View Full Version : PF Build help: Archaeologist-Archer: Warpriest? Monk? Other?

graeylin
2016-05-03, 03:47 PM
I am just toying with a build in my head, so I don't have any hard/fast rules/stats to conform to. I just built a Half-or warpriest for a quickie game, and the class intrigued me.

So now, I am wondering about using the chasis and abusing the Luck bonuses of Fate's Favored, Sacred Tattoo, Divine Favor, and Archaelogist's luck somehow, into a decent ranged build. I am not concerned about getting the biggest/fastest/most damage each round PC, and it's likely this PC will start about 6th level, and maybe, maybe make it to 10th... so things beyond 10th or 12th level are pretty useless to me. I am more interested in making a good/upper middle of the road damage dealer, with some utility to help the team. We have front line fighters, and I am fine with letting them get in and wallop a couple hundred points of damage in combat. I'd be fine with hitting the BBEG, and doing more than nuisance damage. I'd like the BBEG to at least notice that I am attacking, but I don't have to lay them out in two rounds. Also, when the situation doesn't need archery, I'd like to have something to add to the party.

The party already has a rogue, a couple good melee, and some arcanists. We are actually a bit weak on Divine magic, which is one reason warpriest seems okay. I'll pick up some self buffs, and can heal if needed, or buff/help others when not in combat myself.

With a level in Archaeologist, I get the Luck bonus to almost every roll. Which, I double to +2 with the trait. Is that worth the dip, for +2 to most every roll? It seems that warpriest is a decent enough archer chasis, with divine favor and all. I know my Arch Luck is a swift action, as is divine favor, I thought I might do lingering performance to get it to last a couple more rounds, while I stacked Divine on it.

I could also toss extra bardic performance feat in there for six more uses per day, which would allow me to not buff Charisma all that much, and stay with a tiny bit less MAD PC. And, I can use Finding Haleen trait to bump up my HP, so I can lower con a wee bit as well, and compensate that way. So, I'm down to Str/Dex/Wisdom, and again, being upper middle of the road on hitting/damage output is fine with me, so I might even not worry so much about the Str/Dex on hits/damage, because of the luck bonii.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Missing something obvious (I just skimmed/glanced at the packages, between work projects).

Gildedragon
2016-05-03, 04:02 PM
Int focused Archaeogist with Monk (master of many styles and sohei) has nice synergy especially if you are allowed to forward port knowledge devotion.
Maybe ask about porting luck feats and fortune's friend

Arutema
2016-05-03, 04:31 PM
Remember, divine favor is a luck bonus, sacred tattoo is a luck bonus, archaeologist's luck is a luck bonus. Sure, that means fate's favored can boost them all, but it also means there's no point in having more then one active at a time, as bonuses of the same type do not stack.

With the party weak on divine casting, I'd advise warpriest. Bard can heal HP damage, but is weak on condition removals like restoration.

Also, keep in mind Finding Haleen is a campaign trait, it may not be allowed in your particular campaign, so check with the GM.

graeylin
2016-05-03, 06:15 PM
So, the archaeologist dip just gives me another pool to draw from... and eats up a stat, and more feats if I want to have a bigger pool.

I guess it doesn't make much sense to combine it/dip it in this situation.