PDA

View Full Version : Need Necromancy(-like) Prc with domain access

WhiteBread
2016-05-02, 09:00 AM
I looked around but couldn't find anything fitting. I need either a PRC for 3.5 Dread Necromancer which would increase/buff/specialize my undeads and grant me domain access to Deathbound Domain or a Prc that would fit onto a PF Witch and would grant Domain Access( actually i would prefer having the gravewalker prc but i can only find epic feats that would grant domain access otherwise.) Please note i would like to keep my spellcaster progression.
I heard of the planar touchstone feat but the sidequests are rather bad in my next campaign with 6 players. Any other methods of gaining domain access to Deathbound Domain are appreciated too.

OldTrees1
2016-05-02, 10:09 AM
Arcane Disciple feat grants the domain spells

Why do you want the Deathbound domain? It does not increase the amount of undead you can control and it should be rare to find a corpse that has more than twice your caster level in HD.

Side question: Do you have access to Desecrate yet (via an ally or a magic item)? If not then that would buff your undead much more than the Deathbound domain.

Troacctid
2016-05-02, 01:53 PM
Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1geywITbI4M-Up08SGD-rUHlnobR66aIgKqu7mILkmhU) is a list of all spellcasting prestige classes from official 3.5 books and web enhancements.

Jeff the Green
2016-05-02, 02:11 PM
Dread Necromancers are far better off staying in their base class if they're doing minionmancy. Undead Mastery only increases with your class level, not your caster level.

OldTrees1
2016-05-02, 02:42 PM
Dread Necromancers are far better off staying in their base class if they're doing minionmancy. Undead Mastery only increases with your class level, not your caster level.

While it is true that the increase to the Animate Dead pool only increases with your class level, it is merely the Animate Dead pool. A minionmancer Dread Necromancer need not concern themselves with such trifles if they see something they like elsewhere. (+cha HD per class level really is small peanuts to the Dread Necromancer)

Advanced Learning is a much better argument.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-02, 03:12 PM
Advanced Learning is a much better argument.
It is, and personally, I feel that you should use the level eight Advanced Learning to pick up consumptive field, because the caster level boost is just too tasty. After that, you have the key tools for minionmancy. A dread necromancer 8/horned harbinger 2 with Practiced Spellcaster, Corpsecrafter and 22 charisma gets a CL 23 animate dead (10 base + 2 HH + 6 cha + 5 c. field), controlling 10 HD per level, for a total of 230 HD - 15 fire giant skeletons, which have 157.5 hp each, 25 AC, 35 strength, and using 3d6 + 18 greatswords. That's pretty good at level 10 (your minions supposedly form a level 15 encounter, roughly, though hordes don't work well at that point, of course). If you are particularly lucky about finding fire giant skeletons, you can (should!) also use chained command undead to get even bigger armies, but they're less directly controllable.

Incidentally, I'm a fan of the Horned Harbinger. One of its perks is adding your charisma modifier (and HH level) to your caster level for animate dead, and it also grants that spell as SLA (also getting the CL boost), saving you some onyx. Takes a two-level non-casting dip, sadly, but it's pretty nice: apart from the CL/SLA, you get the Death domain, continuous deathwatch, and a 1d6 gore attack from a crown of bones that grows out of your skull (double damage on charge, oh yeah).

atemu1234
2016-05-04, 10:16 AM
It is, and personally, I feel that you should use the level eight Advanced Learning to pick up consumptive field, because the caster level boost is just too tasty. After that, you have the key tools for minionmancy. A dread necromancer 8/horned harbinger 2 with Practiced Spellcaster, Corpsecrafter and 22 charisma gets a CL 23 animate dead (10 base + 2 HH + 6 cha + 5 c. field), controlling 10 HD per level, for a total of 230 HD - 15 fire giant skeletons, which have 157.5 hp each, 25 AC, 35 strength, and using 3d6 + 18 greatswords. That's pretty good at level 10 (your minions supposedly form a level 15 encounter, roughly, though hordes don't work well at that point, of course). If you are particularly lucky about finding fire giant skeletons, you can (should!) also use chained command undead to get even bigger armies, but they're less directly controllable.

Incidentally, I'm a fan of the Horned Harbinger. One of its perks is adding your charisma modifier (and HH level) to your caster level for animate dead, and it also grants that spell as SLA (also getting the CL boost), saving you some onyx. Takes a two-level non-casting dip, sadly, but it's pretty nice: apart from the CL/SLA, you get the Death domain, continuous deathwatch, and a 1d6 gore attack from a crown of bones that grows out of your skull (double damage on charge, oh yeah).

Awesome as that is, I don't really think that you want your spellcaster charging your opponents unless he's hoping to join the ranks of the dead.