PDA

View Full Version : The Raistlin Top 50!

Raistlin1040
2007-06-24, 07:50 PM
I've read all the magazines that have the top (Whatever) music songs. And while they're good lists, I can never fully admit they are accurate for me. My friend thought I should make my own, if I don't like it. So here we go: The Raistlin Top 50 Songs!

50. D&D-Scorpiknox
49. Strutter-KISS
48. Machinehead-Bush
47. Jump-Van Halen
46. We Didn't Start the Fire-Billy Joel
45. TNT-AC/DC
44. Youth of the Nation-P.O.D
43. Beat It-Michael Jackson
42. Fly Like an Eagle-Steve Miller Band
41. Piano Man-Billy Joel
40. Just Like You-Three Days Grace
39. Only the Good Die Young-Billy Joel
38. Ace of Spades-Motorhead
37. Dani California-RHCP
36. Stadium Arcadium-RHCP
35. Bark at the Moon-Ozzy Osbourne
34. Ironman-Black Sabbath
33. Drops of Jupiter-Train
32. Clock-Coldplay
31. Smoke on the Water-Deep Purple
30. Layla-Derek and the Dominos
29. Good Riddance-Green Day
28. Message to the Universe-Jimi Hendrix
27. Earth Angel-The Penguins
26. Never Gonna Give You Up-Rick Astley
25. Asterisk-Orange Range
24. Rock N Roll All Night-KISS
23. Take on Me-Aha
22. Speed of Sound-Coldplay
21. Sweet Home Alabama-Lynyrd Skynyrd
20. Highway to Hell-AC/DC
19. Pinball Wizard-The Who
18. Thriller-Michael Jackson
17. The Sun always shines on TV-Aha
16. I want to Break Free-Queen
15. South Saturn Delta-Jimi Hendrix
14. Burnin' for You-Blue Oyster Cult
13. One More Time-Daft Punk
12. November Rain-Guns N Roses
11. Crazy Train-Ozzy Osbourne
10. Mortal Kombat Theme (Please don't shoot)
09. Snow-RHCP
08. War Pigs-Black Sabbath
07. Stairway to Heaven-Led Zeppelin
06. No More Mr Nice Guy-Alice Cooper
05. House of the Rising Sun-The Animals
04. The Trooper-Iron Maiden
03. Eruption-Van Halen
02. Don't Fear (The Reaper)-Blue Oyster Cult
01. (Dramatic Buildup)...FREE BIRD-LYNYRD SKYNYRD!

FdL
2007-06-24, 09:20 PM
01. (Dramatic Buildup)...FREE BIRD-LYNARD SKYNARD!

You know...this may be pronounced 'leh-'nerd skin-'nerd, but it's actually spelled "Lynyrd Skynyrd" ;)

(annnnd thankyouverymuch for a joke opportunity that could well be once in a lifetime :p)

Raistlin1040
2007-06-24, 09:23 PM
Why, so it is. :smallredface:

FdL
2007-06-24, 09:51 PM
Why, so it is. :smallredface:

Awww, that's a cute smiley... Now I feel slightly guilty :p

PS: I've never listened to "Freebird" in my life.

Setra
2007-06-24, 10:27 PM
Awww, that's a cute smiley... Now I feel slightly guilty :p

I've heard Freebird..

But I don't think I've heard any other song on that list.

FdL
2007-06-24, 10:31 PM
I've heard Freebird..

But I don't think I've heard any other song on that list.

Just to be curious, how old are you, Setra? And what about you, Raistlin?

BTW, Rick Astley...I cracked at that one :D Just last night I saw the video in a party. He was so cool at one brief point of the time continuum :p

Setra
2007-06-24, 10:57 PM
Just to be curious, how old are you, Setra? And what about you, Raistlin?

BTW, Rick Astley...I cracked at that one :D Just last night I saw the video in a party. He was so cool at one brief point of the time continuum :p

Also, I've been told I live in a closet, metaphorically speaking.

Edit: On another note, my taste in music is completely different, probably.

zeratul
2007-06-24, 11:00 PM
Allmost all of these are on guitar hero's one or two.

Gaelbert
2007-06-24, 11:04 PM
That list looks similar, if not identical to one I would make. About five of your top ten would be in my top ten. Others? Not so much.

RocketBard
2007-06-25, 01:14 AM
What happened to Kansas?

