PDA

View Full Version : Weakest Build

geek_2049
2007-06-24, 07:33 PM
Lots of threads on how to maximize characters, some on which core classes are weakest, but none on what is the weakest build. Why not as an exercise in max-mining? Core and non core, any level up to 20.

For a 10th lvl build core only.

Sorc 3/Pal 1/ Monk 2/ Rg 2/ Wiz 2

BAB:6
Evasion twice, hence a waste.
HP: 4d4+d10+2d6+2d8+4 hp=35.5 hp, Wiz 10=26.5
Smite Evil 1/day
lots of 0 and first level spells.
1d6 Sneak Attack
can flurry at -1/-1 or full attack at 6/1
has various armor proficiencies which cannot be used
Crazy MAD

the positive is it's saves at Fort:6, Ref: 6, and Will: 9

Try and not beat this build, I dare you.

Starsinger
2007-06-24, 07:43 PM
fighter 10 with all feats spent on toughness.

DaMullet
2007-06-24, 07:44 PM
Commoner 10

10d4 hp (avg 25)
bab +5
proficient with one simple weapon
by definition has all stats either 10s or 11s to start, meaning only two stat increases grant total stats at +2, maximum.

Also, no good saves.

There, I beat it.

GoblinJTHM
2007-06-24, 07:45 PM
put the wiz into something else :P

Solo
2007-06-24, 07:45 PM
fighter 10 with all feats spent on toughness.

Samurai 10 with all feats spent on toughness.:smallbiggrin:

Or maybe cleric19/ur priest 1

Damionte
2007-06-24, 07:46 PM
core rules only

Aquillion
2007-06-24, 07:55 PM
This has been covered here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=8570529). To summarize:

So long as you pick up the power psionic overland flight and tweak your character levels a bit, you could seriously play a sandwich.
(Technically, though, it isn't really that weak... I mean, you're still a full manifester, I think. Just a sandwich-shaped one.)

Arbitrarity
2007-06-24, 08:19 PM
Gimpy the kobold.

Venerable Kobold commoner 20:

Str: 1
Dex: 2
Con: 1
Int: 11
Wis: 11
Cha: 16

Preform (rap) 11 ranks, +17.

Flaws: Frail, pathetic (dexterity)

Feats (9): Skill focus preform rap, skill focus craft basketweaving, monkey grip, spell penetration, Greater spell penetration, spell focus (abjuration), spell focus (necromancy), spell focus (enchantment), spell focus (illusion).

Note that spell foci and peneration have no prerequisites.

Wears a mountain plate, a +1 animated towershield, and twfs with longswords, the right one of which is medium sized.

-10 for plate, -9 for shield, -4 for nonproficient, -6 for TWF. As he is unable to stand in armour, is always on the ground, -4 for prone. -4 off hand, -2 on hand (monkey grip). +10 BAB. -5 str mod +1 for size.

His full attack is -29/-34 on hand, 1d8-5, -31 off hand, 1d6-5.

HP is 1 (As 1st HD is to min of 1, others would be, except frail means to minimum of 0).

AC is actually good, 19 vs melee, 27 vs ranged.

Gimpy the kobold is brought to you by 4 point buy (tm).

Actually, how about the old school elven ranger 1, sorceror 1, rogue 1, monk 1, paladin 1, barbarian 3. Unable to gain XP at all.

Wow. Never mind, the OP of the contest wins. Nup-Nup FTW!

Rad
2007-06-25, 09:46 AM
Sorcerer 20 with Cha 8 (no spells at all).
All feats go to metamagic.
All WBL go to bead of karma or other divine-caster-only items.
If allowed (it is not core) get the variant that gives up the familiar for rapid metamagic (which you are not using).
Skill points to craft(woodworking)
No class abilities

I guess somebody made even better than this on a similar thread (got the idea from there) but I'm a bit lazy now

Yechezkiel
2007-06-25, 10:53 AM
Don't forget to Wish (or book) for -5 inherent bonus to your stats.

Maybe throw in some permanent level drains and other negative spells/effects too (hey, half the optimization threads I see include half the character wealth in permanancied spells).

Morty
2007-06-25, 11:53 AM
Well, for 1st level pathetic build, there's Kobold Samurai with feat wasted on Monkey Grip.

Droodle
2007-06-25, 11:55 AM
Soulknife 20.

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 12:16 PM
Half-Orc Wizard 20 with a 1 intelligence, who spent all their feats on metamagic, took the weak willed flaw, and put all 23 of their skill points in Profession (Crazy Old Coot).

Draz74
2007-06-25, 12:25 PM
Soulknife 20.

