PDA

View Full Version : Help with build

flappeercraft
2016-05-01, 01:23 PM
Right now im designing a orber wizard build that uses a metamagicked lvl 9 orb or fire (SpC) and the only problems are the spells globe of invulnerability, spell turning and a rod of absorption. I know I can dispel the globe of invulnerability and suspend the effect of the rod of absortion but I would rather to just plain go through them.

GnomishPride
2016-05-01, 01:28 PM
Heighten Spell is your friend. It can increase the effective level of a spell to bypass GoI.
By a cheesy reading of the rules, you can even ignore other metamagic costs.

A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

Example: Maximized Fireball: effective level 3, spell slot 6 --> heighten to 4th level: effective level 4, spell slot 4 (because it's as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level!)

MisterKaws
2016-05-01, 01:53 PM
Instantaneous Conjuration(Creation) effects aren't affected by Globe of Invulnerability, because it only suppresses magical effects, and Conjuration(Creation) explicitly says that all effects are nonmagical as soon as the casting is finished. Thus, you can just ignore any effects that blocks spells, but you instead have to worry about effects that block physical projectiles.

flappeercraft
2016-05-01, 03:52 PM
Thank you guys thanks to this I can now exploit this game even more.

GnomishPride
2016-05-01, 03:58 PM
Welcome to GitP: where people help you break the game completely... and then some!

flappeercraft
2016-05-01, 04:07 PM
Well globe of invulnerability is solved but the problem of spell turning still remains along with the rod of absorption

MisterKaws
2016-05-01, 05:22 PM
Well globe of invulnerability is solved but the problem of spell turning still remains along with the rod of absorption

Neither work because Orb of Fire is an Effect-type spell(unaffected by Spell Turning) and the only thing targeted at the owner of the rod is a big nasty non-magical ball of fire.

flappeercraft
2016-05-02, 07:33 PM
Is there anything else I would have to cover against? Only thing I can think of is a celerity pyrotechnics combo which would actually just extinguish one if it even worked

MisterKaws
2016-05-02, 09:05 PM
Is there anything else I would have to cover against? Only thing I can think of is a celerity pyrotechnics combo which would actually just extinguish one if it even worked

Wings of Cover, but you don't usually see DM's doing that, and the only way to negate Wings of Cover is by using a metapsionic feat, which you can't use as a Wizard. In short, it's still "Power Word: No" for your orb.