Nomrom
2007-06-25, 01:19 AM
You appear to have pretty good taste in music. I've heard almost all of these songs. I'm not sure I could make a top 50 list. That would just be too difficult for me. Mine would be pretty different from your's though.

doliemaster
2007-06-25, 07:21 AM
Is it sad that of all the bands I listen to, I only see one's name on that list, and it has only one song on there? I want to get into Blue oyster but have a hard time finding them.

Dispozition
2007-06-25, 08:09 AM
Freebird may be the only song in that list that would make it into my top 50...But that's just me and my crazy tastes in music...

I actually couldn't say I have a favourite song. My mood makes my genre choice to crazy...

Zophiel
2007-06-25, 08:59 AM
All in all a very listenable list, but I must say that I find your lack of Billy Idol disturbing.

doliemaster
2007-06-25, 09:07 AM
I can't believe there isn't any linkin' park and only one queen......a queen that isn't masters of war.

Ranis
2007-06-25, 09:25 AM

Yes, yes you have. Everyone in America has heard that song, or a piece of that song, at some point in their lives.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-06-25, 10:19 AM
No Beatles? Heretic. :smallamused:

Kitya
2007-06-25, 11:09 AM
There's no Jimmy Buffett either, and I know some of his songs are universally known in the US... Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise, for example. *chuckles*

My fave top 50 would be a very odd mix of country, Jimmy Buffett, oldies like "The Streak", and classic Rock. Oh, and some broadway music thrown in too... just for fun. I'm kinda eclectic in my music... unlike Hubby who listens to Country, Jimmy Buffett, Eagles, Beatles, and thats about it... *laffs*

Ooh! thought of another song in my top 50! Arrogant Worm's "Last Saskatchewan Pirate"!!!

Yes I'm weird.

FdL
2007-06-25, 01:36 PM
Yes, yes you have. Everyone in America has heard that song, or a piece of that song, at some point in their lives.

Nope, sorry. I do live in America, in South America more precisely, and never heard it in my entire life. Not that I know, of course, but then again I don't listen passively to music (it amounts to not having done it :p).

I think once I might have heard Built To Spill play a cover of it in a bootleg, that's the closest I've come.

Jibar
2007-06-25, 01:55 PM

Are we talking the same closet or a different closet?
There are only so many metaphorical closets around.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-25, 06:58 PM
Ranis: I'm British, and even I've heard it. Everyone in the WORLD has heard that song.

Vespe: Anything by the Beatles is number 00. Automaticly beats all. Besides, if I'd listed every song I love by the Beatles, it's take up my entire top 50.

FdL: I'm 15.

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-25, 07:03 PM
I had a coworker that was from Georgia (the ex-russian satellite, no the american state), and Free Bird was playing on the radio- the long version. After a while whe asked me if this song was popular in the United States, because she had heard it being played several times in the last ten minutes. At which point I informed her that it was in fact the same song that had been playing for that long. Ah, the memories. . .

FdL
2007-06-25, 08:43 PM
Ranis: I'm British, and even I've heard it. Everyone in the WORLD has heard that song.

I've heard "Sweet Home Alabama" like a million times. Does it count? :p

FdL: I'm 15.

:o Well, I though you were older judging by most names on your list. Goes to show you never can tell.
Don't you listen to newer music? I mean, there's pretty good (non-mainstream crap) music from the 90's onward that I'd assume people in your age listen to...But then again, it seems like I'm so out of synch with this world that as far as I know it could be that everyone who's 15 listens to a lot of classic rock from the 70's and the 80's. :p

Vespe Ratavo
2007-06-25, 09:10 PM
Vespe: Anything by the Beatles is number 00. Automaticly beats all. Besides, if I'd listed every song I love by the Beatles, it's take up my entire top 50.

Then you win at life. Congratulations. Would you like to start a New Game+? You get to start a new life with all your levels and equipment.

Gaelbert
2007-06-25, 09:24 PM
:o Well, I though you were older judging by most names on your list. Goes to show you never can tell.
Don't you listen to newer music? I mean, there's pretty good (non-mainstream crap) music from the 90's onward that I'd assume people in your age listen to...But then again, it seems like I'm so out of synch with this world that as far as I know it could be that everyone who's 15 listens to a lot of classic rock from the 70's and the 80's. :p

I'm 15 as well, and I listen to mainnly classic rock from before my time. I have almost no interest in modern Hip Hop. I do like MC Hammer, though.

