PDA

View Full Version : Is there no Unearthed Arcana for May yet?

Degwerks
2016-05-02, 03:49 PM
Do they still do these articles ?

JumboWheat01
2016-05-02, 04:03 PM
It kinda just hit may. Give the poor guys some time. Mondays are far from the best day for creative thinking, even with dozens of cups of coffee.

Millstone85
2016-05-02, 04:12 PM
We might have to wait until June for a true Unearthed Arcana, because...
Every couple of months as part of Unearthed Arcana, Mike and Chris review the latest material on the Dungeon Masters Guild and choose the best of the best to highlight.They started that in March (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/march-2016-review).

NewDM
2016-05-02, 04:24 PM
We might have to wait until June for a true Unearthed Arcana, because...They started that in March (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/march-2016-review).

They should really do that as part of the article rather than instead of it.

EvanescentHero
2016-05-02, 04:49 PM
It kinda just hit may. Give the poor guys some time. Mondays are far from the best day for creative thinking, even with dozens of cups of coffee.

Typically it's been the first Monday of the month. That's why I've been checking their site today.

Belac93
2016-05-02, 06:27 PM
I remember a few months back they delayed the article till the second Monday. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the first Monday being so close to the first day of the month.

But, I believe they started doing Dm's guild articles every other month instead of UAs. Its stupid, but there it is.

Unless (hopeful thought), they last minute decided to make a UA, and are just trying to write it right now.

EvanescentHero
2016-05-02, 07:16 PM
I remember a few months back they delayed the article till the second Monday. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the first Monday being so close to the first day of the month.

I think I remember that too. But then again, this past November's UA came out November second, so I dunno.

NewDM
2016-05-03, 05:50 PM
Give them some slack, they only have a few full time employees that can actually write the UA article. Just relax and let them do their thing. If you want it faster buy more 5e products.

Belac93
2016-05-03, 06:38 PM
Give them some slack, they only have a few full time employees that can actually write the UA article. Just relax and let them do their thing. If you want it faster buy more 5e products.

I would buy their products if they got any out.

I seriously have everything except Curse of Strahd, and I'll be getting it once I finish playing my campaign in it. I want to buy their stuff, but it almost seems like they don't want the money.

I understand that they need time to balance it, I'm just venting a little and had a bit of a bad day. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

But, I hope they'll get something out instead of just leaving us hanging. I'd even be o.k if there was some news that they weren't making a UA this month. I just am annoyed by the silence.

I want to know what's happening, even if it's nothing.

NewDM
2016-05-03, 06:44 PM
I would buy their products if they got any out.

I seriously have everything except Curse of Strahd, and I'll be getting it once I finish playing my campaign in it. I want to buy their stuff, but it almost seems like they don't want the money.

I understand that they need time to balance it, I'm just venting a little and had a bit of a bad day. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

But, I hope they'll get something out instead of just leaving us hanging. I'd even be o.k if there was some news that they weren't making a UA this month. I just am annoyed by the silence.

I want to know what's happening, even if it's nothing.

I was serious though. If everyone bought the products and gave them to friends and family they could hire more people and you would get more articles and content faster.

Millstone85
2016-05-09, 08:38 AM
No true UA in May.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/may-dungeon-masters-guild-review

Belac93
2016-05-09, 09:17 AM
Well, all this stuff seems fine except the circle of the beast. Its companions are a lot better than the rangers, and you get them a level lower. They have Their hit points + 4x your druid level. But I like everything else, especially the fungus circle.

Temperjoke
2016-05-09, 09:49 AM
In fairness, they did release the Plane Shift: Zendikar at the end of April, so it's not like there's been a total dearth of content.

Anonymouswizard
2016-05-09, 10:01 AM
I was serious though. If everyone bought the products and gave them to friends and family they could hire more people and you would get more articles and content faster.

Eh, it's understandable if they can't release on the first Monday every few months, things happen and occasionally the material just won't be ready.

