PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Swarms

Ruethgar
2016-05-02, 08:29 PM
So for this I'm going to be focusing primarily on Murder of Crows. This post is intended to inspire ideas, not necessarily to seek a certain goal. Please feel free to comment with your swarm manipulation techniques.

Anthropomorphic Murder of Crows- Subtypes are never afforded the luxury of having LA applied to them making an Anthro Murder the same as an Anthro Raven. Of course most DMs would chuckle and probably through Living Spells at you just to play on your weakness for AoE or just slap you with a LA befitting a Swarm. At any rate a writhing mass of birds in the form of a humanoid able to wield weapons(even if he can't use them on normal attacks) seems like it would be pretty awesome.

Were-Murder, now this is nearer RAW playable out of the box, as I recall, you don't actually get the swarm subtype, but you get the look. The heavty 6 ECL is quite the hit, but in this case I would probably allow for either a reduction in the Lycanthrope Template's power or level draining the RHD away for the looks. You are after all going to be quite weak no matter the swarm you choose, and if you want it for flavor, why not, you aren't getting the immunites, auto-hit, flanklessness or damage reduction so why should you be taking such a heavty penalty? One issue that you should address with your DM is the space/reach. It is 10ft/0ft as per the entry, but the amorphous nature is a function of the Swarm subtype. You are still Tiny so you can go through spaces allowed for Tiny as usual so you keep that, but you also still provoke attacks of opportunity unless the DM makes an exception for the [Feline] feat Don't Mind Me in Fabulous Cats(or you find a swarm of cats listed to lycan into).

Dragonblooded, because a massive murder of crows coming to murder you isnt enough. Quick and easy for this would be the half dragon template, fluff those feathers right out and now you have a swarm of dragons. There is also ritual association Dragonblodded and take some feats. But my preference is for Half Dragon(or heavily aesthetically influenced Draconic) with some form of adding fire damage to their attacks, a level of Swordsage for Desert Fire use as an example, though one could also go the route of Human Heritage(you sick bastard), Magical Training, Precocious Apprentice(Furnace Within). Since you'll never use the 2nd level spell anyway, Fiery Burst at 3rd level. Do note that this would probably require an Awakened swarm unless you are the type of DM to fudge the rules a little for NPCs and flavor, in which case I would also remove the Magical Training requirement(and thus the need for Human Heritage) and go with the Redhead feat for Elemalific Searing Produce Flame. It will give it a little damage boost 1/day and still be dangerous against fire resistant PCs.

Animal Friends! Because 3.0 Animal Friendship just wont die. You'll need to drain a few HD, but you'll have to decide if it is worth it getting your very own swarm pet. In a similar vein, Command Animals from the OA Shaman Nature Domain or those two feats updated, Animal Defiance and Animal Control I think? Also, using the logic from Anthro Murders, an Awakened Raven has an ECL of 2 if you wanted to go that route to play them, or have them as followers.

DrMotives
2016-05-02, 11:23 PM
Kaiju swarm. Now there's enough crows to fight Godzilla.

Ruethgar
2016-05-03, 12:42 PM
Dragon #329 pg 98 Swarm Familiars, a terrible option to be sure, what with the lack of healing, but a cool one all the same. This isn't RAW, but modifying the list to add Murder of Crows at 5th caster level wouldn't be too far off, a little less powerful than a Swarm of Bats. Similarly, one could easily replace Rats with Lizards in their creature entry to little effect, except higher speed and a loss of Filth Fever. Why I'm even considering those options is because I just can't get the swarm of dragons idea out of my mind and both can easily slip into that role. Crows, with their flight and connection with dinosaurs, are fairly easy to change to be more draconic while lizards already have a look that needs little fluff, they would need Drakken Familiar and Dragon Wings to really shine.

It should also be noted that Warlocks can get a swarm summoning invocation. There is also the Summon Swarm spell and, as long as I'm listing them, Vampires can summon several beasties as well. Vermin companions can also be Swarms. There is also the Handle Animal skill of course, for rearing swarms of creatures, three at a time.

Segev
2016-05-03, 01:44 PM
Savage Species has that Symbiotic template. Apply your murder as the symbiote. Maybe make a were-raven as your base creature, too, so the base creature turns into a bird as the murder of crows disconnects as their own creature.

The tauric template, from the same book, would be WEIRD with a swarm as one of the creatures...if that's even possible.

Can you polymorph or shapechange into a swarm?

edit to add: Oh, and there's the swarmshifter template for undead, from Libris Mortis (or was it Heroes of Horror?).

2016-05-03, 09:51 PM
Ooh, there's a way to get swarm familiars/companions besides Vermin Lord? Sweet! I'll make sure my next version of Khepri uses those...

Troacctid
2016-05-04, 12:04 AM
It should also be noted that Warlocks can get a swarm summoning invocation.

Heck, they can get six different swarm-related invocations. Four that summon swarms, one that turns the warlock into a swarm, and one that's an epic invocation.