PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Favorite gun themed class and why

ShiningCrusader
2016-05-02, 01:05 PM
looking though my pathfinder books today and got interested in guns after reading about them. i notice that there are many different class archetypes that work with guns and then theres the gunslinger. i was thinking about building one but i can't decide on any though i like the gun tank, Luring cavalier+musketeer and holy gun. i would like to hear what other people's favorite gun theme class is and why and what are there pros and cons of each.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-02, 01:13 PM
I'm partial to the Spellslinger. Maybe it's just the art? But somehow, firing magic from my gun amuses me.

Secret Wizard
2016-05-02, 01:21 PM
I'd consider the Spellscar Drifter to be notably superior to the Luring Cavalier in terms of gunslinging ability.

For Gunslingers, I like the Maverick archetype to have more interesting build options.

Psyren
2016-05-02, 01:54 PM
My personal favorite is Trophy Hunter Ranger. Full BAB, the Ranger list has good firearm spells (e.g. Air Bubble and Reloading Hands), you get Gunslinger deeds (i.e. Lightning Reload at 11) and grit feats, and touch AC out to 2 range increments. It also stacks with another of my favorite ranger archetypes, the Infiltrator.

I also like the Preacher Inquisitor with Blackpowder Inquisition for a nice Van Helsing vibe.

Geddy2112
2016-05-02, 02:07 PM
I like the romanticism of the mysterious stranger, but it is really there for multiclassing from a class that dumps wisdom and uses charisma, like a paladin or a bard. You end up with some pretty bamf outlaw country musicians and Nicholas D. Wolfwood from trigun, and the focused aim deed is good to get charisma damage added to your gun. However, the build lacks quick clear so misfires become a problem. It fixes that at level 5 with ignore misfires a day=charisma mod, but that replaces gun training 1, so you have to stick around till level 9 in gunslinger to get dex to damage.

Speaking of paladins, the worst gun themed class IMO is the holy gun. You lose detect evil for the standard gunsmithing, firearm, and amateur gunslinger. Hope you didn't dump wisdom cause your a MAD class(granted you can dump strength). Your signature deed allows you to get your smite bonus at level 2, but you have to spend it PER SHOT and it only works on evil things, and you won't always know for sure. Oh, its also a standard action so no full round attacks against an evil thing that you should smite the normal way. It adds both charisma and pally level, but you use it per shot(standard action SMH) and you don't get the defensive bonuses smite has. And your class has no way to get dex to damage, and you have to wait till level 11 to get deeds that you give a damn about. Pally/mysterious stranger is so much better, and you can add in a pally archtype of choice instead of this abomination.

My personal favorite is Trophy Hunter Ranger. Full BAB, the Ranger list has good firearm spells (e.g. Air Bubble and Reloading Hands), you get Gunslinger deeds (i.e. Lightning Reload at 11) and grit feats, and touch AC out to 2 range increments. It also stacks with another of my favorite ranger archetypes, the Infiltrator. I totally agree here.

I also like the steel hound investigator as alchemy can provide some nice buffs, and the level 4 steel hound deed that ignores concealment is pretty ace. It is a shame that it requires you to not dump wis, which most investigators do.

Gallowglass
2016-05-02, 02:13 PM
I'd consider the Spellscar Drifter to be notably superior to the Luring Cavalier in terms of gunslinging ability.

For Gunslingers, I like the Maverick archetype to have more interesting build options.

Are spellscar drifter and dune drifter the same? Did it just get renamed and not updated on d20pfsrd?

Psyren
2016-05-02, 02:19 PM
Are spellscar drifter and dune drifter the same? Did it just get renamed and not updated on d20pfsrd?

"Spellscar" is trademarked as it is named after a specific location in Golarion (i.e. a desert in the Mana Wastes between Nex and Geb.) Ergo, the OGL version is "Dune Drifter." d20pfsrd has to use the OGL names stripped of product identity/TM stuff because they're unable to operate with a Pathfinder Community License.

Similarly, they had to rename "Dawnflower Dervish" to "Dervish of Dawn" because "Dawnflower" is a product identity pseudonym for Sarenrae.

Gallowglass
2016-05-02, 02:21 PM
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2014/09/The_More_You_Know/lead_large.png

Thanks Psyren! (Personally would have gone with Skellspar Drifter)

ShiningCrusader
2016-05-02, 04:47 PM

wow...okay i didn't know about those two archetypes. need to look those up.

My personal favorite is Trophy Hunter Ranger. Full BAB, the Ranger list has good firearm spells (e.g. Air Bubble and Reloading Hands), you get Gunslinger deeds (i.e. Lightning Reload at 11) and grit feats, and touch AC out to 2 range increments. It also stacks with another of my favorite ranger archetypes, the Infiltrator.

I also like the Preacher Inquisitor with Blackpowder Inquisition for a nice Van Helsing vibe.

another two gun classes i haven't heard of either...time to do some research :smalltongue:

the thing that bugs me about trophy hunter is that unlike most of the other gun classes that get a gun for free. the trophy hunter doesn't gain one. is it evan possible for a trophy hunter to afford a gun at 2nd lv? or is there some official fix?

Florian
2016-05-03, 01:52 AM
Steel Hound (inquisitor) and Musketeer (Swashbuckler) are my favorite ones, mostly because they also offer something besides shooting people with guns.

Psyren
2016-05-03, 08:36 AM
the thing that bugs me about trophy hunter is that unlike most of the other gun classes that get a gun for free. the trophy hunter doesn't gain one. is it evan possible for a trophy hunter to afford a gun at 2nd lv? or is there some official fix?

Sure it's possible - it's more than half your WBL but that's just a guideline anyway. I agree though, they should get a battered gun for free.

Steel Hound (inquisitor) and Musketeer (Swashbuckler) are my favorite ones, mostly because they also offer something besides shooting people with guns.

Steel Hound is an Investigator archetype actually, not Inquisitor. (IIRC, Inquisitor has no firearm-focused archetypes, just the Blackpowder Inquisiton which can be bolted onto most of them.)

Florian
2016-05-03, 09:52 AM
Good catch on my typo there. Shouldn't trust autocorrect too much ;)

ShiningCrusader
2016-05-03, 06:03 PM
okay so the only books i'm allowed are are core rule book, advance players guide and ultimate combat and magic.
so i'm leaning towards the luring caviler/musketeer combo, seems pretty solid. but those other variants are really neat. though it hurts to lose the mount, but i never really cared for mounted combat.

Anlashok
2016-05-03, 07:07 PM

Drifter is a pretty solid archetype, but not being able to Challenge with your firearm hurts a lot.