What's really annoying is their 'DM's Guild' reviews give no actual content, and aren't even a decent review. But I was on DriveThruRPG about ten minutes ago checking I had all the d6 Fantasy stuff available, so let me check out these Druid things (I don't own Curse of Strahd, for various reasons). Circle of the beast is great, nab that Animal Companion for the Beastmaster, including the bonus action order, and chuck out the rest. I can see lots of abuse potential and some poorly written rules, for example the fact that it's unclear if the memorised revivify only works on your AC. It's just the version of Beastmaster people wanted for the ranger. I'm surprised that review didn't mention that it seems to break the subclass power budget. The circle of the Deathbloom is awesome, although possibly a touch abusable, and is just really cool from a world standpoint, I'll be trying to play one of those at some point. The circle of the fountain is an interesting healer druid, and I like their 'make potions of cure wounds' power, but it's nothing major.

Now, the thing that annoys me, is that Unearthed Arcana was supposed to be the replacement for getting sourcebooks every couple of months, allowing us to see playtest and theoretical content. This just seems like a lazy way to throw the work onto other people. Heck, I'm the sort of person who wouldn't mind them going 'hey guys, we don't really have anything this month, please wait for us to type up all the napkin notes first' over these reviews, which aren't really that informative and likely took them about 10 minutes to write.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on the Unearth Arcana that's just 'here's 20 feats to support more character concepts'. As far as I can tell feats are significantly more popular than Ability Score Increases, and it'll be sad if there's not going to be any more to pick from.

Coyote81
2016-05-09, 10:43 AM
Eh, it's understandable if they can't release on the first Monday every few months, things happen and occasionally the material just won't be ready.

What's really annoying is their 'DM's Guild' reviews give no actual content, and aren't even a decent review. But I was on DriveThruRPG about ten minutes ago checking I had all the d6 Fantasy stuff available, so let me check out these Druid things (I don't own Curse of Strahd, for various reasons). Circle of the beast is great, nab that Animal Companion for the Beastmaster, including the bonus action order, and chuck out the rest. I can see lots of abuse potential and some poorly written rules, for example the fact that it's unclear if the memorised revivify only works on your AC. It's just the version of Beastmaster people wanted for the ranger. I'm surprised that review didn't mention that it seems to break the subclass power budget. The circle of the Deathbloom is awesome, although possibly a touch abusable, and is just really cool from a world standpoint, I'll be trying to play one of those at some point. The circle of the fountain is an interesting healer druid, and I like their 'make potions of cure wounds' power, but it's nothing major.

Now, the thing that annoys me, is that Unearthed Arcana was supposed to be the replacement for getting sourcebooks every couple of months, allowing us to see playtest and theoretical content. This just seems like a lazy way to throw the work onto other people. Heck, I'm the sort of person who wouldn't mind them going 'hey guys, we don't really have anything this month, please wait for us to type up all the napkin notes first' over these reviews, which aren't really that informative and likely took them about 10 minutes to write.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on the Unearth Arcana that's just 'here's 20 feats to support more character concepts'. As far as I can tell feats are significantly more popular than Ability Score Increases, and it'll be sad if there's not going to be any more to pick from.

I think the circle of the beast subclass is really close to be right on. Yes the pet can attack using a BA. And yes you can wildshape it (This uses up your concentration though) and eventually you can cast spells and make it attack in one action and use you BA to make it attack again. Remember though that this kind of forces your druid into a blast type type role, since your concentration is used up to get the most out of your companion. The druid spell list lacks the types of spells to make blast a role for the druid. I guess you can resort to casting crowd control spells often, but you also don't get the Land Druid's Natural Recovery to help with spell slot management.

Overall I feel it's rather balanced and that they should do a similar things with the Ranger's companion for the hit dice for healing in between fights as well. Ranger also needs the level 7 ability to say something along the line when you don't take the attack action, you can order the companion to attack/dash/disengage/dodge using a BA. This would let the ranger cast spells and not have it's companion sit there staring at the pretty lights.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-05-09, 10:50 AM
The only thing that really gave me pause was the "print out and tuck into your Players Handbook" line.

...which is a great way to sell more PHB's when everyone who took this bizarre advice breaks their PHB bindings! LMAO

My first PHB broke up on impact with reality; it's now a spiral bound tome used as a table copy at away games.

