PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Point me to a high dpt class/built..

Kerilstrasz
2016-05-03, 11:38 PM
Hello playgrounders..
it has been long since i was here last time..

so..
what i need from you..

I want a class or built that it's main (if not only) purpose is to deal as much damage as possible each round..
i want to see many dice, large numbers.. you know what i mean..

in my 5e career, i've played party face, arcane casters that specialize on everything else than damage, many attacks builds with maneuvers to control the field,
supports & healers.. even a decent attempt of a tank..

now i want to turn the tables..

I'm looking for a class/built , that will play in melee , will attack with weapons, not spells, although some spells are always good..
I wan't something that i will play from lvl1.. not more than 2 multiclass..
Ideally, it will start shine at about 4-6 lvl, and keep a nice progression through higher lvls..

Not barbarian plz!!!
only PhB & "official" supplements..

Thnx in advance :D

Saggo
2016-05-03, 11:53 PM
So I'll just bring up one of the obvious: Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master Battlemaster. You can see how it stacks up here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-9xDdath8kX_v7Rpts9JFIJwIG3X0-dDUtfax14NT0).

Primarily use Trip Attack to get advantage for GWM, and use Precision Attack on things you can't trip. You'll have a few more maneuvers that'll break up the monotony and add more defense.

The next one I'd look at is Polearm Master Order of Vengeance Paladin.

Corran
2016-05-04, 12:06 AM
Well, the obvious answer is the GWM feat. So since barbarian is out, any str-based fighter or paladin would do the trick. Perhaps you should also invest in PM, at least in the case of a paladin it makes a lot of sense. Alternatively, you could play a bladelock, with the starting level being a fighter, for con save prof, heavy armor and a few extra hp, using darkness + devil's sight for advantage to offset that -5 penalty and have the augmented miss chance of the enemies (due to darkness) deal with survivability. And going up until at least level 3 for the battlemaster maneuvres (riposte and precise seem to be mandatory). Though I think a fighter or paly would be more straightforward and more suited to what you are asking for.

As far as spells are concerned, haste seems like the logical go-to, so EK and vengeance paly seem to be what you ask for, not that the battlemaster and other paladin oaths (thinking of devotion) dont have things to offer that might compensate.

For damaging reactions, you could even aim for sth like a variant human EK, with GWM, PM, warcaster, spell sniper (and perhaps mobile), and pray for gaunlets of ogre power! :p

Personally, I really enjoy an oathbreaker without GWM, and just PM and sentinel, as it combines very good damage with exceptional battlefield control, though this is clearly not what you asked for, still, felt like mentioning it.

AmbientRaven
2016-05-04, 12:10 AM
Two Options

If unearthed Arcana is allowed

6 Vengeance Paladin // 14 Favoured Soul (War)

This truly shines around 8th-10th level (depending on when you pick GWM vs STR ASI).
You can dump all of your spell slots into smites. Presuming a Polearm and GWF feat ONE attack looks something like
1D10+Str+10+XD8 (X=Spell slot used + 1). You can do this twice per turn then have the option to attack with a pole haft for 1d4+str+10+XD8 OR cast booming blade using the quicken spell meta-magic.

War favoured soul is optimal as it will give spirit guardians, who will add more damage and control.
Some builds will edge this at DPM, especially at higher levels (GWF Champion) but you are a solid rock as well as DPM beast. Sorcerer allows you to sacrifice spell slots to put back into others (sacrifice a 6th slot to give you 6 level 1 slots allowing for 12D8 more damage). You have +Cha to all saves, you have plate armour. you can quicken heal yourself as a BA if needed.
This build needs polemaster+GWF with ASI's in strength to excel.

This is my favourite build in the game. It can do EVERYTHING. Heal, huge DPM, control (quicken hold person ect.), good tankability, area denial. I love it.

Vengeance Paladin will give you auto advantage on a target 1/day as well as hunters mark (more damage)
Ancients Paladin you take to 7th level. It nets you DR/Magic which can be huge as well.

If favoured soul is not allowed you can take any flavour of sorcerer (A friend played this build with storm sorcerer, attacking with booming blade and quickening chromatic orbs to get the 10ft move from storm sorc as a disengage. SO every turn they have to chase them (triggering booming) AND walk into polearm triggering AoO's. It was great to watch). Using another flavour isn't as optimal though as Favored Soul.

