PDA

View Full Version : how to make a captian america shield.

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 08:01 AM
Basically the title lol. I was thinking about making a Capitan America style player and I was looking a barbarian spirt totem and getting the bear for its resistance to most damage. But I was wondering how to homebrew a shield that works like capts.

So I was thinking 2d6 for damage on hits except when thrown where it would be 1d6. I was thinking about giving it a bounce feature for a bonus attack when thrown.

also any suggestion for race.

Joe the Rat
2016-05-03, 08:10 AM
You want the shield master feat. I'd disallow the bonus action knockdown if it's being used to attack for damage, but the add-to-dex-save and save-for-no-damage really enhance its use.

I'd actually go with d8, versatile (d10) damage so he can one-hand it, or put his whole effort for a little extra damage.

Check the dwarven thrower for returning weapon rules.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 08:14 AM
Basically the title lol. I was thinking about making a Capitan America style player and I was looking a barbarian spirt totem and getting the bear for its resistance to most damage. But I was wondering how to homebrew a shield that works like capts.

So I was thinking 2d6 for damage on hits except when thrown where it would be 1d6. I was thinking about giving it a bounce feature for a bonus attack when thrown.

also any suggestion for race.

I hate to say this but... Play a different game.

D&D doesn't really have the skill system to pull off Captain America unless you have a DM that's super on board with your idea.

As for the weapon, the game doesn't really lend itself to martials doing cool things (like throwing a shield and the shield ricocheting). So the shield would either need to be magical (which is sad that you have to reduce Cap to a magic user) or pick up Tavern Brawler (improvised weapons prof) and beg your DM to allow extra attack to work like ricocheting.

The skill system is still too bare bones for Cap to be in it :(. The mother may I generic system doesn't really fit what Cap can do.

Zman
2016-05-03, 08:27 AM
Heroes Shield

Magical Shield. D6 Bludgeoning Damage. Thrown 30/120. May return to owner on a Bonus action.

That should do it. It isn't light, so it'll be the only weapon used. At most it can make two ranged attacks throw, return, throw. Or you can add an ability allowing it to make multiple attacks, but I don't like that option that much.

Democratus
2016-05-03, 08:36 AM
Heroes Shield

Magical Shield. D6 Bludgeoning Damage. Thrown 30/120. May return to owner on a Bonus action on the same round that it is thrown.

Maybe add this bit so the shield can't be suddenly returned a long time after it was thrown?

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 08:38 AM
Heroes Shield

Magical Shield. D6 Bludgeoning Damage. Thrown 30/120. May return to owner on a Bonus action.

That should do it. It isn't light, so it'll be the only weapon used. At most it can make two ranged attacks throw, return, throw. Or you can add an ability allowing it to make multiple attacks, but I don't like that option that much.

Using this you are essentially playing Thor and not Captain America as Thor is the one with the magic weapon, not Cap :(

Zman
2016-05-03, 08:38 AM
Maybe add this bit so the shield can't be suddenly returned a long time after it was thrown?

Sure, nothing wrong with that.

Thinking out loud, an Eldritch Knight could bond with a shield as an improvised weapon, with a Tavern Brawler they could semi pull off with a normal shield.

Zman
2016-05-03, 08:40 AM
Using this you are essentially playing Thor and not Captain America as Thor is the one with the magic weapon, not Cap :(

You wouldn't count Capt's shield, created by complex technologies, that is nigh indestructible and often defies physics as magical? Given the attempt to fit it to the setting, that's exactly what I'd count it as.

eastmabl
2016-05-03, 08:44 AM
Heroes Shield

I'd put the long range limitation at 60 feet, and only allow the return when the user throws it at short range.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 08:46 AM
You wouldn't count Capt's shield, created by complex technologies, that is nigh indestructible and often defies physics as magical? Given the attempt to fit it to the setting, that's exactly what I'd count it as.

Captain America's shield has never been magical that I'm aware of.

Cap falls under the non-magical "just that damn good" that D&D loathes for whatever reason.

Joe the Rat
2016-05-03, 09:26 AM
Part of the problem is that D&D doesn't have "Technologically advanced" and "Magic" as separate channels of development. Adamantium/Vibranium alloy sounds a lot like "Adamantine," though "unique Mithril-Adamantine alloy" would capture the "all the special metals" idea, and make it a titch lighter for ease of throwing.

Unless you take the magic/technology divide and respin it into arcane/divine, in which case you start looking at Paladins.

Sure, nothing wrong with that.

