PDA

View Full Version : Urban Savant Divine spellcaster

Kimerus
2016-05-02, 05:16 PM
Hello all!
I am the DM and one of my player is an Archivist 12. He want to take Urban Savant and asked me to allow that class to advance in divine spellcasting, instead of arcane. What do you think about it? I think the book is clear enough.

Troacctid
2016-05-02, 05:17 PM
The book is quite clear that it is arcane-only, but as the DM, you do have the authority to modify prestige classes at your discretion.

Kimerus
2016-05-02, 05:25 PM
I just don't want to have an overpowered player. I was wondering what more experienced players think about this.

Gildedragon
2016-05-02, 05:34 PM
Honestly if you didn't want overpowered you'd not have allowed full casters :P
But more seriously a lot of the urban savant's abilities are not that dissimilar from the archivist's dark knowledge and favor direct combat.
A couple are social boosts which for an archivist are handy to round out their skillset (archivists are likely low Cha) as a party face.
It isn't bad at all for a city-based priest.

Troacctid
2016-05-02, 06:10 PM
I can't say whether or not the class is overpowered, but I can say that it isn't likely to be any more overpowered on a typical divine caster than it would be on a typical arcane caster.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-02, 06:15 PM
I just don't want to have an overpowered player. I was wondering what more experienced players think about this.

I am not familiar with this class, but what if you told the player of the Archivist "Well, I know you have your heart set on this class. I'll allow you to take it in this case, but I'd like it if you kept your character within the power level of the rest of the party. It's not fun for me to have to balance encounters around power levels that vary too much." So basically, get the player on your side. Constantly policing a player is never fun, and having this understanding means everyone is on the same page. Hopefully, they'll stick to it and try to play in a way that everyone can enjoy.