FdL
2007-06-25, 09:59 PM
I'm 15 as well, and I listen to mainnly classic rock from before my time. I have almost no interest in modern Hip Hop. I do like MC Hammer, though.

Nono, no hip-hop. I mean real music, with guitars and stuff. You know, people has been making pretty cool things lately with the old guitar rock band concept.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-25, 10:42 PM
New music...Three Days Grace is about the only new music I really listen to a lot. Panic at the disco is ok I suppose, and I like Green Day and the RHCP. But I pretty much grew up on 70-80s music.

edit: I'm also a HUGE fan of Daft Punk. They're fairly new as well. Late 90s-now. Great stuff.

Setra
2007-06-25, 10:49 PM
Are we talking the same closet or a different closet?
There are only so many metaphorical closets around.
Well I've been told I was raised in a closet, in the fact I've never heard of 90% of the people other people talk about.

On another note, some people do say I set off their gaydar, but I like women too much for that to be true.

RocketBard
2007-06-26, 12:24 AM
Then you win at life. Congratulations. Would you like to start a New Game+? You get to start a new life with all your levels and equipment.

Yeah, but think about this, every time you listen to a Beatles' song, Michael Jackson profits from it.

Gaelbert
2007-06-26, 12:45 AM
Nono, no hip-hop. I mean real music, with guitars and stuff. You know, people has been making pretty cool things lately with the old guitar rock band concept.

Are you implying that AC/DC didn't use a guitar? I think something was misinterpreted here.

LCR
2007-06-26, 09:09 AM

Edit: On another note, my taste in music is completely different, probably.

You should leave it then. Come out. Out of the closet.

Also, I quite like your list, but I fail to spot Oasis. Oasis should not be missing, because it makes me terribly sad!

FdL
2007-06-26, 02:06 PM
Are you implying that AC/DC didn't use a guitar? I think something was misinterpreted here.

Nono, the key word was "lately". Contrasting it both to hip hop and classic rock. What I'm aiming at is that there's a lot of good music (thus no hip hop which IMHO contradicts both terms :p) from the late years, that seems to be missing from both her list and the rest of the thread.

Daze
2007-06-26, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but think about this, every time you listen to a Beatles' song, Michael Jackson profits from it.

That used to be true... but he recently sold the rights to pay off his legal bills... some conglomerate I think. Although I had heard Paul McCartney was trying to buy most of it back.

EDIT:
And it's a fine list Raistlin, dont doubt it for a second.

tape_measure
2007-06-26, 04:04 PM
I ahve to applaud some of the list.

Some of it makes my eye twitch slightly, if only for bad memories of the song, and some makes me wonder what the hell you're smokin (and why aren't you sharing :smallbiggrin: )?

The Mortal Kombat theme?

Catchy. Clever...but damn if it doesn't get stuck in my head and haunt me. :smallamused:

Anyhow, the only reason I'm posting is to encourage you to find more songs from these artists. You have some pretty interesting songs from some of them (the Jimmi I like a lot), but you might also try to find covers from other bands. cake does a very interesting version of War Pigs that ain't too shabby iff'n you ask me.:smallcool:

Hephaestus
2007-06-26, 04:12 PM
Nono, the key word was "lately". Contrasting it both to hip hop and classic rock. What I'm aiming at is that there's a lot of good music (thus no hip hop which IMHO contradicts both terms :p) from the late years, that seems to be missing from both her list and the rest of the thread.
Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy (Not so much) The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The Pink Spiders, The Academy Is... If these are the types your talking about, I think the term your looking for is "Alt. Rock" Or as my friends called it, "Fruity music" since mostly girls listen to it.

Your list seems mostly to be Classic Rock, which posses the question, why is there no Coheed & Cambria on there. They're a good band.

Gaelbert
2007-06-26, 05:22 PM
I get most of my music from my dad's massive CD collection, which is basically all classic rock, so its kinda hard for me to get a hold of more recent stuff. If I find anything particularly good, I would get a hold of it, but so far most of my modern stuff is Flogging Molly, Dragonforce, and a few others.

RocketBard
2007-06-26, 08:14 PM
That used to be true... but he recently sold the rights to pay off his legal bills... some conglomerate I think. Although I had heard Paul McCartney was trying to buy most of it back.