Let's test this with a PvP duel. You make your Soulknife 20 as bad as you can, and I'll make a Samurai 20 as bad as I can. Then they'll fight one on one. Loser wins. :smallwink:

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 12:38 PM
Let's test this with a PvP duel. You make your Soulknife 20 as bad as you can, and I'll make a Samurai 20 as bad as I can. Then they'll fight one on one. Loser wins. :smallwink:

"I commit suicide." :smallamused:

Douglas
2007-06-25, 12:56 PM
To do such a contest properly, you need to switch character sheets for the combat. You win if you can beat your own pathetic build with your opponent's pathetic build. That way the characters will actually attempt to do something useful despite their horrendously weak designs.

The New Bruceski
2007-06-25, 01:14 PM
Bard who specialized in Perform(Seppuku)?

de-trick
2007-06-25, 01:40 PM
sorcerer half-elf
roll every dice a one for stats so
str 3
Dex 3
con 3
int 3
Wis 3
chr 3

character gets horrific scare -2 from charisma
lost lots of blood from critical -2 con
lost a finger
ray of enfeeblement -2 rolled both 1s
got hit in the head -2 int

str 1
Dex 1
con 1
int 1
Wis 3
chr 1

cubecrazymonkey
2007-06-25, 01:52 PM
Tee hee... Perform (Seppuku). What a fabulous skill.

Karsh
2007-06-25, 02:26 PM
I'll repost my winning entry for the "Lowest possible Attack Bonus" contest several months ago. It's a bit outside of the scope of this challenge, but if the character had several cursed items and insisted on using the tactics described, it could work:

Earth Dwarf Wizard wielding a large nunchaku made out of table legs tied together with rope, throwing them at an opponent 100 feet away while trying to deal nonlethal damage, with a buckler strapped to his arm while also trying to manage a tower shield, wearing Half-Plate with a heavy load while trying to squeeze through a small crack in the wall because he is afraid of a dragon who just scared him, but the crack in the wall has a tanglefoot bag which just burst in it, catching the dwarf and exposing him to a flashstone, dazzling him. Plus, there's some ghouls nearby which sickened him.

Unfortunately, he forgot to take off his half plate last night and slept in it, making him fatigued. He decided to take a bath and was therefore forced to hastily don his armor when they were attacked, making him fatigued and hastily donning his armor (effective DEX 1).

Rather unwise, the foolish wizard accepted several cursed items from a demon, and is now permanently under the effects of Evil Eye, Cruel Disappointment, and Bestow Curse.

The target he's throwing something at is currently in combat with someone else, it's a pseudonatural creature in its Alternate Form, and since he's currently trying to squeeze through this crack on his running warhorse, it won't be easy. Furthermore, he chooses to do this defensively.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the dwarf happens to be a Brawler and quite Shaky, and he recently pissed off a high level Hexblade who cursed him out of spite.

BAB: 0
DEX Mod: -5
Nonproficient: -4
Large weapon: -2
Throwing non-designed weapons: -4
5 range increments: -8
Nonlethal: -4
Buckler: -1
Tower Shield armor check: -10
Tower shield penalty: -2
Half Plate Armor check: -7
Buckler Armor check: -1
Squeezing: -4
Frightened: -2
Entangled: -2
Dazzled: -1
Sickened: -2
Donned Hastily: -1
Bestow Curse: -4
Cruel Disappointment: -4
Shooting into melee: -4
Running mount: -8
Fighting defensively: -4
Brawler: -1
Shaky: -2
Dire Curse: -6
Alternate Form: -1
Evil Eye: -4

AB -98

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 02:30 PM
Taking a 20 on Perform (Seppuku). Always an amusing thought.

Rad
2007-06-25, 03:05 PM
Let's keep this interesting... let's say we HAVE to use a 24 point buy for stats (no terrible past events, permanent curses and the like unless included in the 24 point buy) plus the increments for the levels up to 20.
Keep level 20: let's not start with negative levels (you could do anything otherwise) and no NPC classes (commoner beats everyone)
If anyone wants to run the contest, I'm available :smallsmile:

Assasinater
2007-06-25, 04:40 PM
BAB: 0
DEX Mod: -5
Nonproficient: -4
Large weapon: -2
Throwing non-designed weapons: -4
5 range increments: -8
Nonlethal: -4
Buckler: -1
Tower Shield armor check: -10
Tower shield penalty: -2
Half Plate Armor check: -7
Buckler Armor check: -1
Squeezing: -4
Frightened: -2
Entangled: -2
Dazzled: -1
Sickened: -2
Donned Hastily: -1
Bestow Curse: -4
Cruel Disappointment: -4
Shooting into melee: -4
Running mount: -8
Fighting defensively: -4
Brawler: -1
Shaky: -2
Dire Curse: -6
Alternate Form: -1
Evil Eye: -4

AB -98

But a natural 20 is still a guaranteed hit. How appropriate.