Human Painstick Paladin
1: Paladin; Polemaster
2: Paladin
3: Paladin
4: Paladin (ASI: Str)
5: Paladin
6: Paladin
7: Sorc
8: Sorc (You have 2 attacks per turn + BA from polearm. +Cha to saves, can dump spell slots to make others)
9: Sorc
10: Sorc (ASI: GWF)
11: Sorc
12: Sorc
13: Sorc
14: Sorc (ASI: Str)
15: Sorc
16: Sorc
17: Sorc
18: Sorc (ASI: Cha, Con, Lucky or Resilience: Pick)
19: Sorc
20: Sorc

Rough guide as I only have a few mins before a lecture. Depending what level you start at you can change build around a bit though

Drackolus
2016-05-04, 12:30 AM
Don't forget about oathbreaker, with polearm+gwm of course. But then, once you get +cha +1d8 to damage, -5/+10 becomes far less useful. After 11, multiclass becomes attractive. Sorc can give you haste and quickened cantrips. Reckless attack does become very nice, but you already said no barb.

djreynolds
2016-05-04, 02:05 AM
I've been toying with a short sword/rapier and shield wielding rogue/paladin. With standard array, con will take a hit and you have to have a 13 minimum in str and dex. But smiting and sneak attack in the same round with hunter's mark could put out some good damage. You could go twin short sword, but I just like the shield and short sword combo.

Gtdead
2016-05-04, 05:59 AM
The most self-reliant martial class in the game is Paladin.

He is notoriously good at lvl 6, continues scaling past lvl 11.
He can get through most of the day using minimal resources (bless).
He can nova like a mad dog (especially vengeance, vow of enmity+bless/ew+gwm)
He is fairly good outside of combat with his high charisma

And the best part is that he can seemlessly multiclass into bard/sorcerer/warlock.
You can multiclass at lvl 2, 3, 6, 7, 11, depending on your oath and your playstyle.

Going 11 as any oath gives the highest average dpr
Going 7 with Ancients -> Wild magic sorcerer is one of the best tanking builds in the game
Going 6-> mc into caster makes concentration spells extremely potent in melee.
And last 2 -> Sorcerer creates a melee sorcerer, which is a surprisingly potent build, with scag cantrips, quickens, access to smite, easy AoO generation with quickened commands.

Biggstick
2016-05-04, 12:53 PM
Hello playgrounders..

so..
what i need from you..

I want a class or built that it's main (if not only) purpose is to deal as much damage as possible each round..

in my 5e career, i've played party face, arcane casters that specialize on everything else than damage, many attacks builds with maneuvers to control the field,

I'm looking for a class/built , that will play in melee , will attack with weapons, not spells, although some spells are always good..
Ideally, it will start shine at about 4-6 lvl, and keep a nice progression through higher lvls..

Not barbarian plz!!!

Paladin is a solid class, and for a primary damage focused Paladin, Vengeance is a great fit. Go Human variant, put your +1's into STR and CHA, take PM and GWM at levels 1 and 4, then +2 STR at level 8 and 12. Once you've gotten 12 levels of Vengeance Paladin and have maxed STR, you have some choices available. You can go any of the CHA based caster classes to pick up some more spell slots for smites or you can continue down the Paladin path.

Personally I think continuing down the Paladin route will work out better as level 13 grants you access to level 4 spells (Death Ward is a great spell to be picking up), level 15 grants you access to reaction attacks on your Vow of Enmity targets, and you have a pretty solid capstone. You'll also have the option of maxing out your charisma or picking up a couple more feats (Sentinel and Resilient Con come to mind).

Foxhound438
2016-05-04, 01:42 PM
Vuman paladin with polearm master. Don't bother with great weapon master unless you go oath of devotion. Probably the best pure damage option here is to go oathbreaker, 3 attacks totaling 2d10+1d4+3d8+15+15 is pretty good, and bless helps greatly in making sure all that connects. Your average would be about 57 damage on all hits, and your hit chance would be much greater than that of GWM builds. Blow slots on tougher enemies to get that extra top end in hard fights.

Biggstick
2016-05-04, 03:02 PM
Vuman paladin with polearm master. Don't bother with great weapon master unless you go oath of devotion. Probably the best pure damage option here is to go oathbreaker, 3 attacks totaling 2d10+1d4+3d8+15+15 is pretty good, and bless helps greatly in making sure all that connects. Your average would be about 57 damage on all hits, and your hit chance would be much greater than that of GWM builds. Blow slots on tougher enemies to get that extra top end in hard fights.

