PDA

View Full Version : Spell suggestion. 3.5.

Metahuman1
2016-05-03, 09:58 AM
My party just hit 13th level, I've got a Sorcerer 5 and Mage of the Arcane Order who's hitting level 8.

Need recommendations for 5th and 6th level spells. Thanks!

Âmesang
2016-05-03, 12:22 PM
What spells do you have already? These are culled from my own 16th-level sorceress/archmage:

5TH-LEVEL:
fabricate — Not wholly necessary; taken due to said character being full-trained in Craft (alchemy) and using the Book of Vile Darkness rule for alternative poisoncrafting (–4 penalty on alchemy craft check).
Keraptis' flamecone — Fiery version of cone of cold. Honestly taken to make use of the archmage's mastery of elements; in such a case cone of cold is perfectly viable, but Keraptis' flamecone is a somewhat fancy sounding, WORLD OF GREYHAWK®-specific version pulled from 2nd Edition. :smalltongue:
Quintessa's dweomer drain — Character's personal spell; see signature.
telekinesis — Useful in combat for no-save combat maneuvers (such as pinning down opposing spellcasters), and useful outside of combat for moving heavy things around and manipulating things from a distance.

6TH-LEVEL:
disintegrate — Like telekinesis it's useful in combat (high un-typed damage) and outside (removing obstacles from your path). Especially good for getting rid of walls of forces/forcecages.
greater dispel magic — Best defense is a good offense? Or is that the other way 'round? Either way good method for debuffing magic-using foes.
Rary's interplanar telepathic bond — As the normal telepathic bond, except this one does allow for communication across planes. Handy in case your or an ally gets banished or otherwise shunted to some other reality and needs help getting back home.

Sword-Geass
2016-05-03, 01:48 PM
Greater arcane staff for 6th is a good one. Lets you charge a quarterstaff with unused spells, up to CL+cast stat mod spell levels. Nice for downtime.

Arcane fusión for 5th is a must as a sorcerer. No questions allowed.

Those are some which I remember right now. Later when I get to my books I'll add some more.

atemu1234
2016-05-03, 10:18 PM
Greater arcane staff for 6th is a good one. Lets you charge a quarterstaff with unused spells, up to CL+cast stat mod spell levels. Nice for downtime.

Arcane fusión for 5th is a must as a sorcerer. No questions allowed.

Those are some which I remember right now. Later when I get to my books I'll add some more.

For the questioning, Fusion is important mostly due to metamagic.

Metahuman1
2016-05-04, 04:38 AM
We have all the none setting specific books, and setting specific material can be used on a case by case basis.

That said, I have.

6th: Greater Dispel Magic

5th: Telekinesis, Wall of Force.

4th: Evards Black Tenticals, Dimension Door, Clarity, Solid Fog. I have one final slot that I forgot to mention just opened here, and I'm considering Sensory Deprivation. I also have an Item of Polymorph to help with the fact that we have been dealing with an enemy faction that keeps throwing spell immune golems at us like there candy. Though the Dm has said due to in game developments, after the next session or two finished the immediately ongoing leg of the story line, we should be seeing less and less of them, and less and less of them having the means to do that even out of the times we do see them.

So while spells that can beat constructs are Nice, not necessarily essential.

3rd: Shivering Touch, Unluck, Dispel Magic, Major Image, and I have an Item that can cast Explosive Runes for me.

2nd: Dimension Leap, Mirror's image, Wings of cover, Glitter Dust, Web.

1st: Grease, Benign Transposition, Tensure's Disk, Nybor's Gentle Reminder, Know Protections.

0lvl: Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Dancing Lights, Ghost sound, Detect Poison, Read Magic, Stick, Repair Minor Damage, Caltrops.

I also have an Ancestral Relic Rune Staff that I've been putting the odd utility spell in like Rope Trick, Teleport and Alarm.

So, yeah, right now, more focused on combat application. Save or Suck/Loose/Die spells, really amazing buffs, that sort of thing.

Also, we have a larger then average party, so I'm trying to avoid summoning as awesome as it is, cause I don't want to bog combat down any further.