PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ring of (almost) Anything

Wafan
2016-05-03, 04:23 AM
So I’m creating a ring that I’m putting everything that I don’t have immunity to on, plus some enchants that will help me in general. I cannot add anything epic to it though. Therefore, I already have what is below. I want to know if there is anything else, I can be immune to. Otherwise, you can tell me if there is anything interesting to add to the item or if I cannot do something on it.

Immunity to acid, cold, electricity, disease, poison, sleep affects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, sickened, energy drain, blindness, and dazzle

The ring below is what I have so far.

Darksteel Ring
• +5 All skills (Competence)
• +5 All Saves (Resistance, Deflection, Luck, Sacred, Dodge, Profane)
• 10 Natural Armor (Enhancement)
• Continuous Mystic Shield (Blocks 6th lvl and lower spells)
• Continuous Endure Elements (-50 to 140 degree protection)
• Continuous Greater Vigor (Fast Healing 4)
• Continuous Protection From Evil
• Continuous Protection From Arrows (dr10/magical protection against ranged attacks)
• Continuous Blur (20% miss chance on attacks made against you)
• Continuous Fire Elemental Body (Immunity: Fire, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Stunning, Critical Attacks, Flanking)
• Continuous Freedom of Movement
• Continuous Hide From Dragons

Edit
• Continuous Death Ward
• Continuous Energy Immunity (Sonic, Cold, Electricity, Acid) <--Told was the same as the epic ring of immunity for 240k. Seems silly as the spell is 6th lvl
• Continuous Hide From Undead
• Continuous Hide From Animals
• Continuous Expeditious Retreat (+30ft land speed)
• Continuous Anticipate Teleport
• Continuous Nondetection

Nando
2016-05-03, 04:39 AM
Sonic damage/deafness?

Hide from Animals/Undead?

Protection from [Alignement other than Evil]?

Deflection bonus to AC?

Wafan
2016-05-03, 04:44 AM
Sonic damage/deafness?

Hide from Animals/Undead?

Protection from [Alignement other than Evil]?

Deflection bonus to AC?

Would like sonic damage immunity but I'm not certain how... Edit: I found "Energy Immunity" so that can work

Hiding from animals and undead will now be added (forgot about those)

I'm not worried about alignments other than evil (sorry about that)

I have +10 bonus to ac (deflection, luck, sacred, dodge, shield) from my armor

Nando
2016-05-03, 04:53 AM
Continuous Death Ward could also be usefull...

Also increased movement speed(s).

Wafan
2016-05-03, 04:57 AM
Continuous Death Ward could also be usefull...

Also increased movement speed(s).

Increased movement speeds? Could you elaborate if possible

And I'll add death ward.

Nando
2016-05-03, 05:02 AM
As in continuous Burrow, Air Walk (or something similar), something to grant a swim speed, Expeditious Retreat, Spider Climb...

Also: Anticipate teleport, Avoid Planar Effects, Nondetection,

Darrin
2016-05-03, 05:09 AM
Consider adding:

Continuous finger of death whenever touched by a halfling.
Teleport without error back to you once per year.
Immunity to volcanoes.

Wafan
2016-05-03, 05:13 AM
As in continuous Burrow, Air Walk (or something similar), something to grant a swim speed, Expeditious Retreat, Spider Climb...

Also: Anticipate teleport, Avoid Planar Effects, Nondetection,

I think Expeditious Retreat, Spider Climb, and Anticipate Teleport will be great.

Wafan
2016-05-03, 05:24 AM
Consider adding:

Continuous finger of death whenever touched by a halfling.
Teleport without error back to you once per year.
Immunity to volcanoes.

Why would I want finger of death on a ring? (Just curious)
The teleport is interesting, but once a year may be to long. (Still useful though)
Volcano immunity? How could a volcano hurt me if I'm immune fire?

Darrin
2016-05-03, 05:26 AM
Why would I want finger of death on a ring?

So nasty hobbitses don't steal it. (It was a literary reference.)

Bronk
2016-05-03, 06:05 AM
You might want to dial the energy immunities back... even one immunity on a ring is equivalent to the epic 'ring of energy immunity' and costs 240,000g.

Also, you might want to keep in mind (in case your DM notices, since he's not allowing epic) that the magic price cutoff for epic items is only 200,000g, and your ring's price is already through that roof.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-03, 06:58 AM
I don't know Mystic Shield but surely it prevents the functioning of practically every other continuous spell effect you've put on there?

Also, Protection from Arrows will still discharge and Greater Vigour has a hard cap on its duration.

Bronk
2016-05-03, 07:06 AM
Now that I look at it again, the natural armor and resistance bonuses are also epic, because they're at +10 when the epic cutoff is +5.

Here's the full list of things to avoid (from the SRD). An epic item...

Grants a bonus on attacks or damage greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to armor higher than +5.
Has a special ability with a market price modifier greater than +5.
Grants an armor bonus of greater than +10 (not including magic armor’s enhancement bonus).
Grants a natural armor, deflection, or resistance bonus greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to an ability score greater than +6.
Grants an enhancement bonus on a skill check greater than +30.
Mimics a spell of an effective level higher than 9th.
Has a caster level above 20th.
Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.

An epic magic item that grants a bonus beyond those allowed for normal magic items has a higher market price than indicated by the formulas for non-epic items.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-03, 07:08 AM
Yes, Χ10, isn't it?

Bronk
2016-05-03, 07:24 AM
Yes, Χ10, isn't it?

Yes, that's further down the page, I probably should have included that.

Plus, the regular custom magic item guidelines advise the DM to adjust prices based on what they're worth compared to preexisting items, which can throw off some of the other numbers as well.

Valwyn
2016-05-03, 11:16 AM
Immunity to Disjunction would be nice. Contingency/Craft Contingency could save you some money. There's a weapon enhancement you could use as well for that, but I don't remember what it was right now.

Gildedragon
2016-05-03, 11:38 AM
Immunity to Disjunction would be nice. Contingency/Craft Contingency could save you some money. There's a weapon enhancement you could use as well for that, but I don't remember what it was right now.

Or simply add the spellblade enhancement to the ring (it is a poison ring, right? If not... It IS a poison ring now)

Darrin
2016-05-03, 11:41 AM

Poison ring is a simple weapon according to the Dragon Compendium. You may be thinking of Spellblade from PGtF. For 6000 GP, you can select one targeted spell that you are immune to or can redirect to another target. This usually covers dispel magic/greater dispel magic, but it won't work for disjunction, which is an area effect.

ben-zayb
2016-05-03, 11:54 AM
Well, you could probably add the buff-list of the Twice Betrayer of Shar.