Both Devotion and Oathbreaker provide great damage but I think you're discounting Vengeance's usefulness in offsetting the GWM. Both Oathbreaker and Devotion would have to spend a turn either putting up Bless or Sacred Weapon where as Vengeance gives up a single bonus action. Vengeance also makes it so that you (at level 15) can reaction attack an opponent when they make an attack (as long as they're under your Vow of Enmity).

While I agree with Oathbreaker being more consistent damage, Vengeance is more suited to go nova without a huge buff round needed (only a bonus action that refreshes on short rest). Vengeance is also extremely well suited to offset the GWM penalty.

Specter
2016-05-04, 03:35 PM
If you prefer to attack from range, Ranger (Hunter) 5/Rogue (Assassin) 15 can give you what you need. At level 10 (5 in each), you could be dropping 1d8+1d8(colossus slayer)+1d6(hunter's mark)+3d6(sneak attack)+DEX in a given attack, with two chances to hit. If it's a surprise attack, double all those dice (something like 4d8+8d6+4, for an average of 50 damage). Plus, you'll have the best Stealth in the game.

Misterwhisper
2016-05-04, 06:19 PM
Hello playgrounders..

so..
what i need from you..

Not barbarian plz!!!

I will point you in the very easy right direction.

Do these 4 things.

1. Find some way to attack with your bonus action. (Crossbow master, Polearm Master, ect)
2. Take either Great Weapon Master if melee, or Sharpshooter if ranged.
3. Find some way to make 3+ attacks. (Fighter 11+, Ranger with Swift Quiver, Lore Bard with Swift Quiver even sooner)
4. Find some way to attack with advantage. (Maneuver from Battlemaster after a trip, Barbarian reckless attack, spells ect.)

P.S. taking 3 level of Barbarian is amazing for any melee to get reckless attack and bear totem

Ex.

Variant Human Fighter 20: Melee Battlemaster

Str: 16
Dex: 12 + whatever you can spare for Int, Wis, Cha
Con: 14
Int: who care it does almost nothing in 5e.
Wis: Enough not to have decent perception
Cha: Medium if you care about social, tanked if you dont.

Get a Glaive and some Adamantine Fullplate of whatever + you can. Adamantine ignores critical hits which is nice for something so cheap.

Level 1: Feat Pole Arm Master: Bonus attack, and reaction attack.
Level 4: Great Weapon Master: Different way to maybe get other attack and the broken as hell -5/+10
Level 6 and 8: Max out strength.
Other fear are whatever flavor you want.
(Heavy armor master, lucky, Mage slayer, or just more con)

djreynolds
2016-05-05, 05:11 AM
I like melee rogues, they can be effective and can add up damage quick. Especially the swashbuckler who isn't relying on party members all the time for advantage to sneak attack with. 11th level you have 6d6 every turn and can disengage.

My only complaint is you have to dip something to snag a style or to grab a shield, but fighter and ranger is an easy dip for that. And things like martial adept for precision is expensive.

Paladin/rogue is a combo I'm looking into building

Rhaegar14
2016-05-05, 05:57 AM
I'll throw out another recommendation for Paladin, though less on a mathematical dpr note and more on a feeling note. You want to throw a lot of dice? Just wait until your first natural 20. You spike very, very hard on crits.

Socratov
2016-05-06, 11:01 AM
While above are excellent suggestions I would like to give some nova options. While they can't do it sustained, it's certainly an option if you want to, from time to time and please excuse my french, F&%$ that guy/gal/thingie, F&%$ his/her/its friends around them and F&%$ the ground s/h/it is standing on.

One option is to go War cleric (also, convince a buddy to go valor bard, you will love the additional damage), or a draconic sorcerer (coupled with elemental affinity makes for a great Chandra Nalaar, maybe even better then the MTG versions). Funny spells, funny metamagic, funny crispy remains and ashes. Feel like a great comedian yet? Also, take a look at Inflict Wounds. I guarantee you are going to love it.

dev6500
2016-05-06, 01:20 PM
Don't go high dpr the traditional way ;p . You should go with the druid spike growth dragger THE CHEESE GRATER!!! Treat your enemies like they should be treated... treat them like fresh parmesan.

1 Rogue/moon druid 6/2 monk/ fighter 2/ druid 9

Rogue nets you expertise(athletics). monk nets you bonus action dashes and +10 ft speed. druid gets you spike growth and high speed wild shape forms. Take mobile at some point for another 10 ft speed. cast longstrider on yourself.

