PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Class 5e Homebrew

Shrimpboy107
2016-05-03, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

As the surveys have shown, the general populace is not happy with the Artificer Wizard tradition introduced in Unearthed Arcana. It just doesn't feel like the Artificers of old, and because of this, me and another veteran DnD player have been working on creating a class that has the same feel as the 3.5 Artificer and remains balanced and unique.

Here is the link to our personal take on the Artificer class for DnD Fifth Edition: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zArJTM03ITfKAQDEszZJ-kz2vdu0wR6u4MmABrPtQRM/edit?usp=sharing

Note: After much grief, I did remove thieves' tools for fear of being OP with starting proficiencies. An Artificer's main job is magic item creation, trap tampering should be provided by a rogue. And to be perfectly honest, it's not that hard to get access to them anyway via custom backgrounds, downtime activities, and the Skilled feat.

Note 2: I know it starts off really strong for the first two levels (especially with a starting Int of 20), but on paper it seems to even out after that and I'm not entirely sure how else to balance those two levels without complicating everything.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the build. I would love any feedback, especially if anyone gets a chance to playtest the class.

EDIT: You can now support this homebrew on dmsguild here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/185997/Artificer-Class-for-5e?src=newest_community&filters=0_0_45426_0_0_0_0

Lonesomechunk44
2016-05-31, 02:42 PM
Interesting idea for the Artificer class, obviously its a little imbalanced, but many homebrews are. Nonetheless, I will take a closer look at this later. I just skimmed it and I liked what I saw

Shrimpboy107
2016-05-31, 05:39 PM
Awesome! I'm excited to here back from you.

Joxeta
2016-05-31, 05:55 PM
Will try to give this a bit more of an in-depth read-through later.
Reminds me A LOT of the one that I wrote.
Great minds, I say :smallbiggrin:

Once I have a better idea, I will weigh in a little more thoroughly.
For now, it seems pretty solid.