PDA

View Full Version : +0 la non-drow elf with Darkvision

Yogibear41
2016-05-01, 09:08 PM
Are there any +0 la elf races other than the lesser drow, that have Darkvision?

DrMotives
2016-05-01, 09:25 PM
Half-drow, although that's probably not an answer you wanted.

MisterKaws
2016-05-01, 09:35 PM
Not on any WotC-legal material.

Wacky89
2016-05-01, 09:41 PM
Feats you could take:
Otherworldly gives you Darvision 60', +2 on diplomacy, and alter self cheese.
Orc-Blooded (Dragon #315) gives you Darkvision 30' and adds barbarian to your favored classes (good for that pounce dip).
Shape Soulmeld: Basilisk Mask can give you Darkvision 30' per essentia invested, but you'd need a source of essentia... probably from another Incarnum feat. There's another soulmeld you can bind to your brow with Open Lesser Chakra for Darkvision 60'.

Troacctid
2016-05-01, 10:04 PM
Dragonborn.

Half-drow, although that's probably not an answer you wanted.
Half-drow don't have darkvision in 3.5.

DrMotives
2016-05-01, 10:21 PM
Dragonborn.

Half-drow don't have darkvision in 3.5.

Ok, I first checked in Races of the Faerun to see half-drow having it for free. But in 3.5 "Drow of the Underdark", half-drow instead may purchase a feat called Drow Legacy that gives them darkvision plus other perks that a full-blooded drow gets, but without the LA.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-01, 10:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Drow of the Underdark isn't FR material. Races of Forgotten Realms is, which also has different elven sub-races then presented in the Monster Manual. I could be wrong, however.

Yogibear41
2016-05-01, 10:39 PM
If you read the table in Drow of the Underdark on page 220, it basically says Half-Drow don't exist outside of Faerun. Outside of Faerun Drow+Human = normal half elf. That feat is for Half-Elfs that have a drow parent to be more drow like. Technically its not for Half-Drow.

I think most people would agree that the normal half-elf is weak enough that adding 60ft Darkvision on top of it isn't anything super exciting, and depending on your campaign, looking like a drow could make for a short adventuring career.

Either way for my purposes the character needs to be full blooded elf, a Half-Elf won't do. Basically because in our campaign elves are immortal, half-elves aren't.

MisterKaws
2016-05-02, 12:19 AM
You don't really need to care that much about Darkvision, though.

Yogibear41
2016-05-02, 12:26 AM
You don't really need to care that much about Darkvision, though.

At low levels, when everyone else in the party has it, and one character doesn't it can make a big deal. Sure spells or magic items can fix just about anything, but why waste gold/spell slots if you don't have to?

Âmesang
2016-05-02, 06:33 AM
Not quite the same thing but the Savage Progressions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) article has a "base drow" that has some of the abilities of a drow, including darkvision 60 ft. The remaining abilities are obtained by taking drow racial levels (effectively giving you the required level adjustment).

ShurikVch
2016-05-02, 07:52 AM
Celadrin (Dragon #350) is Half-Elf/Half-Eladrin planetouched, and - like all planetouched - have darkvision; LA: +1, but Lesser Planetouched will remove it.
Also - like "normal" Half-Elves - have Elven Blood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#halfElves)

Inevitability
2016-05-02, 09:13 AM
Now that Shurik has brought up planetouched: aren't Fey'ri technically still elves?

DrMotives
2016-05-02, 10:23 AM
Now that Shurik has brought up planetouched: aren't Fey'ri technically still elves?

They aren't a zero LA race, but sure, they're elves. Specifically, they're native outsiders with the Elven Blood trait, which makes them count as elves for everything.

Inevitability
2016-05-02, 10:40 AM
They aren't a zero LA race, but sure, they're elves. Specifically, they're native outsiders with the Elven Blood trait, which makes them count as elves for everything.

They are planetouched, though, so you could play a Lesser Fey'ri.

It's bound to result in thrown books, I know, but it technically qualifies.

atemu1234
2016-05-04, 10:19 AM
They are planetouched, though, so you could play a Lesser Fey'ri.

It's bound to result in thrown books, I know, but it technically qualifies.

That's one of my old favorite tricks.

I once actually did get a book thrown at my head, but that was by a player who was angry another player got reincarnated into a Lesser Fey'ri, rather than a DM (though, me throwing a book at myself would look weird).

Why on earth do lesser drow not have darkvision, though? It makes no sense mechanically. They literally live underground!

ShurikVch
2016-05-04, 10:32 AM
Why on earth do lesser drow not have darkvision, though? It makes no sense mechanically. They literally live underground!According to PGF, Lesser Drow have Darkvision 60'
I think Yogibear41 either really don't want to play a Drow - Lesser or not - for whatever reason; or just already know about that option and looking for alternatives

Darrin
2016-05-04, 11:52 AM
Why on earth do lesser drow not have darkvision, though? It makes no sense mechanically. They literally live underground!

I would have to guess that whoever wrote the sidebar in Drow of the Underdark felt that, since half-drow are nearly identical to standard half-elves other than the darkvision, and darkvision is significantly better than low-light vision, no one would want to ever play vanilla half-elves. So instead of fixing the actual problem (the racial abilities of half-elves just plain suck), they hit the half-drow with the Sledgehammer of Sameness and called it a day.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-04, 12:15 PM

I don't think they actually do. I think most are actually above ground as the drow would murder all half-breeds before they got out of diapers. I believe most of the half-drow in that setting actually rule over a human nation for their drow masters, so they'd need to go out in daylight quite a lot.

DrMotives
2016-05-04, 09:08 PM
I don't think they actually do. I think most are actually above ground as the drow would murder all half-breeds before they got out of diapers. I believe most of the half-drow in that setting actually rule over a human nation for their drow masters, so they'd need to go out in daylight quite a lot.

Lesser drow, not half-drow. A lesser drow is intended to replace all drow, both PC & NPC in a campaign. So lesser drow are the drow, in a world where no one wants them to have LA.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-04, 09:09 PM
Ah, my mistake! That...Is really weird. Why no Darkvision? Are they surface assassins?

nyjastul69
2016-05-04, 09:43 PM
Lesser drow, not half-drow. A lesser drow is intended to replace all drow, both PC & NPC in a campaign. So lesser drow are the drow, in a world where no one wants them to have LA.

Can you support that position with a source citation?