By 4th level, you can cast longstrider before combat, cast spike growth and turn into a lion in the first round of combat and then begin the shennanigans. move up to an enemy, grapple them and and begin dragging them around the outer edge of the spike growth. First turn can average 35 damage (14d4). Next round if they do not escape the grapple, you can drag them 70 feet through spike growth for 28d4. At 5th level, if someone hastes you, you can grapple and then drag them 140 ft. Every round after, if they do not escape the grapple, you can drag them 210 ft(84d4) spike growth damage.

The formula is pretty simple, at every druid level, take the faster form if a new option comes up. When you get to air elemental, your movement for the turn dragging an opponent will be 440 ft. for 176 d4 damage.

MightyDog16
2016-05-06, 07:21 PM
I put my phone down and had to take a moment to process what I just read after seeing dev6500's spike growth grapple dragger. Good times.

Socratov
2016-05-07, 09:36 AM
Don't go high dpr the traditional way ;p . You should go with the druid spike growth dragger.

Rogue nets you expertise(athletics). monk nets you bonus action dashes and +10 ft speed. druid gets you spike growth and high speed wild shape forms. Take mobile at some point for another 10 ft speed. cast longstrider on yourself.

By 4th level, you can cast longstrider before combat, cast spike growth and turn into a lion in the first round of combat and then begin the shennanigans. move up to an enemy, grapple them and and begin dragging them around the outer edge of the spike growth. First turn can average 35 damage (14d4). Next round if they do not escape the grapple, you can drag them 70 feet through spike growth for 28d4. At 5th level, if someone hastes you, you can grapple and then drag them 140 ft. Every round after, if they do not escape the grapple, you can drag them 210 ft(84d4) spike growth damage.

The formula is pretty simple, at every druid level, take the faster form if a new option comes up. When you get to air elemental, your movement for the turn dragging an opponent will be 440 ft. for 176 d4 damage.

wow, that is quite the shenanigan... Well done!, but wouldn't going rogue instead of monk for cunning hands be better? *tips hat*

Naanomi
2016-05-07, 09:57 AM
I had some fun in AL with V.Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4/Sorcerer +3/Fighter 1/Rogue 3/Fighter +1/Warlock +7

Hex things, throw 4d10+4d6+20 at thing ever round; often critting from surprise round 1; Quicken whenever you feel like it to double that; add Action Surge for volly number three when you really need to nova

AC from medium armor and shield at 19, expertise in stealth and intimidation (no one scarier!) boosted by Guidance and Tides of Chaos. Overall played really well and had great round-after-round damage at big range all keyed off of short rests

Foxhound438
2016-05-07, 06:45 PM
Don't go high dpr the traditional way ;p . You should go with the druid spike growth dragger.

typically dragging would mean the thing follows your path, but with liberal DMing I suppose it's fine. probably need war caster at some point, after one or two encounters like that the DM is likely to hit you until your concentration breaks after you've wild shaped.

Lombra
2016-05-07, 07:15 PM
While not the best I think this is the most fun martial dpr build: barb2/champ18 with GWM, great weapon fighting style, defensive style and a greatsword: crits are going to happen very often, but it shines a lot only if you take half-orc for the race.

Sillybird99
2016-05-07, 08:16 PM
I will point you in the very easy right direction.

Do these 4 things.

1. Find some way to attack with your bonus action. (Crossbow master, Polearm Master, ect)
2. Take either Great Weapon Master if melee, or Sharpshooter if ranged.
3. Find some way to make 3+ attacks. (Fighter 11+, Ranger with Swift Quiver, Lore Bard with Swift Quiver even sooner)
4. Find some way to attack with advantage. (Maneuver from Battlemaster after a trip, Barbarian reckless attack, spells ect.)

Swift quiver use a bonus action so taking crossbow master is no good (unless you plan on using heavy crossbows) once u get that spell. Also lore bard can't get swift quiver til level 10, same as valour bard.

Valour bard can get 4 attacks if they take swift quiver at level 10 magic secret + level 6 extra attack.

Turn 1 cast blindness/deafness for advantage and swift quiver attack with bonus action. 2d8 (or 2d10) +28

Turn 2 full attack with 4 arrows using attack action and swift quiver. 4d8 (or 4d10) +56

This is a level 10 build, that won't really continue to scale martially.

Gtdead
2016-05-07, 09:29 PM
You can cast both blindness/deafness and swift quiver in the same turn. The rule forbids the casting of any spell other than a cantrip in the same turn that you cast a bonus action spell.

Sillybird99
2016-05-08, 01:11 AM
O yeah you are right. Been watching too much critical role lol. They have a house rule. Still, not bad 2nd turn damage for a valour bard.