Thinking out loud, an Eldritch Knight could bond with a shield as an improvised weapon, with a Tavern Brawler they could semi pull off with a normal shield.I like that. You won't be able to do the boomerang trick until 3rd level though.

thepsyker
2016-05-03, 09:55 AM

Cap falls under the non-magical "just that damn good" that D&D loathes for whatever reason.

Cap's shield is made of the fictional material "Vibranium" and is himself a product of Chemical/Genetic engineering, i.e. the Super-Serum he was given. In translating from the Superhero genre into the Fantasy genre I would think those would both be closer to "magic" than "non-magic."

Edit: As an alternative to, or possibly in addition to, a magic shield one could also create/grant a boon that allows one to boomerang a shield. That would make it innate to the character while also being something that takes them explicitly beyond the realm of normal kinda like Cap.

Just from the top of my head I would probably have the boon let the character attack at range with their shield. Then if the first attacks hits they can use another attack to hit a different target within 15' repeat as long as they hit until the character runs out of attacks. The character can use a bonus action to get an additional attack to use for this ability. Normal shields count as improvised weapons, have hand axe range, and don't return, but the characters magic shield has the indestructible quirk, does a d8, has javelin range and returns. Again just off the top of my head, ranges/damage might need a little tweaking.

LordFluffy
2016-05-03, 10:17 AM
Disclaimer: The following needs a lot of work. This was where I started, with Cap as a monk rather than barbarian.

3rd - Enter the Circle
You gain proficiency with shields.You may use shields with your Unarmored Defense and other monk abilities.

You may bash people with your shield; this does 1d6 bludgeoning damage. Your shield is considered a monk weapon.

By expending 1 Ki, you may attack with your shield as a thrown weapon. The range is 30/120. If you attack someone within 30, your shield returns to your hand. You may use this ability only once per round, even if you gain multiple attacks (you may make other attacks normally).

6th - Draw the Circle

When you attack by throwing your shield, you may strike up to three targets, bouncing the shield off of one to hit another. You may hit the same target twice, but not twice in a row. If any of the attacks miss, the shield falls to the ground. If the last target is within 30' of you, the shield returns to your hand.

11th - The Center of the Circle

You are so adept at intercepting attacks, your skills now protect your allies. All allies within 15' of you gain +1AC when you are holding a shield.

You may expend 1 Ki point to cast the spell Compelled Duel.

17th - Expand the Circle

When you Attack with your shield, you may strike up to 5 targets instead of 3. Allies within 15' of you gain +2AC while you are holding a shield.

Zman
2016-05-03, 10:46 AM

And I never said in the Marvel universe it was magical, but given he is super soldier with a shield made out of a special material that he is capable of unreal feats with, that would translate to magic in Dnd, and a simple magic shield solves it and gives it the right feel. You may not like it, but that is what it would require and the closest parallel. In the same vein, Iron Man, made in Dnd, would most suredly be magical as well.

CNagy
2016-05-03, 10:51 AM
Curiously Aerodynamic Shield, +2 AC and can be thrown 20/60 for 1d6 bludgeoning damage.
If you have Martial Weapon or Shield proficiency, you may make melee attacks with the shield dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

Attunement: When attuned to the shield, the user does not require an action to doff or equip the shield. The shield can make multiple attacks when thrown (limited by the user's Extra Attack class feature) and automatically returns to the user at the end of his turn. If the user has no free hands at the end of their turn, the shield falls to the ground upon returning.

No real way to do Captain America's shield without juicing it up with some magic or creating some custom maneuvers through the Battlemaster, that I can see anyway.

Zman
2016-05-03, 10:55 AM
Curiously Aerodynamic Shield, +2 AC and can be thrown 20/60 for 1d6 bludgeoning damage.
If you have Martial Weapon or Shield proficiency, you may make melee attacks with the shield dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

Attunement: When attuned to the shield, the user does not require an action to doff or equip the shield. The shield can make multiple attacks when thrown (limited by the user's Extra Attack class feature) and automatically returns to the user at the end of his turn. If the user has no free hands at the end of their turn, the shield falls to the ground upon returning.

No real way to do Captain America's shield without juicing it up with some magic or creating some custom maneuvers through the Battlemaster, that I can see anyway.

Could be done as a feat. Shields deal d6 bludgeoning and can be thrown and returned to the thrower. Also can be donned as a bonus action instead of an action. No magic required, the shield becomes a melee weapon and acts like a boomerang.

eastmabl
2016-05-03, 11:08 AM
Vibranium could be a magic item the same way that adamantine or mithril are technically magic items in 5e.

