PDA

View Full Version : Summonable monsters, and their equipment

Yogibear41
2016-05-02, 11:40 PM
Certain monsters are listed as carrying particular magic items or equipment in their descriptions, if said monsters are also on summonable via summon monster, is there a rule for whether or not they show up with said magic items? For example, the various Abishai from FC2, most of them have several potions, or other magic items. Should items come with them when summoned? Should items be usable by the player characters in the case of potions? Would permanent magic items carried by the creatures disappear with them when the summon ended?

Obviously monsters that fight with melee/ranged weapons show up with those, but where do you draw the line on what the monster does or doesn't have?

Bullet06320
2016-05-03, 01:24 AM
I just go by the Monster Manual entry, unless your are summoning a specific individual that has specific gear, such as the celestial eagle that you gated in and gave him magic items

Yogibear41
2016-05-03, 01:27 AM
Thats what I'm talking about, the Entry in whatever monster book, says they Carry particular items, being a potion of cure light wounds, a +1 sword, a scroll of lightning bolt, etc.

Bullet06320
2016-05-03, 01:38 AM
unless the DM says they show up naked, I'm not familiar with any rule that says otherwise tho. falls into the DM call territory, but I just go by the monster entry

Thurbane
2016-05-03, 02:00 AM
I thnk use of any consumables (Potions etc) used by PCs during the Summons duration are fair game.

Any permanent items, along with any parts of the creatures themselves, disappear at the end of the Summons.

Bullet06320
2016-05-03, 02:27 AM
I thnk use of any consumables (Potions etc) used by PCs during the Summons duration are fair game.

Any permanent items, along with any parts of the creatures themselves, disappear at the end of the Summons.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning

a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this.

there is some debate as to summoned creatures that drop items when they leave, if they stay or go too

Yogibear41
2016-05-03, 11:21 AM

This is sort of what I was thinking, but didn't know if there was anything official on the matter.