A two level fighter dip for action surge would be a solid addition. So valour bard 10/fighter 2 could get one round with 6(d8+14) per short rest (111hp average).

Submortimer
2016-05-08, 03:32 PM
If UA stuff is allowed, I fail to see how nearly anything can compare to the insanity that is a Champion Archer.

Race: Vhuman
Racial Feat: Crossbow Expert
16 dex (15 +1 from race), 16 Con
Fighter 1: Archery Style (+2 to hit)
Fighter 3: Champion
Fighter 4: ASI: Sharpshooter Feat
Fighter 6: ASI: +2 dex
Fighter 8: ASI: +2 dex
Fighter 10: Close Quarters Shooter Style (+1 to hit and +1 to Damage)

At 10, you're sitting at a 17 AC and 85 HP, so plenty tough to kill.

Between Archery and Close Quarters Shooting, you have a +3 to hit, so there is almost no reason not to sharpshooter EVERY shot.
With a Heavy crossbow, you're looking at 1d10+16 per shot with a +7 to hit, for right around 43 avg damage a turn, not counting criticals. At 11, you're looking at 64.5 a turn due to the third attack.

When you get in close, pull your hand crossbow instead and go to town: 1d6+16 per shot, three shots at level 10, for 58.5 a turn, and 78 a turn at level 11.

Best part is, the bulk of it is online at level 10. You have more than enough levels to do something else insane, so lets double down and see where you can take this nonsense.

I'd suggest hopping off the Fighter Train at level 12, to get one more ASI. Then, I'm going to go a little off the beaten path here and suggest War cleric.

Why? Magic Weapon, Bless, and War Priest.

Lets take a look at this fella at level 20

16 dex (15 +1 from race), 16 Con (15 +1 from race), 14 Wis, 10 Int, 8 Cha, 8 Str.
Fighter 3: Champion
Fighter 6: ASI: +2 dex
Fighter 8: ASI: +2 dex
Fighter 10: Close Quarters Shooter Style (+1 to hit and +1 to Damage)
Fighter 12: ASI: +2 Wis
Fighter 12/Cleric 4: ASI: +2 Wis
Fighter 12/Cleric 8: ASI: +2 Wis

Prior to combat, cast Magic weapon with a 4th level slot. you get two per day, and it lasts for an hour, so this shouldn't be hard to set up.

Now, your shots are 1d10+5+2+1+10, or 1d10+18 per shot, you get three of them a round, and with a +16 to hit, you can use sharpshooter at no effective penalty. On a regular round, that's 23.5x3, or 70.5 avg damage; when you need to, you can use a bonus action to tack another 23.5 onto that with a 4th attack, getting you up to 94 a round. If you want to stay in close, use the hand crossbow: 1d6+18 per shot is 21.5 avg, getting you to 86 avg on essentially every round.

An effective alternative to this would be Lore Bard, especially if you want to stick with the Hand Crossbow. Magic Weapon is pretty highly important to the damage of the build, though, so you should keep that in mind.

8wGremlin
2016-05-08, 04:04 PM
I'm playing nearly that same build: but went Battle Master instead.
by using a hand crossbow only, I'm getting 2 attacks around, with "Precise" maneuver, I can make help offset the penalty of sharpshooter, for one shot.

I also have trip, which my front liners are beginning to love, as well as goading attack, which helps the whole party.

16 dex (15 +1 from race), 16 Con (15 +1 from race), 14 Wis, 10 Int, 8 Cha, 8 Str.
Fighter 3: Battle Master

Specter
2016-05-08, 04:54 PM
Just read that whole spike growth and had a stroke. Is 3.5 back?

dev6500
2016-05-09, 03:09 AM
wow, that is quite the shenanigan... Well done!, but wouldn't going rogue instead of monk for cunning hands be better? *tips hat*

I agree that cunning action gives you more sustainable drag speed, I was just using monk in the build so that I could get bonus action dashes and a +10 speed boost which nets you an extra 20 to 80 feet movement in a round. But if we were to cut monk out of the build and just go 2 rogue, then it would save you some levels and then you wouldn't have to worry about running out of ki for dashes. I just didn't use it in the previous build because it didn't raise my max movement numbers ;) .

typically dragging would mean the thing follows your path, but with liberal DMing I suppose it's fine. probably need war caster at some point, after one or two encounters like that the DM is likely to hit you until your concentration breaks after you've wild shaped.

typically, grappled targets only specifically have to be adjacent to you. So you could drag them alongside instead of behind you if you desired. I also agree that a high concentration bonus would be beneficial to this build. I only used up 1 feat(which could be from vhuman), so there remains plenty of ASI's to shore up concentration.

