PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What do you guys think of this Chameleon base class (Homebrew)?

SangoProduction
2016-05-02, 04:40 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?90955-Chameleon-as-a-Base-Class-(PEACH)

OK. I was searching for Chameleon because I was told it could get a feat that can change every day. That's kinda insane. But I could have sworn I saw a base class for Chameleon...not sure where. Certainly wasn't this.

But, this new Chameleon base class looks pretty nice. While strictly less powerful than a full spell caster, it does kind of fit the whole idea of "given 24 hours of preparation (which is a lot in my observation, but whatever), can do whatever they want", well, this kinda fits the bill.

It doesn't seem as though you can refresh your spell casting without first getting a full deal of rest, but the other options don't look strictly bad. In fact, it's better than the martials (excluding ToB and Alternate featured Barbarian) with the non-spell-casting aptitudes...but that's the martials for you.

What is everyone's take on it?

OldTrees1
2016-05-02, 06:53 AM
It is a good class.

My only criticism is that the Combat Focus requires better quality feats for it to be comparable to the other options. Otherwise the 4 feats (1 focus, 5 floating, 10 focus, 13 floating) will not add much combat expertise. Even with better quality feats the Combat Focus by itself will remain weaker than an actual martial class (as it should, being only a Focus).

Falcon X
2016-05-02, 11:51 AM
Lol, when you posted this, I thought you were talking about This Homebrew (https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Chameleon_(3.5e_Class)). I played it once in college when the DM made the mistake of saying we could use any class that we can find not made by ourselves. It was so monstrously OP that I was an invincible shapeshifting kobold god of chaos.

That being said, I like this base class. Looks fun. Though I worry what might happen once it gets optimized and runs through a few prestige classes.

OldTrees1
2016-05-02, 12:02 PM
That being said, I like this base class. Looks fun. Though I worry what might happen once it gets optimized and runs through a few prestige classes.

I can set those fears to rest. This base class sticks very close to an existing prestige class. Despite the prestige class being well known it is only part of 1 degenerative TO combo (bootstrapping spell slot levels via the floating feat).

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-02, 01:03 PM
Were you looking for the Factotum base class? Dungeonscape.

OldTrees1
2016-05-02, 01:20 PM
Were you looking for the Factotum base class? Dungeonscape.

No. The Homebrew is linked in the OP. It is the Chameleon-as-a-base-class by FMArthur.

Factotum is a similar niche but fulfills a different role (just as 1d20 and Take 10 fulfill different roles).

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-02, 03:35 PM
No. The Homebrew is linked in the OP. It is the Chameleon-as-a-base-class by FMArthur

Thank you for trying, but your input is not required.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?90955-Chameleon-as-a-Base-Class-(PEACH)

OK. I was searching for Chameleon because I was told it could get a feat that can change every day. That's kinda insane. But I could have sworn I saw a base class for Chameleon...not sure where. Certainly wasn't this.

SangoProduction
2016-05-03, 01:32 AM
Ah, that's what you're asking. No. It was called Chameleon, or something like that. It had minor shapeshifting like a ...whatever it's called...the PC-playable version of the doppelganger. And took on minor aspects of other classes. Not quite as much as the OP's linked class does, but this Chameleon also had Hide in Plain Sight, which is rather nice.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-03, 11:23 AM
Changeling :).

Fair enough. That does sound interesting!