PDA

View Full Version : son of Maab ( queen of air and darkness) and Puck

Night Eternal
2016-05-02, 03:17 PM
im thinking of making a character who is the son of Maab ( queen of air and darkness) and Puck ( illusionary magic, trickster type) . The idea is that the character play one to many tricks in the fae court and gets banished to earthen realm and made human. He is stripped of many of his powers and his goal is to get them back.

I cant figure out what kind of race or class to choose from. I know what the character looks like, slim build 6 ft long black hair braided down his back and vibrant green eyes filled with mischief. Any suggestions

For spells I was thinking

darkness
devil sight ( gaining through race or the equivalent spell)
mirror image
blur
disguise self

the idea is a mixture of dark and air magic with the typical trickster fae magic.

For classes I thought about cleric with trickster arch type. and saying that for channeling divinity was actualy him getting in touch with his powers.

I was looking into arcane trickster but haven't gotten far into that yet.

for race was thing air genesia

What would you guys suggest

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 07:48 AM
bump the thread hoping for some ideas lol

Joe the Rat
2016-05-03, 09:45 AM
I'm seeing fey pact warlock. Between invocation and spell options, it's got a lot of what you need. Mask of Many Faces for disguise self, and Misty Visions for illusions - at will. You also have Devil's sight (see in all darkness, magical or otherwise) as an option. Just treat this as more of a natural progression of your highly innate powers rather than gifts from a patron... though that doesn't get you off the hook for the roleplay side. I'm seeing meddling parents all over this one. Pact is pretty open here, depending on how castery or martial you want to be... or pact of the chain to have your own Sprite Majordomo.

Sorcerer - wild magic or favored soul (trickery) would be another angle to explore, or a potential mutliclass option.

I like the Air genasi (good element tie-in, dex is good, levitation!). I'd probably take this one simply because it does emphasize that elemental and otherworldly flavor. Another option which can work for most classes, but is best for Charisma casters is Half-elf. Fey ancestry, you can put those +1s where you need them, and have have solid Charisma for the Deception rolls to go with all of the other fake-out shenanigans. With the SCAG variant, Half-elf (Drow) for Drow magic would get you some thematic tricks, and bring the darkness side more to the surface. So to speak.

Mjolnirbear
2016-05-03, 09:49 AM
Feylock, where your patron is your own bloodline.

Avoid any race other than human. Because when you want a punishing reincarnation, you never choose elf or genasi, you choose human. Or half-elf reskinned to half-fae, to represent the remnants of your fae blood.

Possible dips include storm sorcerer, trickery cleric, illusionist wizard, Arcane trickster.

If I were gonna do it I'd reskin half-elf, choose illusion powers for warlock, urchin background, and multi to storm sorcerer

Connington
2016-05-03, 10:07 AM
Half-Elf, using the SCAG variant that trades out Skill Versatility. That gets you +2 Charisma, +1 to two stats of your choice, advantage on saves vs charming, Darkvision, and the Dancing Lights Cantrip to start with. And then 1/day Faerie Fire and Darknesss at 3rd and 5th level, respectively. Fluff it as a human with feyness "leaking through".

Go Warlock. It's all about sucking up to your parents. Take Mask of Many Faces for Disguise Self at will, and decide if you really want Devil's Sight to see through magical darkness, or a huge bonus to your cantrip damage (Agonizing Blast) or Silent Image at will (Misty Visions). When you pick a boon, consider going for Pact of the Chain and treating your sprite familiar as an old servant from the Faerie Court.

Background would probably be Charlatan.

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 11:24 AM
wow everyone these are some really great ideas thank you . I will look into the half -elf scag.

Socratov
2016-05-03, 02:02 PM
To add my 2cp, let's view the choices, shall we?

First: races. Despite looks, since anything can look like pretty much anything these days you should pick a race that compliments your concept, either by going some version of elf and calling it fey, by reworking half-elves with the SCAG spells switchout or by mirroring tieflings to something more fey aligned (shouldn't be impossible). A funny option is forest gnome (to go more after puck), which grants bonuses to saves against magic and gives minor illusion for free. Also gnomes are often displayed as a race that likes to prank.

Second: class. You want to cast spells. And preferably lots of them, and preferably most of them illusion themed. Now we have up to two choices to make: either intelligence as a main stat (being too clever for your own good, thematically appropriate), or charisma as a main stat (gives the whole magnetic and court vibe). And fi you pick charisma, wether to go sorcerer, bard or warlock.

Wizard: has the illusionist tradition where your illusions get better and better, though it really starts shining at lvl 14 where your illusions actually become real. Very strong, Very cool, and with loads of versatility through your spellbook feature. this has an advantage since you will have the freedom to switch out your spells for other ends if illusions won't do the trick for some reason.

Sorcerer: you get more spells per day then the wizard and you get the awesome feature of metamagic. And boy is that fun. Great options include (but are not limited to) Twinned Spell, Extend Spell, Heightened Spell, Careful Spell (or maybe distant spell to create more safety for yourself). it might not look like it, but sorcerer can make for a great illusionist, if only because of heighten spell to impose disadvantage on enemy saving throws. Also, I'd like to point to a twinned Phantastmal Force. Potentially will make your DM weep.

Bard: Bard is a really fun class, especially if you pick lore bard: you know stuff, can do lots of stuff, get the illusions, and best of all, you can alter reality through your cutting words ability. "A critical hit, you cay? Why, what gave you that idea? [uses cutting words]"

Warlock: Looks like the obvious choice and has great potential. Definitely fun early on. But the warlock will taper off in time and its limited repertoire makes for a lack of versatility. Especially with higher level spells. (And, no, Mystic Arcanum is not enough). That said, it does seem to give whatever you look for in your character yet, in a limited fashion. Plus, depending on your party you won't take as much of your needed short rests to reset your spellslots. On the other hand a short rest oriented party will make the sorcerer look useless and help a warlock shine.

On the use of illusions, a PSA:

Illusions have in DnD both the highest and lowest potential in terms of effects and power. They are limited by only 2 things: your imagination and the DM's willingness to not metagame and cooperate. This is very group dependant, talk to your DM beforehand how much slack he is willing to cut you and how much you will want to stretch the meaning of spells. Also, please for the love of Madb, please talk the spells over with your DM in terms of how they work. This will potentailly help you avoid choices that will make you feel bad m-kay?

As for spells, the only real trap is Blink. Blink is pretty much useless and better options (like mirror image, which is golden)