PDA

View Full Version : The Critical Miss

Sped55
2005-10-10, 02:47 PM
MODIFIED: Hi everyone! I am going to keep posting&updating my webcomic here until I can find a good website-hoster to host it. Check out the other posts for the comics. For questions&comments&complaints, please PM me. The comic is called
"The Critical Miss"
Our modo is "its what they roll...."

Prince_Azar
2005-10-10, 02:58 PM
The Critical Hit

Sped55
2005-10-10, 03:02 PM
GREAT IDEA! But instead I am going to call it
"the natural one" Becuase they are kind of, always messing up. Like OOTS.
I will have a link to my website up in a few minutes.

Prince_Azar
2005-10-10, 03:07 PM
Sweet deal 8) At least I influenced something

Sped55
2005-10-10, 03:10 PM
Hey, I wouldve never got the name if it werent for you!
Grr!
I HATE freewebs. Anyone know of a good free website hoster besides geocities or freewebs.
Hey, It may take me a while now to put it up, but I found a great site-maker that lets me make a php forum

JeffreyToTheMax
2005-10-10, 04:54 PM
Well, if you ever need help from a crazy writer who doesn't care about getting any credit and has had experience making comic strips, just e-mail me! I also have some web space in an ftp folder (about 500mb), but I don't know how to use it or if it would help.

Sped55
2005-10-10, 05:06 PM
Ok, this looks like it could take a while. So I am going to start posting links to them here
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6003/strip10ep.th.gif (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strip10ep.gif)

(click to enlarge, keep clicking until readable)
I'm going to try to update on the same days as the giant does, if not more often. But I will always have a filler strip with an excuse if there isnt a comic.

WampaX
2005-10-10, 05:25 PM
Voice of the Wampinator: Off to Comics with ye thread about a comic.

sith_243
2005-10-10, 06:25 PM
??? ??? ??? confused with strange lang. ??? ???

i also am kindof good with computer drawering

Sped55
2005-10-10, 06:57 PM
Which part do you find confusing?

Samiam303
2005-10-10, 07:52 PM
Here's a title idea... I like the first suggestion, but how about "The Critical Miss"?

LordMiritar
2005-10-10, 08:22 PM
Yeah, samiam has a point... when I read your title, I thought it was going to be about a druid or something...

Sped55
2005-10-10, 08:24 PM
Yah, I'm changing that now.
Edit: Strip #2!
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1533/strip26cd.th.gif (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strip26cd.gif)

Please, tell me what you think so far!

Kylenpc
2005-10-10, 09:17 PM
I would probally like it if i could understand what it said.

Adghar
2005-10-11, 02:35 AM
o.0 You're one to speak, Banjo-Archer.

Okay yeah, your comic isn't that great. Coupla reasons. No real humor. To be honest, I think good humor is hard to come by in these days. Apparently so is a program better than MS Paint. You took the Giant's style of stick figure, so no points in aesthetic originality. Let's see, your characters haven't undergone any development, unless you can count Complaining Old Man, who isn't an original character anyways.

Midnight Son
2005-10-11, 02:38 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry. *sniff* *wipes eyes*. I couldn't help it BanjoArcher. That was just too funny.

edit: Oh and I can't seem to get the 2nd one to come up.

Sped55
2005-10-11, 06:05 AM
To get them you need to click multiple times. And now I am working on the strip which will introduce all the characters of the party.

Ellisthion
2005-10-11, 10:38 AM
The idea was ok-ish, although kinda nicked from OOTS. The art is aweful. The text is aweful. The execution is poor. Overall score: 3/10.

Not to mention, free image hosting and a forum thread is an ineffecient delivery system. This is a "me too" comic.

Samiam303
2005-10-11, 11:28 AM
Sadly, I have to agree with almost everything that's been said. The humor is mildly amusing, however not very original (and that joke has been fairly overused). The art could use a lot of work, and is clearly an attempt at mimicing OoTS. I would get a better imaging program, and work a little bit on developing your own style. Other than that, I encourage you to keep it up. Hopefully as you produce more comics, they will grow more original.

Sped55
2005-10-11, 02:29 PM
Hopefully as you produce more comics, they will grow more original.

Thats what I hope to happen. I have a couple strips planned with funnier jokes. And I really can't get another kind of program cuase I am not allowed to download stuff off websites I dont know that well (my Dads rule) But this paint program is actually great, I just need more practice. I know right now it really aint that great, but practice makes perfect so i'm gonna keep trying. Trust me, when you meet the other characters, and know the villains plan, you know it will NOT be a rip-off of OOTS. Story and character-wise anyway. All drawings are OOTS style.

Hermes
2005-10-11, 02:30 PM
I have to say that its not something that I would read often, if ever. I certainly wouldn't wait with anticipation like I do for each edition of Oots. Like those before me have said, this one lacks originality.

Keep trying though. Work on finding your own artistic style, don't just use Rich's. And definately find a better program to create your comics with. Good luck in the future. ;)

Dark
2005-10-11, 05:22 PM
Hmm. About artistic style, I'm fond of Paul Graham's opinion on that, which he described in his article Taste for Makers (http://www.paulgraham.com/taste.html):

At an art school where I once studied, the students wanted most of all to develop a personal style. But if you just try to make good things, you'll inevitably do it in a distinctive way, just as each person walks in a distinctive way. Michelangelo was not trying to paint like Michelangelo. He was just trying to paint well; he couldn't help painting like Michelangelo. The only style worth having is the one you can't help.
The whole article is a good read, though it's aimed more at designers than at artists.

Annarrkkii
2005-10-11, 08:12 PM
Sadly, that first part of the joke comes almost word for word from the (most excellent) comic "Goblins: Through Their Eyes", by our own Thunt.

The rest of the joke isn't all that funny, so I am not worried about the fact that you partially ripped it from OotS.