PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Luring Caviler+Musketeer feats?

ShiningCrusader
2016-05-03, 06:27 PM
Hello Everyone!
so i'm working on a Luring Caviler/Musketeer build for my brother's upcoming campaign. now i know it probably a bad idea to give up my mount abilities, but i like the gun fluff much better then having a horse (even if it means less damage overall) now want feats do i take? i guess i should take point blank shot and precise shot, but after that want do i take?

note: i know i didn't mention it above, but what race would be better for this build, leaning towards human or gnome :smallbiggrin: but i'm up for suggestions.

edit: the books were using are core book, advance players guide, ultimate combat and magic. DM is somewhat new to pathfinder so thats why we only have a few books.

Geddy2112
2016-05-04, 12:03 AM
It is not really fair to compare a luring caviler musketeer to a normal caviler, as it is closer to a sniper gunslinger at this point. There is a problem with giving up your speed as a mounted combatant and far challenge, as enemies will have an easier time getting to you. If you can solve that, you are golden. Careful aim targeting touch at 2 ranged increments really helps there. Are you using a pistol or musket? If you use a pistol and alchemical cartridges you can reload as a free action. With a musket you can get it down to a move. The latter has range, the former speed. You get more damage out of the pistol and if you are aiming for touch you can be a decent distance. The cool thing is that you can wear heavy armor if you wanted, although I don't think you will want to as dex is a key stat.

For feats, you need point blank shot, precise shot, and deadly aim. If you have the ability to shoot as a free, then rapid shot becomes key. You might want amateur gunslinger for grit and a deed(maybe quick clear). Rapid reload is usually needed except you get it as a bonus. You might want far shot because you could be frequently be shooting into your second range interval.

For races, guns are best when you have a prehensile tail, in the case of a tiefling or a vanara. Human is never a bad choice for any class with bonus feats and skills. Gnomes don't offer much to your build, except maybe eternal hope which allows you to re roll a single natural 1 a day, a very good racial feature. Ratfolk are probably the best small race gun users, followed by grippli and then halflings.

Psyren
2016-05-04, 01:44 AM
A ranged weapon style might be a good idea. Empty Quiver Style is a fun one that lets you melee with your gun without taking any penalties; you can mix smashing them with the rifle butt and firing it in the same full-attack routine. You can even threaten AoOs around you while holding your gun, or bash a melee attacker in the face before continuing to shoot at a distant target without provoking from the guy you whacked, all in the same round.

Alternatively, you can try the less flashy Overwatch Style, which just lets you ready multiple ranged attacks instead of one.

You can also go for one or more Ranged Weapon Mastery feats. For example, Ace Trip lets you shoot fliers out of the sky, Burrowing Shot lets you debuff enemies with no saving throw, Finesse Shot lets you shoot traps to activate them, and Liberating Shot allows you to shoot allies free from grapples.

Finally, a good choice if they're allowed are Called Shots. You have to target regular AC rather than touch AC to use these, but being a full-BAB class that's focused on firearms, this shouldn't be overly difficult for you.

ShiningCrusader
2016-05-04, 07:02 AM
A ranged weapon style might be a good idea. Empty Quiver Style is a fun one that lets you melee with your gun without taking any penalties; you can mix smashing them with the rifle butt and firing it in the same full-attack routine. You can even threaten AoOs around you while holding your gun, or bash a melee attacker in the face before continuing to shoot at a distant target without provoking from the guy you whacked, all in the same round.

problem Is we don't have access to the book that has that. but on another look at my books, I noticed the catch off guard feat. If I did the math right It would do the same d10 damage of a Greatclub (which In turns counts as a melee weapon for the challenge) though I'll keep another weapon just In case.

Gallowglass
2016-05-04, 08:10 AM
Although you would hate to lose the full BAB, a dip into travel domain cleric (or other class with a domain. Is there a way to take a druid level and get a cleric domain?) would be fruitful. For that BAB you would get:

+10 base speed
ability to ignore difficult terrain several times a day
access to spells including longstrider for another +10 movement.

travel domain inquisitor would get you the same, but also access to expedition retreat (instead of longstrider) and longshot as spells. What a shame that there are no battlefield control spells in the 1st level cleric/oracle or inquisitor lists. *sigh*

As your role is going to be "I'm not retreating, I'm repositioning!" getting yourself to 50-80 move means you can almost always move and attack in a turn while keeping the opponent from being able to move up to melee you (sans charge - terrain is the key to preventing charge, that's why ability to ignore it is useful).

The great thing about luring with a gun is that you can challenge someone from afar, then drop prone to fire. Then your bonus to AC for being prone negates the -4 AC you get for far challenging the foe. Just make sure there is enough between you and him to keep him from getting to you before you can stand up and retreat tactically reposition,

Psyren
2016-05-04, 08:22 AM
problem Is we don't have access to the book that has that. but on another look at my books, I noticed the catch off guard feat. If I did the math right It would do the same d10 damage of a Greatclub (which In turns counts as a melee weapon for the challenge) though I'll keep another weapon just In case.

Ah. Well, you still have Called Shots as those are in Ultimate Combat, so I would build around that. You can use them to impose some useful debuffs on your enemies so that you have more interesting choices than "I fire" and "I reload."

ShiningCrusader
2016-05-04, 09:27 AM
The great thing about luring with a gun is that you can challenge someone from afar, then drop prone to fire. Then your bonus to AC for being prone negates the -4 AC you get for far challenging the foe. Just make sure there is enough between you and him to keep him from getting to you before you can stand up and retreat tactically reposition,

never thought of that tactic before, great idea!

Ah. Well, you still have Called Shots as those are in Ultimate Combat, so I would build around that. You can use them to impose some useful debuffs on your enemies so that you have more interesting choices than "I fire" and "I reload."

yeah we have call shots, i plan on using that quite a bit unless the touch AC attack would be better.