PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get my start in D&D

Ian17
2016-05-02, 06:11 PM
Hello!
Growing up I always played made up table top roleplaying games with my friends in elementary, but it never went into the levels of D&D and we never knew what that was back then. The main kid that was basically our DM moved away and as the last of us went into high school, different interests took hold and I was left as the last one with an interest in much nerdier and awesomer things. Now I am in 11th grade and I still have held true to the interests of playing table top RPG's, but I sadly have no one to play with. I took to Roll20, but I havent been able to find anyone that has been willing to let me join in D&D 5e and was hoping to find insight on other ways to find people to play over the internet with. I don't have any stores that offer D&D nights as well, believe me I have already tried to look in to it. So thank you and please let me know of anything that may help me finally get to play and learn Dungeons & Dragons!!:smallsmile:

AmayaElls
2016-05-02, 06:38 PM
My experience with Roll20 has been rather good, but it might take a week or two (or sometimes sadly even more time) to find a group for you even with their useful find a group tool. Finding a group (even online) is always going to take time but you will find one eventually, don't give up easily.

Ian17
2016-05-02, 06:44 PM
Okay, thank you very much! Hopefully I can find something eventually. Are there any other ways that you would recommend finding games with?

AmayaElls
2016-05-02, 06:48 PM
Okay, thank you very much! Hopefully I can find something eventually. Are there any other ways that you would recommend finding games with?

Personally I've only just started playing myself and thus have only really had experience with roll20 as a method. Being Australian (And thus on the other side of the world) made it hard to find games good for my time zone but there was enough variety to eventually find one. Their Find a Group tool was a lifesaver for me.

Ruslan
2016-05-02, 06:49 PM
Look for a gaming store in your area, and check their bulletin board (both physical and virtual).
Also try meetup.com

Gizmogidget
2016-05-02, 06:53 PM
Roll20 is a great start, but at these forums we have a play by post section. Personally I have never used it, preferring Roll20. Currently not too active would enjoy having a new group but not many more people in my area interested that are my age. (10th Grade) Please send a private message to me, and I will respond. I'd really like to join, and I have a sibling who is also experienced who I may persuade to join. (7th Grade, but he is relatively cool. I really hope that this works out.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-05-02, 07:07 PM
You might also Google around and see if there are any Adventurer's League games in the area.

Ian17
2016-05-02, 07:15 PM
You might also Google around and see if there are any Adventurer's League games in the area.

I have tried this, but sadly the closest to where I live ( which is still 30 miles away), only offers magic the gathering and not D&D. I feel like using the internet is my only way to find groups at this moment and playing online with them.

mgshamster
2016-05-02, 07:23 PM
You might try penandpapergames.com

That's how I got my group together, and we've been going strong nearly 5 years now.

Boccobsblog
2016-05-02, 10:42 PM
A few thoughts: Go to Wizards.com, they have a store locator, I know you tried stores, but the locator will tell you exactly where the nearest game is, you go try play by post games, try local libraries, go on Facebook and find your areas Adventure League group/page, they posts TONS of local games. Post on your town's Twitter or FB page. There are games out there, make finding a game your personal adventure. And if all else fails, you're really close to college and will have NO trouble finding a game there. For that matter go to your local community college, they are bound to have a gaming group open to the public. I was the faculty advisor at our college and started a group myself. If there isnt a group at your college (which I highly doubt), then post flyers and start one.

You're not alone, the gamers are out there, best of luck.

old school man
2016-05-07, 11:37 AM
I feel your pain, I am out in the sticks around nothing but hicks.:frown::eek::sigh:

John

INDYSTAR188
2016-05-07, 12:12 PM
My old group kinda dissolved when one player decided to take a break and another started participating intermittently. Fortunately two of my cousins were interested in joining and now we have a new group with brand new players (which is fun).

So my advice is to ask folks outside of your immediate school social group. Maybe you can start a club?