PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pricing new weapon abilities

Valwyn
2016-05-03, 11:53 AM
So I was wondering, how would you guys price a weapon with constant Cursed Blade on it? It's 4th level for Assassins and Hexblades, lasts 1 min/CL, no save, no SR, and any damage dealt by the weapon (not including flaming and the like) can't be healed until the victim gets Remove Curse cast on them. I guess I could just use a wand chamber or spellstoring weapon, but that's not as fun. (I'm thinking +2? Maybe +3?)

Also, how would you price a weapon that ignores magic on contact? As in, it would treat magic items as mundane (+5 armor is just armor) and spells as if they weren't there (the bonus from Luminous Armor wouldn't work but the penalty on attack rolls would). Now that I type this I realize this would probably be broken as hell, but still sounds fun. :smallbiggrin:

(I may or may not be building something inspired by Lancer from Fate/Zero (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ulUcW6xcR0) (stop the video at 9:45 to avoid spoilers))

Gildedragon
2016-05-03, 12:09 PM
By srd guidelines it is +112,000gp
At that cost the item is halfway to epic

The other one is essentially the Brilliant Energy enhancement but backwards.
Or price it as a continuous antimagic effect... And then double it (at least) as it doesn't suppress your weapon's effect

Valwyn
2016-05-03, 12:17 PM
Wow. That's... more expensive than I thought. Could you share the math on that, please?

Yeah, I see why you would say that. Still, it's not quite the right fit because brightenergy would also go through regular armor.

Gildedragon
2016-05-03, 12:36 PM
4th Level Spell: x4
Min caster level 7th: x7
Continuous item: x2000
Duration is minutes/level: x2

4x4000x7=112000

An artificer could bring the cost down by 8000gp (drop the CL to 5)

The ignore magic bonuses would be a... Hmmm antimagic field is 5th level (for runescarred berserker) +1 for selective spell... which makes it 6th, which is beyond the berserker's power... So we gotta use the wizard version 6th +1... With a min caster lever (artificering it) of 11...
x2000 for use activated... No time modifier
154000 for it to work on every hit
92000 for 3/day

I know. It is terribly expensive; but anime types tend to be... Well more closely modeled by epic characters, especially characters that are Legendary types, as in the fate series(es?)

Valwyn
2016-05-03, 01:14 PM
Thanks. I think I might need to stick to a wand chamber. Or some sort of gish with Assassin/Hexblade casting. Ranger into Assassin should work (+6 skill points and good Int should be fun).

Hmm. I guess an epic Runescarred Berserker with Improved Capacity could do it (or maybe a metamagic rod) but that's not likely to fly with most DMs. I guess there's no cheap reliable way of doing it, then. I mean, I guess we could just handwave it and say it's a +3/+4 improved version of Dispelling from the MIC, but that's no fun.

Gildedragon
2016-05-03, 01:29 PM
Thanks. I think I might need to stick to a wand chamber. Or some sort of gish with Assassin/Hexblade casting. Ranger into Assassin should work (+6 skill points and good Int should be fun).

Hmm. I guess an epic Runescarred Berserker with Improved Capacity could do it (or maybe a metamagic rod) but that's not likely to fly with most DMs. I guess there's no cheap reliable way of doing it, then. I mean, I guess we could just handwave it and say it's a +3/+4 improved version of Dispelling from the MIC, but that's no fun.

I'd put the magic-bypass ability cost at a +5
The ability is solidly halfway to epic, maybe make it a 5/day ability and split the difference between the 3/day 90k and always on 150 (as one makes faaaaaaaar more than 5 attacks a day)
Ignoring all spell, spell like, and supernatural sources of armor is... Well very very good

For the cursed blade ability: you can tweak the price down by financing stuff (like requirements for the weapon to work) but if it is always on that's the barebones pprice you're getting.
Edit: actually I could see dropping the price by 20% because for PCs the ability isn't that strong as it is for NPCs
Most foes will only be met that one time, thus the curse effects are less long lasting... Price as a +4 for PCs but have it cost as a +5 for NPCs gear allocation