PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Default NPC Inventories?

Jeff the Green
2016-05-01, 11:47 AM
I'm running a high-level game right now, and I'm finding that what's taking up most of my time is coming up with NPC inventories. (The majority of the enemies so far are humanoids.) And it's not anywhere near as fun as coming up with the NPCs themselves.

Has anyone come up with "default" inventories? Like a wizard of this level should have these magic items, and then you can swap things out?

Gildedragon
2016-05-01, 12:06 PM
The MIC has some nice quick inventory guidelines

Âmesang
2016-05-01, 07:31 PM
I believe the DUNGEON MASTER'S Guide also has a list of equipment to give NPC characters of PC classes at various levels.

Jeff the Green
2016-05-01, 08:47 PM
Awesome, thank you guys!

Coidzor
2016-05-02, 02:11 AM
It doesn't do anything for the bells and whistles like wands and pearls of power and Night-Caller's Whistles, but something like Grod's Chopping Down The Christmas Tree (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357810-Chopping-Down-the-Christmas-Tree-Low-Magic-Item-Rules) or Pathfinder's progression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/automatic-bonus-progression) might be of some interest to basically slap on there to take care of the basics so that there's just the actual interesting toys to play with.

Scorponok
2016-05-02, 02:11 PM
Here is the list I always use whenever a PC decides to check the pockets/bags of one of the hapless NPCs who got themselves killed.

Random Possessions
1: piece of wood
2: bottle of cheap ale
3: square of hemp cloth (enough to make a shirt or pair of pants)
4: bandages
5: square of leather hide (1/4 enough to make hide armor)
6: handful of feathers
7: a lime
8: a piece of cheese
9: foot long stick sharpened at the end
10: cocoon silk (1d6)
11: piece of iron ore
12: rabbit hide, already tanned
13: glowing 4 leaf clover
14: midnight black oil in a flask
15: bag of 6 apples
16: small bags of some type of herb (could be tea leaves or drugs, or alchemical items)
17: colorful feather from an exotic bird
18: hollow sheep horn that smells like beer
19: giant spider silk wrapped around a piece of wood
20: bag of unrefined gold ore

KillianHawkeye
2016-05-02, 02:15 PM
Here is the list I always use whenever a PC decides to check the pockets/bags of one of the hapless NPCs who got themselves killed.

Random Possessions
1: piece of wood
2: bottle of cheap ale
3: square of hemp cloth (enough to make a shirt or pair of pants)
4: bandages
5: square of leather hide (1/4 enough to make hide armor)
6: handful of feathers
7: a lime
8: a piece of cheese
9: foot long stick sharpened at the end
10: cocoon silk (1d6)
11: piece of iron ore
12: rabbit hide, already tanned
13: glowing 4 leaf clover
14: midnight black oil in a flask
15: bag of 6 apples
16: small bags of some type of herb (could be tea leaves or drugs, or alchemical items)
17: colorful feather from an exotic bird
18: hollow sheep horn that smells like beer
19: giant spider silk wrapped around a piece of wood
20: bag of unrefined gold ore

I have to ask, is this list inspired by the Elder Scrolls video game series? Because I started getting Skyrim flashbacks just reading it, LOL. :smallamused:

Scorponok
2016-05-03, 02:30 AM
Haha, no, not at all. I've changed this considerably from my campaign because some of the stuff was campaign specific. (Pinderwood Apple, from the forests of the Pinderwood just becomes Apple, and so on.)