Its replacement stays on my shelf and only gets taken down for game prep in my sanctum sanctorum.

Regitnui
2016-05-09, 11:14 AM
The only thing that really gave me pause was the "print out and tuck into your Players Handbook" line.

...which is a great way to sell more PHB's when everyone who took this bizarre advice breaks their PHB bindings! LMAO

My first PHB broke up on impact with reality; it's now a spiral bound tome used as a table copy at away games.

Its replacement stays on my shelf and only gets taken down for game prep in my sanctum sanctorum.

I'd recommend scanning it for an electronic copy of the books anyway. It's much easier to search through for specifics.

DanyBallon
2016-05-09, 11:34 AM
I'd recommend getting you scan it so you have an electronic copy of the books anyway. It's much easier to search through for specifics.

Fixed it for you as their ain't any official electronic format for 5e :smallwink:

Regitnui
2016-05-09, 02:29 PM
Fixed it for you as their ain't any official electronic format for 5e :smallwink:

Ah... Someone's got to account then...

In any case, the new druid circles intrigue me.

Anonymouswizard
2016-05-09, 03:35 PM
I think the circle of the beast subclass is really close to be right on. Yes the pet can attack using a BA. And yes you can wildshape it (This uses up your concentration though) and eventually you can cast spells and make it attack in one action and use you BA to make it attack again. Remember though that this kind of forces your druid into a blast type type role, since your concentration is used up to get the most out of your companion. The druid spell list lacks the types of spells to make blast a role for the druid. I guess you can resort to casting crowd control spells often, but you also don't get the Land Druid's Natural Recovery to help with spell slot management.

Overall I feel it's rather balanced and that they should do a similar things with the Ranger's companion for the hit dice for healing in between fights as well. Ranger also needs the level 7 ability to say something along the line when you don't take the attack action, you can order the companion to attack/dash/disengage/dodge using a BA. This would let the ranger cast spells and not have it's companion sit there staring at the pretty lights.

I keep forgetting that concentration is a thing. Probably because the GM I'm going to play with soon likely does as well.

Okay, it's better than I first assumed, and I still think that it's what the Beastmaster Ranger should have been.

2D8HP
2016-05-18, 09:44 AM
*sputter*
Buy? Did you say buy?
What kind of crazy talk is that!?
:smallwink:

I hope while wearing clean white gloves and a faceshield (can't be too careful).
:smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2016-05-18, 09:50 AM
*sputter*
Buy? Did you say buy?
What kind of crazy talk is that!?
:smallwink:

If they were selling quality digital sourcebooks (i.e. searchable, updated with errata, dev notes, sage advice, link to other parts of the book), I'd probably buy them. The worst part is, it probably wouldn't even take all that much work to do. If hundreds of indie developers can do this kind of thing, then WotC doesn't really have an excuse.

At this point I'd pay the same price as a print book, if just to as a sort of dog treat to lure them into the 21st century.

DracoKnight
2016-05-18, 01:16 PM
If they were selling quality digital sourcebooks (i.e. searchable, updated with errata, dev notes, sage advice, link to other parts of the book), I'd probably buy them. The worst part is, it probably wouldn't even take all that much work to do. If hundreds of indie developers can do this kind of thing, then WotC doesn't really have an excuse.

At this point I'd pay the same price as a print book, if just to as a sort of dog treat to lure them into the 21st century.

I'm with you 100%.

SharkForce
2016-05-19, 04:42 PM
I'm with you 100%.

it's pretty depressing when palladium is more caught up with the times than you :P

pwykersotz
2016-05-19, 08:18 PM
I'm with you 100%.

Seconded. I would love to have them all in a robust digital format.

Jakinbandw
2016-05-19, 08:27 PM

Fantasy grounds is pretty official I think. I bought the entire set of source books for my girlfriend on there, and have the Players handbook there just because it is so much faster to browse than the print version.

Three clicks in it and I can find pretty much any spell, weapon, feat or class feature. Then I can copy paste what I need into any other text program at will.

[edit] Most things can be copy pasted, spell effects, feats, and the like, but you can't copy paste the whole book