PDA

View Full Version : Druid multi class questions

SMac8988
2016-05-02, 06:49 PM
So I was planning a character, and I know it's not the best idea but maybe flavorful and an idea I'm considering.

My idea is possibly a 11 ranger (beast master), 7 rogue (assassin), 2 druid (moon).

My character is a halfling with a pet wolf, and my idea would be to fight at range with a bow/cross bow, and of needed go into wolf form and fight with my pet at my side.

My questions are:
A.) Could a wildshape druid allow for sneak attack?
B.) If hunters mark is cast prior could it be maintained and damage buffed during wildshape?

I had more before starting but my mind has stopped. I'll post more or if them come up in converstion.

rhouck
2016-05-02, 07:09 PM
My questions are:
A.) Could a wildshape druid allow for sneak attack?

Sneak attack requires a finesse weapon. Natural weapons are not finesse weapons. If you wildshaped into an Ape using a rapier, then sure.

B.) If hunters mark is cast prior could it be maintained and damage buffed during wildshape?

It can be maintained during wildshape. And since it buffs weapon attacks, it would affect your wildshape attacks that are listed as weapon attacks.

Keep in mind that you will be limited to CR1 creatures (assuming circle of moon) which will be incredibly weak for a planned 20th level build. Wildshape would be more for fluff than actual combat. Note that you will be unable to turn into creatures with a fly or swim speed too.

SMac8988
2016-05-02, 07:13 PM
My idea would be a wolf or dire wolf, mainly the pack idea with my pet. It was just a random idea. Probably sticking ranger/rogue.

Is there any other way to shift into a wolf in 5e as of now?

JeffreyGator
2016-05-02, 07:23 PM
get bitten by a werewolf - but werewolves are probably the least playable lycanthropes

polymorph works also but you need 7 caster levels for that and then would likely pick something more than a wolf.

If you played the shifter race from Ebberon - you are sort of permanently in half-form.

SMac8988
2016-05-02, 07:45 PM
Ah, none of those will really fit my character design. All good. Felt it could be a cool flavor aspect but not worth the sacrifice for it

mer.c
2016-05-03, 08:59 AM
It should be noted that even Land Druid 2 can give you some great utility through Wild Shape. As noted, you can't fly or swim, and your shapes' combat ability will be lousy. But just being able to turn into a mouse to get into a tiny hole, or a squirrel to perch discreetly on a tree and spy on a group of hostiles is great.

I'm away from book, but I believe you can also change into some speedy critters with Land – or maybe only Moon – Druid 2. That can help out a lot for chases or escapes, especially since you can keep Longstrider up while shifted, and maybe even Bonus Action Dash if your DM lets you Cunning Action in beast shapes.

Sure, these things can be accomplished other ways (nothing a modest-level Wizard couldn't do, for instance), but if you like the flavor, I'd say you'll still get plenty of value from clever applications of Wild Shape for a 2-level dip. It's just a matter of whether you're willing to give up the other goodies you'd get from taking your other classes a little higher.

SMac8988
2016-05-03, 11:22 AM
It should be noted that even Land Druid 2 can give you some great utility through Wild Shape. As noted, you can't fly or swim, and your shapes' combat ability will be lousy. But just being able to turn into a mouse to get into a tiny hole, or a squirrel to perch discreetly on a tree and spy on a group of hostiles is great.

I'm away from book, but I believe you can also change into some speedy critters with Land – or maybe only Moon – Druid 2. That can help out a lot for chases or escapes, especially since you can keep Longstrider up while shifted, and maybe even Bonus Action Dash if your DM lets you Cunning Action in beast shapes.

Sure, these things can be accomplished other ways (nothing a modest-level Wizard couldn't do, for instance), but if you like the flavor, I'd say you'll still get plenty of value from clever applications of Wild Shape for a 2-level dip. It's just a matter of whether you're willing to give up the other goodies you'd get from taking your other classes a little higher.

If I did take the 2 level dip, it would be from rogue levels. I'm away from my books, but I'm not sure what all I lose from 2 levels of rogue to two levels of druid.

I also figured a dire wolf could hit for 2d6+3, I think, +1d6 from hunter mark. Would be nice if natural attacks counted for sneak attack thiugh, sigh

tieren
2016-05-03, 11:26 AM
You can always just summon more wolves to fight with your wolf too, let him be the alpha of the pack you conjured for him.

The wolves will give you the requisite to get sneak attack damage from range (having an ally within 5 feet of target).

SMac8988
2016-05-03, 11:33 AM
You can always just summon more wolves to fight with your wolf too, let him be the alpha of the pack you conjured for him.

The wolves will give you the requisite to get sneak attack damage from range (having an ally within 5 feet of target).

That is true, And could work just as well. I was planning in riding the wolf, as a halfling, but I could always go normal size character and just take mobility, and just run with him.

JeffreyGator
2016-05-03, 12:07 PM
My idea would be a wolf or dire wolf, mainly the pack idea with my pet. It was just a random idea. Probably sticking ranger/rogue.

QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SMac8988;20735046]So I was planning a character, and I know it's not the best idea but maybe flavorful and an idea I'm considering.

My idea is possibly a 11 ranger (beast master), 7 rogue (assassin), 2 druid (moon).

snip

If I did take the 2 level dip, it would be from rogue levels. I'm away from my books, but I'm not sure what all I lose from 2 levels of rogue to two levels of druid.

Never need to be fully AFB 5thsrd (http://5thsrd.org/character/classes/rogue/)

If you went 11 ranger, 5 rogue, 2 monk, 2 druid (horribly crazy MC'ng but it all uses DEX/WIS at least.)
You would accomplish moving faster and possibly be able to get SA on natural attacks
if using DEX to attack counts as finesse
AND if natural attacks count as unarmed attacks

This has probably been answered for AL / RAW but for outside of that I might allow it as I like ninja animals.

http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/5a065db4ef44e7663113b7485e8c5208/http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/MetalGearGirl/NinjaWolf.jpg

Add in mobility and you run with your wolf if you want also, faster if you're a wild elf.

tieren
2016-05-03, 12:48 PM
That is true, And could work just as well. I was planning in riding the wolf, as a halfling, but I could always go normal size character and just take mobility, and just run with him.

I would totally still ride him. When things get hairy you can hop off and provide fire support for him, conjure reinforcements, etc... You can cast longstrider if you want to run with him.

SMac8988
2016-05-03, 05:17 PM
I would totally still ride him. When things get hairy you can hop off and provide fire support for him, conjure reinforcements, etc... You can cast longstrider if you want to run with him.

That is kinda awesome! I actually really like that idea

SMac8988
2016-05-04, 10:27 AM
Also secondary crazy idea. Take tavern brawler and use a dagger in my mouth as a wolf as in improvised weapon, with finese, bam sneak attack! Lol I doubt any DM would approve that though.