Also another way to use this build is to have your druid kidnap targets away from an enemy camp one at a time and bring them a 500 feet back to your party. So you can use this build tactically even without the spike growth active.

Just read that whole spike growth and had a stroke. Is 3.5 back?

I did love 3.5...
I noticed that movement speed is one of the few aspects of 5e that does not follow the bounded accuracy theme of the edition. Probably because it isn't something developers thought players would try to convert into damage. So there are many different abilities that boost total movement and they all seem to stack. and in many cases, developers have verified that they stack in tweets because... why not.

Anyway, there are many ways to have above 100 dpr builds. I just happen to think that this one is the coolest(funniest). I hereby dub the character "The Cheese Grater"

Kryshen2
2018-11-23, 06:46 PM
Fighter Brute sharpshooter is what you're looking for.
Full build probably brute Fighter 11, hex blade warlock 3, collosus slayer ranger 3 and whatever else you want. Use a hand crossbow.
If you're shooting something with low AC you're looking at
3 attacks per action: 2d6 weapon damage, +10 ss, +5 dex, +3 enchant, +6 hexblade curse + d6 hex (3d6+24 per attack, )

Turn one dmg: 6d6+d8+69 (95)
Turn 2: 9d6+d8+69 (107)
Turn 3+: 12d6+d8+96 (135)

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-23, 07:05 PM
Thread necro, ahoy!

Misterwhisper
2018-11-23, 08:10 PM
Well before this gets locked for necro...

Celestial pact of the blade warlock 12, brass Draconic sorcerer 6, fighter 2.

Take illusionists bracers (which should have never been printed they are so stupidly broken)

Win.

Don’t bother with feats just boost stats.

Green flame blade as your action:assume rapier
4d8 + 5 dex (normal)+ 5 cha(celestial) + 5 cha (draconic) + 5 cha (12 invocation)
That is 48
Adjacent take some too.
Bonus action to do it again: 48 more
Action sure to do it again if needed

That is one target taking 144 dmg and adjacent taking probably like 1/3 of that.

Or keep it simple:

Hexblade 2 whatever 18
Take broken bracers.

Eldritch blast as action and bonus action.
1d10 + 5 for 8 rays.

That is 84 force damage per round, at range, all day, every day, and all it takes is warlock 2, agonizing blast and boosting cha.

Essentially illusionists bracers are all day free quicken spell for cantrips, and should never have seen print.

Arkhios
2018-11-23, 11:21 PM
What I find strange is that I don't see a Paladin 2/Arcane Trickster 18 suggested very much, if at all.

You only need up to 4th level spell slots for Divine Smite, and frankly put, Arcane Trickster doesn't need intelligence at all to work well.

With this multiclass you could go either dex or str based. Probably best to start with rogue to get proficiency with Dex saves. You'll be fine without heavy armor proficiency. Take any finesse weapon (rapier is always a fine choice) and dueling fighting style. Pick either Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade (or both), and get yourself into position to use Sneak Attack every turn (it's easy). Preserve Divine Smites for crits only.
In fact, you could take Green-Flame Blade with a feat* from Sorcerer or Warlock's list and use your charisma instead of intelligence.
*Magic Initiate.

In the end, on your turns, you'll be looking at:
1d8+2 (rapier+dueling FS)
+9d6 (sneak attack)
+3d8(booming blade; or Green-Flame Blade with another 4d8, and a potential bonus from high intelligence if you have any, for another target)
+2d8 to 5d8 (regular divine smite; +1d8 if target is fiend or undead)

On other turns (almost exclusively opportunity attacks):
1d8+2 (rapier+dueling FS)
+9d6 (sneak attack can be used once per turn)
+4d8 (if you used Booming Blade and the target moved willingly on its turn)
+2d8 to 5d8 (regular divine smite; +1d8 if target is fiend or undead).

AND if you crit:
2d8+2 (rapier+dueling FS)
+18d6 (sneak attack)
+6d8 (either booming blade or green-flame blade, but only on your turn unless you made opportunity attack and had the War Caster feat)
+4d8 to 10d8 (divine smite; +2d8 if the target was fiend or undead).

All of that is before you add your ability modifier or bonuses from magic weapons and/or spells.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice this thread was necroed :S