

Belzyk
2016-05-01, 12:57 PM
But wouldn't the natural sun cansel out them effects considering the sunlight spell does it and all it does is duplicate the suns power?

theboss
2016-05-01, 01:02 PM
There's a problem with creating your own magic items according to my DM, even if it's cheap you need to find someone who would make it for you and with my DM that's kind an issue... Let me understand, no one thought about having continuous magic item against sunlight? i mean what about the drow? they're are having issues with it as well...

Jack_Simth
2016-05-01, 01:06 PM
But wouldn't the natural sun cansel out them effects considering the sunlight spell does it and all it does is duplicate the suns power?
Daylight, the stuff that comes out of the sky, is natural lighting, and doesn't impact it. It requires magical light to do that.

Do make sure to Heighten it as much as you can, though, as a common 'gotcha' for adventurers is to heighten Continual Flame to make use of all those "A light spell of lower level" clauses.

theboss
2016-05-01, 01:35 PM
I've found something, it called Goggles of Day (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=3738)
Will it work?

Jack_Simth
2016-05-01, 02:41 PM
I've found something, it called Goggles of Day (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=3738)
Will it work?

They will work exactly as listed in Libris Mortis, page 78. Means that on sudden exposure to sunlight, you've got a full round action rather than just a "single move or attack action" as specified in the vampire entry. It's not the continuous protection you're looking for.

theboss
2016-05-01, 03:35 PM
They will work exactly as listed in Libris Mortis, page 78. Means that on sudden exposure to sunlight, you've got a full round action rather than just a "single move or attack action" as specified in the vampire entry. It's not the continuous protection you're looking for.

So how do i get what i am looking for? Deeper Darkness is a magical darkness which i cannot have a visual in it.
Other ideas perhaps?

Zanos
2016-05-01, 03:47 PM
For 150 gp, a flask of Liquid Night from Libris Mortis will protect a creature from it's sunlight vulnerability for 1 hour. It takes a full round action to apply.

Jack_Simth
2016-05-01, 04:48 PM
So how do i get what i am looking for? Deeper Darkness is a magical darkness which i cannot have a visual in it.Hence the parenthetical note in the same post when I suggested it.
True Seeing will penetrate magical darkness. The Hathran Mask of True Seeing (Unapproachable East, page 57) grants continuous True Seeing.

The Ebon Eyes spell (Spell Compendium, page 77) doesn't give you darkvision, but if you have darkvision (which, as a vampire, you do) it lets you see through magical darkness. 10 minutes/level, Cleric 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Assasin 1.

The Devil's Eye spell (book of Vile Darkness, page 92; Fiendish Codex II, page 101) gives darkvision-30 that penetrates magical darkness.

And, of course, Deeper Darkness itself comes with a partial solution via inheritance from Darkness: "If darkness is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a lightproof covering, the spell’s effect is blocked until the covering is removed." - just place your Deeper Darkness Dull Gray Ioun Stone into a bag when you need to see clearly.

Ruethgar
2016-05-01, 07:48 PM
No Light is a Cantrip that blocks the sun and can be seen through with Darkvision normally. It suffers for 1/10 the duration of Darkness and Deeper Darkness though.

Crake
2016-05-01, 08:27 PM
There's the spell Night's Mantle from Lords of Darkness, a 3.0 forgotten realms book. 10 minutes/level, 1,000gp ruby dust per casting, but lets a vampire function in sunlight completely without any issue. It is a 4th level cleric only spell though.

A continuous item of that would cost 184,000gp

Âmesang
2016-05-01, 08:50 PM
Cloak of Dark Power, 1st level spell of the Drow domain from SpC. Minute per level protection from the effects of full sunlight, even under the open, daytime sky of the surface world.

Custom continous item would be best.
What would you call that, though? Cloak of cloak of dark power?

EDIT: I'm not against the idea at all; just a bit of silliness on my part. :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2016-05-01, 08:59 PM
What would you call that, though? Cloak of cloak of dark power?

EDIT: I'm not against the idea at all; just a bit of silliness on my part. :smalltongue:

Nah. Cloak2 of Dark Power.

Malroth
2016-05-01, 10:44 PM
teach an orc Iron heart surge and have him end the sun.

Âmesang
2016-05-02, 06:37 AM
"The horrible, life-giving sun! We've finally defeated it with SCIENCE MAGIC!!"

Speaking of which orc paragons lose their weakness to sun and a drow paragon's weakness is lessened (and can be removed entirely by the feat, Daylight Adaptation from Player's Guide to Faerûn).