PDA

View Full Version : Index Ways to maximize the raw number of feats you have

SangoProduction
2016-05-01, 10:44 PM
I want to know how many ways there are to get the absolute maximum number of feats possible within 12 levels.

Rules: The feat granted must be able to be freely allocated to any feat, or within such a large group, or of such high value, as to make the restriction meaningless. So Fighter feats aren't counted, but the Human bonus feat is. Metamagic might be as well for spell caster builds.

Level limit: 12

Race available: all...and yes, we all know about the Humans. There've got to be other (sub)races out there that get feats!

Spells available: none. I haven't met a DM who saw a spell that gave feats as anything they'd let in their game. ....But I guess you can mention those Dark Chaos Shuffles and what have you.

Content available: 3.5 content preferred. 3.0, Dragon Magazine, Web Enhancement, and PF content accepted (but should be marked as such).

Also, please state the source so I can easily reference it in the table.

I'll put results of the feats with the above prerequisites here in the following table

Method
Feat(s) Gained
Reference

Human (Race)
Any feat
Player's Handbook (3.5, PF, 3.0)

Level
(1, 3, 6, 9, 12)
Any feat
Player's Handbook (3.5, 3.0)

Flaws
Any feat per flaw
??

Strongheart Halflings (Race)
Any feat
Forgotten Realms

Human Paragon
(Level ???)
Any feat
???

Ardent Dilettante
(Level 4,7,10)
Any feat
???

Citadel Elite
(Level 2,4)
Any feat
Sharn: City of Towers

Chameleon (The Prestige Class)
(Level 2)
Any feat, swappable every day
Races of Destiny, page 11

Generic Class Dips
Any feat
???

And ways to gain feats that somewhat fit the prerequisites above, or those that are merely not preferred, like spells, in this table because that seems useful.

Method
Feat(s) Gained
Reference

Paragon Surge (Spell)
Any Feat for 1 min/level
Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paragon-surge)

Mirror Move (Spell)
(Int Mod) Feats with "obvious physical effect" for 1 min/level
Wizard's Archive (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20000901a)

Bloodlines
1 to 2 feats at the cost of 1 to 3 levels over 12, although most of them suck
???

Thrall of Demogorgon / Orcus
(levels 1, 4, 7, 10
any feat
Book of Vile Darkness

And ways to gain feats that are far from meeting the prerequisites above in this table because that seems even more useful.

Method
Feat(s) Gained
Reference

Fighter
Any Fighter Feat
Player's Handbook (3.5, 3.0)

Heroics (Spell)
Any Fighter Feat for 10 min/level
Spell Compendium

Hellbred(body)
(Race?)
(HD 1, 4, 12)
Devil's Favor feat + 2 devil-touched feats
???

Rosetta Stone
Polyglot
Dragon 297

Embrace / Shun the Dark Chaos (Spell)
Change feat to another
???

Legacy Champion
(Level 4,8)
Legacy feats
Weapons of Legacy

If you are interested in more ways to get feats, you can check out this List of Feat Granting Items/Locations/Grafts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts)

Thurbane
2016-05-01, 11:00 PM
I recently asked a similar question: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483129-3-5-Bonus-Feats

...some good advice in there.

SangoProduction
2016-05-01, 11:05 PM
I recently asked a similar question: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483129-3-5-Bonus-Feats

...some good advice in there.

This always seems to happen. Well, at least now I get to see it, thanks.

Thurbane
2016-05-01, 11:06 PM
Well, my question was quite specific, I'm sure you'll get answers here that weren't already covered.

And putting it in table format will be very useful for future reference.

SangoProduction
2016-05-01, 11:10 PM
Well, my question was quite specific, I'm sure you'll get answers here that weren't already covered.

And putting it in table format will be very useful for future reference.

Yeah. I'm reading through your forum now. It's 11:00 pm here. I'll put the various methods I find in here. I'll probably even add a second table for methods that don't meet the prerequisites specified.

Geddy2112
2016-05-01, 11:20 PM
If you are a half elf in pathfinder, you qualify for the spell paragon surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paragon-surge) which gives you a feat each time you cast it. They also start with skill focus as a bonus feat.

Pathfinder brawlers can learn a combat feat on the fly using martial flexibility, eventually learning multiples at higher levels.

karinrin55
2016-05-01, 11:44 PM
You can take flaws, by worsening your abilities to do curtain things you get feats.

You can take two at level one and then it's your DM's choice of how many you can take from there, but it's a pretty solid way to get "free" feats.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-02, 12:10 AM
Don't Strongheart halflings from Forgotten Realms also get a bonus feat, just like humans?

Bullet06320
2016-05-02, 12:26 AM
The Rosetta Stone, Dragon 297, studying it for a week grants the Polyglot feat

Thurbane
2016-05-02, 12:27 AM
Hellbred (body) get 3 bonus feats: 1 is locked in as Devil's Favor; the other two can be any Devil Touched feats they qualify for (levels 4 and 14).