Anyway, it reminds me of a particular scene in that Prachett book (was it "Guards! Guards!"?).

TheOOB
2007-06-25, 05:06 PM
I think it's been preety clearly noted that unless you are purposely going out of your way to make a horrible character, a samurai is the worst character around. A samurai using TWF acually has a fairly decent chance of losing to a equal level warrior using a 2H weapon assuming both are using equally optimized builds...thats pretty sad.

Callix
2007-06-25, 05:37 PM
Elf Wiz20
Stats:
Starting: Str 18
Dex 10
Con 6
Wis 8
Int 8
Cha 15

Final: Str 23
Dex 10
Con 6
Wis 8
Int 8
Cha 15

What the hell can this build do? Nothing.

Draz74
2007-06-25, 06:08 PM

I dunno. He's got a +6 Strength mod, a +10 BAB, and proficiency with the Longsword. He's about as good at melee fighting as a Level 10 Warrior, if the warrior chooses his feats well and the wizard chooses his feats poorly.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-25, 06:16 PM
Elf Wiz20
Stats:
Starting: Str 18
Dex 10
Con 6
Wis 8
Int 8
Cha 15

Final: Str 23
Dex 10
Con 6
Wis 8
Int 8
Cha 15

Move the strength points to Charisma.

Callix
2007-06-25, 06:19 PM
Tippy: Ah, but then he can talk his way out of things. This guy has hopeless initiative, 40hp max, and can only do melee attacks. He'll be cut to shreds. Still, might be an idea...

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-25, 06:22 PM

He gets +10 to the Charisma skills.

Get cursed to lower it to 8.

And have him put 1 skill point in every skill.

geek_2049
2007-06-25, 06:33 PM

And have him put 1 skill point in every skill.

Put all skill points into the cross classed skill swim.

de-trick
2007-06-25, 07:30 PM
half elf sorcerer

start
str 12
dex 11
con 11
wis 16
int 11
chr 9

20th
str 12
dex 11
con 11
wis 21
int 11
chr 9

all skills in preform armpit noises, craft straw hats, and profession cat whisper

brian c
2007-06-25, 08:14 PM
Put all skill points into the cross classed skill swim.

And then wear fullplate and use a tower shield, without the proficiencies?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-06-25, 08:17 PM
Tee hee... Perform (Seppuku). What a fabulous skill.

Perform (Seppuku)... hilarious =_)

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-06-25, 08:54 PM

In no way is the Soulknife as bad as the Samurai. I consider the soulknife to be one of the best classes. So what if you can't overoptimize it to uselessness in more than one situation? So what if it's not a wizard or CoDZilla, or Dru-zilla (hehe BtVS reference :smallsmile:). They work well in a party of others. They are the rogues best friend when it comes to flanking. They can defend the party wizard when e is trappen in melee (yes, it does happen, the immortal and perfect Wizard may get trapped in a sitation where his/her spells do not help). The Soulknife is a skirmisher; they may not be able to stand toe to toe with a huge mature adult red dragon, but honestly who can? d10 hit dice, a good selection of skills, and the fact they are never without a weapon? I see no bad here. Raptor School, Power Attack, Leap Attack are the Soulknife's best friends.

Bonus situational damage? What does a Rogue do? Sneak Attack?
d10 Hit Dice? Fighter has that. Much better than the d4's of the wizard.
You also cannot slight Autohypnosis. Most. Perfect. Skill. EVER.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-25, 11:04 PM
Can't say it's the weakest build, but it's a sign of someone getting lost in an effort to build something "cool" and making a number of concessions to fit it all in:

Gnome bard 4/ranger 4/assassin 3/blackguard 3/mystic theurge 6

Str 13, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 12

One level of theurge goes to increasing his casting abilities as a bard and ranger; the rest increase his assassin/blackguard casting levels.

Feats: Cleave, Combat Casting, Die Hard, Endurance (bonus), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Toughness

Skill Points: Climb 4, Concentration 23, Disguise 4, Handle Animal 8, Hide 20, Intimidate 16, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Knowledge (religion) 6, Move Silently 20, Perform (act) 2, Perform (comedy) 2, Perform (dance) 2, Perform (keyboard) 2, Perform (oratory) 2, Perform (percussion) 2, Perform (sing) 2, Perform (string instruments) 2, Perform (wind instruments) 2, Spellcraft 19

Animal companion: owl

Possessions: greater shadow, greater silent moves, ghost touch full platemail +1, +1 icy burst shocking burst/+1 keen flaming burst gnome hooked hammer (hammer/pick), +1 sling, ring of protection +1

The character attacks with both ends of the weapon each round, relying on his combat style (two-weapon fighting) to carry him through -- even though he can't use it while wearing full plate mail.

At least the character can hide well, though at this level, it might be best if he never came out of hiding.