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 11:09 AM
I hate to say this but... Play a different game.

D&D doesn't really have the skill system to pull off Captain America unless you have a DM that's super on board with your idea.

As for the weapon, the game doesn't really lend itself to martials doing cool things (like throwing a shield and the shield ricocheting). So the shield would either need to be magical (which is sad that you have to reduce Cap to a magic user) or pick up Tavern Brawler (improvised weapons prof) and beg your DM to allow extra attack to work like ricocheting.

The skill system is still too bare bones for Cap to be in it :(. The mother may I generic system doesn't really fit what Cap can do.

Lol the idea is to make a character similar not to make captain America. There is no such thing as uber science in dnd so it would have to magic. A magic shield wouldn't make the character a magic user. Thats one of the reason I was thinking the barbarian class.

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 11:10 AM

it was imbue with magic after it was broken and the asgardens fixed it for him

kaoskonfety
2016-05-03, 11:12 AM
And I never said in the Marvel universe it was magical, but given he is super soldier with a shield made out of a special material that he is capable of unreal feats with, that would translate to magic in Dnd, and a simple magic shield solves it and gives it the right feel. You may not like it, but that is what it would require and the closest parallel. In the same vein, Iron Man, made in Dnd, would most suredly be magical as well.

And if we REALLY want to underline it, the line "this item continues to function in an anti-magic field" to make it literally "not magic" in the strictest sense.

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 11:15 AM
Disclaimer: The following needs a lot of work. This was where I started, with Cap as a monk rather than barbarian.

3rd - Enter the Circle
You gain proficiency with shields.You may use shields with your Unarmored Defense and other monk abilities.

You may bash people with your shield; this does 1d6 bludgeoning damage. Your shield is considered a monk weapon.

By expending 1 Ki, you may attack with your shield as a thrown weapon. The range is 30/120. If you attack someone within 30, your shield returns to your hand. You may use this ability only once per round, even if you gain multiple attacks (you may make other attacks normally).

6th - Draw the Circle

When you attack by throwing your shield, you may strike up to three targets, bouncing the shield off of one to hit another. You may hit the same target twice, but not twice in a row. If any of the attacks miss, the shield falls to the ground. If the last target is within 30' of you, the shield returns to your hand.

You are so adept at intercepting attacks, your skills now protect your allies. All allies within 15' of you gain +1AC when you are holding a shield.

17th - Expand the Circle

When you Attack with your shield, you may strike up to 5 targets instead of 3. Allies within 15' of you gain +2AC while you are holding a shield.

that an interesting thought I going to have to look up monk thank for the thoughts

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 11:17 AM

love the attunement idea very well written :)

R.Shackleford
2016-05-03, 11:33 AM
Lol the idea is to make a character similar not to make captain America. There is no such thing as uber science in dnd so it would have to magic. A magic shield wouldn't make the character a magic user. Thats one of the reason I was thinking the barbarian class.

Have you never played anything outside of the Forgotten Realms? There are pleeeeenty of uber science in D&D.

But it doesn't need to be science.

Just being "that damn good" is what captain america is all about. He isn't magical, he is the peak human condition. Science got him to that place, but it isn't sustaining him. He is just the best of the best.

But my main gripe is actually the skill system in 5e.. Very very very bland for what captain america does. You won't be able to get captain america any more than you can get spider-man because the skill (and combat system) is glossed over to the extreme.

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 12:39 PM
Have you never played anything outside of the Forgotten Realms? There are pleeeeenty of uber science in D&D.

But it doesn't need to be science.

Just being "that damn good" is what captain america is all about. He isn't magical, he is the peak human condition. Science got him to that place, but it isn't sustaining him. He is just the best of the best.

But my main gripe is actually the skill system in 5e.. Very very very bland for what captain america does. You won't be able to get captain america any more than you can get spider-man because the skill (and combat system) is glossed over to the extreme.

i get what you mean by that coming from a playing background in diceless rpg combat is dull in diceless but it requires a lot more strategy and tatics. I just want to figure out a way to add in shield attack affects. The multiple target is tricky as is the return. Attacking and throwing are pretty standard to figure out.

oh and yes never played outside forgotten realms

Night Eternal
2016-05-03, 12:52 PM

3rd - Enter the Circle

6th - Draw the Circle

17th - Expand the Circle

I love this idea if you expand on this please let me know. I checked monk with out this circle not as much fun lol for the capt idea.