PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas

umbrapolaris
2016-05-01, 11:52 PM
hi,

so im creating a class that is a kind of a soulknife assassin "anti-caster" type. it uses soulknife and roguish abilties to fight any kind of supernatural users (arcane/divine magic , psionic, binding, SLA, etc...). to be simple , everything using any kind of spells or psionic powers are his foes.

The class must choose between 3 paths related to its anti-caster theme; unfortunately i came up only with 2 paths and need a third one.

1- spellstealer : much like a spellthief , it use his mindblade to rob casters from their spell/powers , then use the stolen spells/powers/abilities against them.
2- cancelator: it has the ability to disrupt/dispel/banie the use of magic and psionics in his vinicity.

Then i have no more ideas what would be the 3rd path. it must be a mean to defeat casters by inhibiting their abilities.

i thought about a "counter/redirect" path but i'm so so about this idea.

thanks by advance.

Final Hyena
2016-05-02, 12:39 AM
Signatures are useful.

umbrapolaris
2016-05-02, 01:41 AM
I summarized everything i looking for already; the rest is not important. i can adapt later; it is the idea i need , not rules.

To be simple: if you were an anti-caster, what kind of abilities would you like to use?

You can already deprive them of their spells/powers or dispel them; what other inhibitions may be considered?

Final Hyena
2016-05-02, 02:06 AM
Different games do magic differently. Knowing which game is important to know how to subvert the magic from that game.

nonsi
2016-05-02, 05:18 AM
try spell deflection/redirection/reflection.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-05-02, 06:37 AM
"Cancelator"?

Does it have to be related to the class's core ability? Not all barbarian and fighter paths give abilities that let them hit things harder, not all wizard and sorcerer ones relate to their spells, etc.

Knaight
2016-05-02, 11:10 AM
An absorption path would be fun, where they are still affected by magic, but also powered up by it. They have no (or limited) actual magical defenses, they just have a suite of offensive powers they can't use until you start slinging spells at them, and their defense is based mostly in the threat of the offensive abilities.

tombowings
2016-05-02, 12:03 PM
I like the idea, but one thing you're going to have to worry about it what exactly the class is going to be doing when not fighting magic-slinging foes. What does the class do outside of combat. Maybe the third subclass deals not with fighting mages, but with sniffing them out - like some sort of witchfinder-magic/assassin mashup. Could be fun.

It could have special abilities to detect magic, perhaps gaining additional information not normally provided by the spell, such as the school of magic, etc. It could also have abilities to see through illusions or gain advantage on Wisdom (insight) checks to notice if some NPC is under the influence of an enchantment.

Xuldarinar
2016-05-02, 12:26 PM
How about this;

They alter spells being cast, be it twisting their nature to their own ends rather than canceling or taking them. A fireball spell is being cast, rather than taking the fire ball or making it so there is no ball of fire.. they alter it somehow. Like it travels only 5 feet before detonating, explodes in a burst of cold rather than heat, or is partially composted half of positive energy.

umbrapolaris
2016-05-02, 11:50 PM
Different games do magic differently. Knowing which game is important to know how to subvert the magic from that game.

Overpowered campaigns mostly oriented to combat aka Diablo2 seek & destroy, (roleplaying is limited) using basically vancian magic.

try spell deflection/redirection/reflection.

i thought about it , it is in the list until i find better options

"Cancelator"?

Does it have to be related to the class's core ability? Not all barbarian and fighter paths give abilities that let them hit things harder, not all wizard and sorcerer ones relate to their spells, etc.

no it is a Path (or specialization), core abilities are mostly a mix of stealthy sneak attacking assassin & soulknife; then you plug-in a path on top.

my class system is emulating Diablo or WOW , you have common abilities to the class then the player have to choose a path (which grant additional abilities).

An absorption path would be fun, where they are still affected by magic, but also powered up by it. They have no (or limited) actual magical defenses, they just have a suite of offensive powers they can't use until you start slinging spells at them, and their defense is based mostly in the threat of the offensive abilities.

Absorption was included int he spellstealer path , however powering them wasn't included , something for me to think.

I like the idea, but one thing you're going to have to worry about it what exactly the class is going to be doing when not fighting magic-slinging foes. What does the class do outside of combat.

soulknife/Assassin chassis so can still be useful against melee opponents , outside combat it will mostly spying/scouting.

Maybe the third subclass deals not with fighting mages, but with sniffing them out - like some sort of witchfinder-magic/assassin mashup. Could be fun.
It could have special abilities to detect magic, perhaps gaining additional information not normally provided by the spell, such as the school of magic, etc. It could also have abilities to see through illusions or gain advantage on Wisdom (insight) checks to notice if some NPC is under the influence of an enchantment.

i thought about it also, but i planed to add this to the core abilities , not as a path.

They alter spells being cast, be it twisting their nature to their own ends rather than canceling or taking them. A fireball spell is being cast, rather than taking the fire ball or making it so there is no ball of fire.. they alter it somehow. Like it travels only 5 feet before detonating, explodes in a burst of cold rather than heat, or is partially composted half of positive energy.

nice one, could be combined with deflection/redirection/reflection idea mentioned above.

If i have to resume the class with known characters it would be a kind of mix between a Diablo2 assassin (without traps) and Psylocke (from X-men) dedicated to eliminate magic/psionic users of all kind.

suburban
2016-05-03, 08:34 PM
Your first two paths are 'magic oriented' paths: either using the target's magic against them or canceling it out altogether. What about the third path being a 'combat oriented' one? You could give the player some abilities that would do extra damage or some other effect to spellcasters...

an attack that disrupts concentration so make the target unable to cast spells at all
an attack that imposes a very short term (just a round or three) ability score decrease, to make spells weaker, or perhaps cause the target to 'lose' (just for the duration of the spell) one or more spell slots

umbrapolaris
2016-05-03, 11:29 PM
What about the third path being a 'combat oriented' one? You could give the player some abilities that would do extra damage or some other effect to spellcasters...

an attack that disrupts concentration so make the target unable to cast spells at all
an attack that imposes a very short term (just a round or three) ability score decrease, to make spells weaker, or perhaps cause the target to 'lose' (just for the duration of the spell) one or more spell slots

A combat path was my first thought, but the example you gave was kinda included in the Spellstealer path (he uses his mindblade to weaken casters)

timkiller888
2016-05-04, 12:16 AM
Some kind of spell absorption would be kickass. Like an increase in some kind of power (attack, abilities, ect...) as you're hit with spells. The amount you can absorb and dish out scales the same way caster levels do. Don't know how it'd work mechanically, but fluff-wise it fits.

umbrapolaris
2016-05-04, 11:08 AM
Some kind of spell absorption would be kickass. Like an increase in some kind of power (attack, abilities, ect...) as you're hit with spells. The amount you can absorb and dish out scales the same way caster levels do. Don't know how it'd work mechanically, but fluff-wise it fits.

oh ! just get the picture , like the afro guy in X-Men: Days of Future Past ; he was absorbing energy from his fellow companions and releasing it against the Sentinels.

just flashes in my mind :

Spellstealer Path: use abilities on its mindblade to steal magics/psionics.
Disrupter path : uses abilities to neutralize/bane magics/psionics around him.
Leech path: Uses abilities to absorb and redirect magics/psionics back to his enemies.

That is a badass class !

i think it is done. thanks everybody for your help :smallsmile:

Now have to find a fluffy cocky name for that class... :smallbiggrin: