PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Daemontouched (40k Races)

JNAProductions
2016-05-02, 10:03 PM
Ability Score Increase-Any one stat of your choice increases by 1, to represent the varied nature of those touched by Daemons. (Note-this cannot take a stat to +3.)

Age-Daemontouched are effectively immortal. However, given their aberrant nature, they rarely live to see old age.

Alignment-Daemontouched may be of any alignment, but their ancestry draws them towards varying kinds of evil, depending on the god.

Size-While they may come from a variety of sources, all those touched by Daemons grow to at least four feet tall, barring very exceptional circumstances. The upper height ranges from six feet to nearly eight feet, though no matter what, your size is Medium.]

Speed-Your base walking speed is 30'.

Darkvision-Daemon blood flows through your eyes. You may see up to 60' in darkness as if it were dim light.

Daemonic Resilience-Your AC increases by 1, as reality warps and flickers around you to protect yourself.

Languages-You speak both the Common tongue and the tongue of your ancestor-Khornate, Slaaneshi, Tzeentchian, or Nurglese.

Subrace-You have been touched by a Daemon of one of the four gods. Pick which one.

Nurgle-Touched (Plaguebearers)

Ability Score Increase-Your Constitution increases by 2, to represent how tough your fetid flesh is.

Darkvision-Your darkvision is in shades of muted greens and yellows.

Slow and Purposeful-Your base walking speed is only 25'.

Filthy Resilience-You gain resistance to poison damage, advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and are immune to diseases.

Lively-Despite being a rotted, disease-filled carcass of a man/woman, you're surprisingly lively. Gain one extra HP at every level.

Rotting Touch-You know the Acid Splash Cantrip. Constitution is your casting modifier for this ability.

Unkillable Bulk-Your body has been through a lot, and can take even more. Once per long rest, when you would be reduced to zero HP but not die, you may instead choose to be reduced to 1 HP.

Khorne-Touched (Bloodletter)

Ability Score Increase-Your Strength or Dexterity increases by 2, to represent your martial skill.

Darkvision-Your darkvision comes in shades of blood-red.

Training of Khorne-You gain proficiency in all simple and martial weapons.

Blood for the Blood God!-Once per short rest, you may declare a Blood Rage. The Blood Rage lasts a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier. While it is active, you deal additional damage equal to your Strength modifier every time you deal damage.

Skulls for the Skull Throne!-Every time you slay an enemy, if you decapitate them, gain temporary HP equal to your level. This does work post-mortem-for instance, if you kill an enemy, finish off his friend, and then chop their heads off when they're both dead, you still gain temporary HP. Note-this does NOT work if you were not the one to slay them.

Slaanesh-Touched (Daemonettes)

Ability Score Increase-You're an alluring and attractive daemon. Your Charisma increases by 2.

Darkvision-Your darkvision is in vivid pastels.

Fleet of Foot-Your walking speed is 35' instead of 30'.

Seductive-You know the Friends Cantrip. Charisma is your casting ability for this spell.

Acute Senses-You gain proficiency in the Perception and Insight skills.

Tzeentch-Touched (Pink Horrors)

Ability Score Increase-You're a cunning, sly bastard. Increase your Intelligence by 2.

Potent Casting I-If your first level is in a spellcasting class, you may increase your spellcasting stat by 2 instead of Intelligence.

Darkvision-Your darkvision comes in shades of blue and fire. Mostly blue.

Innate Spellcasting-You know the Firebolt Cantrip (though whenever you cast it, it's bright blue). At 3rd level, select any Wizard spell of 1st level. You may cast this once per long rest. At 5th level, select any Wizard spell of 1st or 2nd level. You may now also cast this spell once per long rest. Your spellcasting ability is the same stat that increased by 2. (Usually Intelligence.)

Flames of Tzeentch-You have resistance to fire damage.

Potent Casting II-You increase all spell saving throw DCs by 1.

Frail Form-You gain one less HP per level than normal, as your body is only weakly tied to reality.

Final Hyena
2016-05-03, 04:02 PM
Very powerful, the Plaguebearers in particular is a subtype that could be worthwhile without its base traits which are also pretty good.

JNAProductions
2016-05-03, 04:15 PM
Toned down Nurgle-Touched slightly (nerfed their move speed).

How would you recommend balancing the race as a whole?

Final Hyena
2016-05-03, 06:51 PM
Forgive my previous short answer, given the strength I wasn't sure if the intent was for them to be that powerful and so didn't want to go on a whole balance spree.

Do take any future recommendation with salt as my knowledge of 40K is that "red makes it go faster."

Base;
Stat +1 (any)
Darkvision (1.5 stats)
AC +1 (1.5 stats)
A total of 4 for the base.

Plague;
Stat +2 (con)
Speed -5 (-1 stats as even though a caster/ranged class is viable front line is the focus)
Poison ~ Resistance (DMG & condition) / Disease Immune (1.5 to 2 stats)
HP +1 (1.5 stats)
Cantrip (0.5 stats)
Resilience (2 stats)
A total of 6.5 to 7 for this sub.

Blood
Stat +2 (str or dex)
Weapons (0 to 1 stat)
Str -> damage (0 to 100 stats)
decapitate ~ + level temp hp (0 to ? stat)
A total of 2 to 104 for this sub.

Weapon proficiency discussion
This varies depending on your class a fighter gets nothing, but a life cleric gets +1 damage or even +2 if he went a dex build.

Blood discussion
Anyone can start with +3 str and con meaning +3 damage every hit for 3 rounds (most of an encounter maybe all). The problem with this ability is it scales, very strongly. A level 20 fighter gets +5 damage onto his 4 attacks per round for 5 rounds or 100 damage. I would suggest changing this ability to be a boost to damage for one damage roll which keeps it nice across all melee classes and keeps it from mad scaling.

Skull discussion
This is tricky as it doesn't specify decapitation, when do you kill an enemy via decapitation? Is it when you crit? Also what action is it to decapitate? Is it an action or can it replace one attack? Hard to judge until known.

Daemon
Stat +2 (cha)
Speed +5 (1 stat as a paladin is viable)
Cantrip (0.5 stat)
Skills +2 (2 stat)
A total of 5.5 for this sub.

Pink
Stat +2 (int)
Potent (0 stat) (This does have use for EK or AT, but at level one they're not a spellcasting class)
Spellcasting (+2 stats very nice especially for EK/AT)
Fire ~ Resistance (0.5 to 1 stat)
Potent ~ spell DC +1 (1.5 stat)
HP -1 (-1.5 stat)
A total of 4.5 to 5 stats for this sub.

Overall you can see (if you agree with the values) the subtypes appear to be a focus given how much they get, the problem is they get a lot which when combined with the base is very powerful. You could try getting rid of the baseline stat and AC boost which would make it easier to pack so much punch into the subtype.

JNAProductions
2016-05-03, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure I follow your point values there.

I'd consider decapitation to occur whenever you slay an enemy with a bladed weapon, if you're trying for decapitation, and otherwise it consumes one attack to decapitate a corpse.

Final Hyena
2016-05-03, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure I follow your point values there.
I use a system of translating racial traits into an equivalence of the value of an attribute increase. For instance I value Darkvision to be as good as 1 and a half attribute increases. Races generally get anywhere from 6 to 7.5 stats worth of racial traits which is the desired target for homebrew content to meet.

JNAProductions
2016-05-03, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I don't see Darkvision as being worth +1.5. Likewise, not sure Acid Splash is worth half. (Though that might just me be-I've never seen it used well.)

Final Hyena
2016-05-03, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I don't see Darkvision as being worth +1.5. Likewise, not sure Acid Splash is worth half. (Though that might just me be-I've never seen it used well.)
That was just a general value for cantrips, given that it is specifically acid splash you could value it lower.
Different people value Darkvision differently depending on experience.
Regardless even if you were to lower both of those the races are still strong. The blood for the blood god is especially a concern.

JNAProductions
2016-05-03, 08:10 PM
It's nice, but extra damage isn't the be-all end-all. It's probably most powerful on Fighters, since they get so many attacks, but... Hrm...

I dunno. What would you suggest replacing it with?

Final Hyena
2016-05-03, 08:34 PM
Maybe a bonus equal to your level (or multiplier of your level depending on how good you want it to be) on a single damage roll.

Is the ability based on a certain piece of lore?

JNAProductions
2016-05-03, 09:06 PM
Not particularly. It's just a general Khorne-blood-themed ability.

Final Hyena
2016-05-05, 09:40 AM
Lets examine one of your classes against a similar one.
If we compare Half Orc;

3 stats
darkvision
intimidate
relentless
savage

Vs Plague;

3 stats
darkvision
+1 ac
-5 speed
poison resist dmg/con
disease immune
+1 hp
acid splash
relentless

And take away what they both get to leave Half Orc;

intimidate
savage

Vs Plague;

+1 ac
-5 speed
poison resist dmg/con
disease immune
+1 hp
acid splash

Plague is better, and not just in quantity but quality of traits.

JNAProductions
2016-05-05, 12:00 PM
Hrm... Yeah, that's a good comparison.

I'll say this-for now, I'm not adjusting it, since the only game using it has EVERYONE playing as a Daemontouched, but once that game is over, I'll see about adjusting this to be more balanced.