Still, every time I hear a Beatles song on the radio I have to change the station because I always see his freaky face.

But, yeah, the list is fairly good.

FdL
2007-06-26, 08:17 PM
Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy (Not so much) The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The Pink Spiders, The Academy Is... If these are the types your talking about, I think the term your looking for is "Alt. Rock" Or as my friends called it, "Fruity music" since mostly girls listen to it.

I'm not talking about those particular bands, she mentioned them and to be honest I consider them to be awful. So, what I'm looking at with that list is basically a lot of classic rock from the 70's (some stuff IS cheesy, let's face it), sprinkled with some more current acts which really don't raise the bar higher. Coldplay's Speed of Sound? RHCP's Dani California?

Of course I respect her tastes, but there's really much better music out there. And it isn't Panic At The Disco.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-26, 08:20 PM
I've read all the magazines that have the top (Whatever) music songs. And while they're good lists, I can never fully admit they are accurate for me. My friend thought I should make my own, if I don't like it. So here we go: The Raistlin Top 50 Songs!

50. D&D-Scorpiknox
49. Strutter-KISS
48. Machinehead-Bush
47. Jump-Van Halen
45. TNT-AC/DC
42. Fly Like an Eagle-Allman Brothers
41. Piano Man-Billy Joel
37. Dani California-RHCP
32. Clock-Coldplay
23. Take on Me-Aha
09. Snow-RHCP
03. Eruption-Van Halen

yes! I like your taste in music, m'man! Ever listen to Rsh (Tom Sawyer, Working Man...)?

Raistlin1040
2007-06-28, 10:37 PM
2 honourable mentions: Oye Como Va by Santana and Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd.

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-28, 10:59 PM
Hmm, I do feel a bit let down by the cliché Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Deep Purple choices. Simply because I feel they all have so much better songs than those mentioned there; The Trooper is the only one I consider kinda classic, and that only in a live context. But even so there's still a dozen-odd Maiden songs that are on an entirely different plane of existence. Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations, Phantom of the Opera, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Purgatory, Where Eagles Dare, Infinite Dreams, Moonchild, Powerslave, Back in the Village, The Edge of Darkness, Ghost of the Navigator, blablabla. Smoke on the Water isn't even near my favorite song from the album in question (Highway Star! Highway Star! Highway Star! Space Truckin! Pictures of Home! Highway Star! Lazy! Highway Star! Oh, and Highway Star), let alone of the band in general (that being Burn with Child in Time and Speed King as distant seconds). And Sabbath - if it has to be Ozzy era, then Symptom of the Universe and Hole in the Sky, with an honorable mention for their self-titled track for capturing the essence of the band so well (preferably a live version with any of the band's good singers rather than Ozzy). Counting all Black Sabbath, then, well, the entire Dio era, minus two or three merely good songs, pretty much instapwns everything anyways.

FdL
2007-06-28, 11:43 PM
If I had to say only one thing about this list...

"Don't Fear The Reaper" is such a great song.

maskimus
2007-06-29, 01:36 PM

50. D&D-Scorpiknox
49. Strutter-KISS
48. Machinehead-Bush
47. Jump-Van Halen
45. TNT-AC/DC
42. Fly Like an Eagle-Allman Brothers
41. Piano Man-Billy Joel
37. Dani California-RHCP
32. Clock-Coldplay
23. Take on Me-Aha
09. Snow-RHCP
03. Eruption-Van Halen

I could be wrong, and since I don't know the entire Allman Bros. Oevre, it could be a different song from the one I'm thinking of, but I believe 'Fly Like An Eagle' is by the Steve Miller Band. That is if it's the song that includes the refrain "Time keeps on slippin'-slippin'-slippin- into the future".:smallwink:

Raistlin1040
2007-07-01, 07:50 PM
*Whacks head* I am sorry. I drew a draft of this up in Word really late at night and posted it the next day. You are correct.

Raistlin1040
2007-07-08, 01:20 PM
Honorable mention: Hangar 18-Megadeth

Arang
2007-07-08, 01:43 PM
I see no Tom Waits.

I trust you will end in a suitably eccentric hell.:smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2007-07-13, 08:09 PM
Probably .

Lord of the Helms
2007-07-13, 10:42 PM