Gildedragon
2016-05-02, 12:50 AM
the human paragon class gets a bonus feat

the Dark Chaos can make any feat into any other feat (making fighter feats or bought feats into others)

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-02, 12:55 AM
Human paragon grants an open bonus feat

Ardent Dilettant gets an open bonus feat at 4 7 and 10. Ardent dilletant is also dumb and annoying. So take legacy champion to get through it. Then you get like 6 bonus item legacy feats too.

Citadel elite gets bonus feats at 2nd and 4th level. Any feat. It's a pretty good fighter prestige class.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-02, 01:25 AM
If you're willing to forfeit the ability to be raised from death you can sell your soul for any feat for which you qualify; rules in the early part of FC2.

Gildedragon
2016-05-02, 01:38 AM
Chamaleon gives you any feat you qualify for for a day

Doctor Despair
2016-05-02, 04:51 AM
Don't forget that Bloodlines can grant a myriad of feats before level 2 if you take all three levels then! They technically don't count against your ECL either, so they're just a bonus. :)

Inevitability
2016-05-02, 05:02 AM
Half-elf paragons gain a bonus feat at 1st-level.

Bullet06320
2016-05-02, 05:36 AM
what about retraining rules from PHBII, lets say you get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole and then retrain it to something more useful to your build?

SangoProduction
2016-05-02, 05:43 AM
what about retraining rules from PHBII, lets say you get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole and then retrain it to something more useful to your build?

I'm fairly certain retraining requires the feat to be something else that you could have gotten when you got that feat. For instance, you can't retrain a fighter's level 2 bonus feat to be Maximize Spell, because you don't have the option for Maximize spell with Fighter levels.

Don't forget that Bloodlines can grant a myriad of feats before level 2 if you take all three levels then! They technically don't count against your ECL either, so they're just a bonus. :)

You still have to pay the levels before you reach the marked levels (3, 6, 12, nix 3 for minor/moderate and nix 6 for minor), but yeah, pretty nice.

Thurbane
2016-05-02, 05:47 AM
It's hard to find a copy, but the High Handcrafter PrC from the Shackled City Adventure path hardcover (which is technically first party, just like the Dragon Compendium).

Its a 5 level PrC that gives 3/5 casting progression OR 3 bonus feats. The bonus feats are not defined anywhere in the text, so it's safe to assume they can be any feats you qualify for.

It's a bit adventure specific, but it's got some nice features.

Necroticplague
2016-05-02, 07:13 AM
Generic Warrior offers up feats as the same progression as Fighter, but doesn't restrict them to anything.
Generic Expert has a much slower feat progression, but can still be dipped for a feat.

MisterKaws
2016-05-02, 08:27 AM
Mandatory world record link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16939083&postcount=21).

Though 80% of the feat is just buying as many Legacy weapons as possible and then doing a Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle on them, it's still 104 feats otherwise.

mabriss lethe
2016-05-02, 10:52 AM
You can always become the pawn of an elder evil. Gain bonus vile feats /5 levels + 1 when you seal the deal. (not the same as the 'selling your soul' rules in FC2.

Shalist
2016-05-02, 11:28 AM
AFB, but...

-The shifter shapechanger subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#shapechangerSubtype) gives proficiencies for any (and all) weapon(s) you mention in your character's description. (Edit) And any armor you mention, as well as 'all lighter forms.' And shields. (/edit)

-Reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm) removes a level, and presumably removes lycanthropy, yet very specifically does not remove feats/skills. Incidentally, being a legendary were-tiger yields 24 animal RHD (and the shifter shapechanger subtype).

If you're curious about where one might find such a rare and magnificent creature, as always, the best place to check is your character's backstory.

Edit: My tablet-fu is weak, and needs discipline. Added links, and mention of armor proficiencies.

Bakkan
2016-05-02, 02:17 PM
Azurin (Magic of Incarnum) get a bonus feat like humans.

If you have Skill Focus (Diplomacy) when you take your first level of Marshal, you can choose another feat.

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-02, 03:01 PM
If you have Skill Focus (Diplomacy) when you take your first level of Marshal, you can choose another feat.

And then retrain skill focus a level later to get what you really wanted

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-02, 03:20 PM
Its a 5 level PrC that gives 3/5 casting progression OR 3 bonus feats.
In the same vein, there are two BoVD PrCs that grant the same: Thrall of Demogorgon and Thrall of Orcus. Four feats over ten levels, or four levels of casting advancement. You can alternate freely, if you want.

nedz
2016-05-02, 04:07 PM

You can do this with Healer 2 and Skill Focus (Heal) also.

Windrammer
2016-05-02, 05:05 PM
There's a fighter archetype in the midnight campaign setting that nearly doubles your feats.