PDA

View Full Version : Grog "Hermit Axe Dancer Wizard"

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 07:45 AM
Grog

Variant Human BearBarbarian 5
Background: Hermit with Outlander skills.

Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid)

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Cha: 11

AC: 14
HP: 50

Cantrips: Frostbite, Mold Earth
1st Level Spell: Thunderwave

Grog is good wizard who has take path of glory of the Axe Dancer. Not like puny sissy elf blade dancer. Axe Dancer shows power and dominate battle with axe magic.

At first Grog knows two small spells and three big spells in spell book. Two small spells show how Grog can mani..manip... Do magic all time. Grog has big spell Rage, Mage Armor, and Big Boom.

Grog spell book is full, special spells need more room!

Spell book got more spell, when use rage grog magic makes grog take less hurting.

Spell book got best true strike, just need axe for spell!

Grog also got spell that makes Grog sense danger. Grog good at finding danger!

Grog got haste now, attack much times with Axe. Much attacks is gooood magic!

Items: Spell book (has crude drawlings in crayon. Some depicts naked stick figure people) and Axe.

Hermit Secret: Grog found a secret but doesn't remember it. Anytime Grog is subjected to a critical hit he will remember the secret briefly but then it will be gone again.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-05-03, 09:24 AM
Taking Magic Initiate seems like cheating, somehow.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 09:50 AM
Taking Magic Initiate seems like cheating, somehow.

Why say mean things to Grod?

Grod had deal with classmates that say mean things, why Grod go on trip across the land to pref..prafect magic. Grod work hard for awesome magic powers!

*Casts Rage*

(Grod spent years in a wizard school... No one really wanted to directly tell him to leave because he had an ax and his parents wanted Grod to be happy... Which they had a lot of axes. Plus Grod was a minor so using magic against him is illegal... So this barbarian who thought he learned magic from his "spellbook" went to school to learn more all while practicing his family fighting style.)

Think Harry Potter if Harry was replaced by Thog from this site's webcomic.

If this was 4e then the Barbarian gets some awesome burst/blast abilities and I wouldn't have needed to pick up Thunderwave via the feat.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-05-03, 10:13 AM
Did... Did you just steal my name?

Anyway, Totem Barbarian gets a lot of pseduo-magical abilities through his subclass alone. I'd rather splash a bit of Battlemaster (or the feat version) if you want more "spells."

Coyote81
2016-05-03, 10:15 AM
It does suck that you can't cast spells while raging, making this combination a little harder to use. I'm doing something similiar with my Barbarian "Shaman"

V-Human: Feat Ritual Master (Find Familiar and Identify)
level 5 Barbarian (This is where I'm currently at)
level 5 Rune Scribe(I recently found an earth rune) (The biggest bonus of this is that almost all of the rune abilities can be used while raging, it's like casting Axe Magic!)
level 6 Divination wizard(This to make me more shamn-like and spells slots for rune scribe, as well as nice out of combat bonuses)
then finish with Barbarian to level 9 (I think this is the right direction to go, although maybe wizard 10 would be better.)

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 10:41 AM
Did... Did you just steal my name?

Anyway, Totem Barbarian gets a lot of pseduo-magical abilities through his subclass alone. I'd rather splash a bit of Battlemaster (or the feat version) if you want more "spells."

Actually the name "Grod the Barbarian (who thinks he isn't a barbarian)" has been a tradition with my friends since 3e.

A friend in the group kept called General Zod by the wrong name and we never corrected him for like a year or so. Good times. Man was his face red haha.

Grod no need more spell, grod has altimate arcane powaaaahhh already.

It does suck that you can't cast spells while raging, making this combination a little harder to use. I'm doing something similiar with my Barbarian "Shaman"

V-Human: Feat Ritual Master (Find Familiar and Identify)
level 5 Barbarian (This is where I'm currently at)
level 5 Rune Scribe(I recently found an earth rune) (The biggest bonus of this is that almost all of the rune abilities can be used while raging, it's like casting Axe Magic!)
level 6 Divination wizard(This to make me more shamn-like and spells slots for rune scribe, as well as nice out of combat bonuses)
then finish with Barbarian to level 9 (I think this is the right direction to go, although maybe wizard 10 would be better.)

I've found that Barbarian is the best martial to mix with a caster for the exact reason that you can't cast and rage.

You get all your martial stuff by level 5 and really you don't need much more than 3 for some cool stuff.

Then you can focus on your spell casting. You don't play your character one way, you play it two different ways.

The best combination I've seen is Barbarian?Knowledge Cleric. Absolutely fantastic. You get to be a smashing 'sploder and have things to help the party or do neat little things.

If you are hit before your turn (which is likely). This will keep your rage going till the next turn :).

Action: Command (Flee)
Bonus Action: Rage
Reaction (when the target flees on their turn, if your DM is cool with this not counting as forced movement) OA (which you can use sentinel to stop their movement which they then need to use Dash due to the wording of Command)

or

Action: Command (Drop which ends their turn)

Next Round: Target has no weapons/items that were in their hands and you are raging... ;)

This one is great for causing a very strong or very dexterous creature who may not be very wise to become disarmed.

or if you haven't been damaged and you want to set something up against the boss

Action: Attack
Bonus Action: Spiritual Weapon

Next Round
Action: Attack

Third Round
Action Attack
Bonus Action: Spiritual Weapon Attack

This one has a bit of set up, however the pay off is awesome. You can't cast or concentrate on spells but Spiritual Weapon needs no concentration and you already cast it.

====

Edit

@ Grod the giant

Your avatar is what one should assume Grod the Wizard looks like though.

Also, I'm really hoping the Penguins make it to the Finals, I moved to Pittsburgh right after the 2009 Finals and left during the 2015 - 2016 season it would really confirm my thought that I'm the ultimate "cooler".

Slipperychicken
2016-05-03, 06:02 PM
I think I'll just drop this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?195049-Help-Me-Be-Annoying-with-a-Barbarian-Wizard). You should find this quite useful, OP.