PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcerous Monk

Poblobo
2016-05-04, 04:34 AM
I'm considering making a monk for a Pathfinder game (I like making lots of backups) with a planned future three level dip into sorcerer. I like the idea of being able to cast True Strike up to five times per day, plus having some utility magic if it's needed, while still primarily playing monk.

I want to ask if anyone has any advice for ways that I could make the build a bit more optimal, as I recognise the stats required reduce the effectiveness either class would have in its main capacity.

Any tips?

Krazzman
2016-05-04, 05:03 AM
Empyreal Bloodline Sorcerer casts via Wisdom and all bloodline features function with widsom instead of charisma.
This could reduce MAD-ness.

For Stats I would advice Str/Dex>Wis>Con>Int>Str/Dex>cha maybe switch Int with Str/Dex in priorities.

For traits: Take the one that let's you count as 2 levels higher Casterlevel for the Sorcerer. This will net you a 5d6 shocking grasp as attack option.

Firest Kathon
2016-05-04, 05:30 AM
For traits: Take the one that let's you count as 2 levels higher Casterlevel for the Sorcerer. This will net you a 5d6 shocking grasp as attack option.
Magical Knack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack)

Poblobo
2016-05-04, 07:22 AM
Empyreal Bloodline Sorcerer casts via Wisdom and all bloodline features function with widsom instead of charisma.
This could reduce MAD-ness.

For Stats I would advice Str/Dex>Wis>Con>Int>Str/Dex>cha maybe switch Int with Str/Dex in priorities.

That is something I never would have thought of. And it is amazing.

Would it be worth sticking around until 9th for flight then going back into monk?

Krazzman
2016-05-04, 08:15 AM
That is something I never would have thought of. And it is amazing.

Would it be worth sticking around until 9th for flight then going back into monk?

Nope. Empyreal gives up flight for the ability to channel energy as a cleric of your sorcerer level -4

3 is a nice dip value though. Giving you (with Magical Knack) the ability to cast Shocking Grasp, Snowball or Burning Hands at their damage maximum. Gives you a healing or damage ranged touch attack depending on the alignment of your target, as well as some resistances. As well as giving you access to the Bless spell.

IF you want to play a "mystical" warrior who strikes with his fists I would advise you more into looking up the Warpriest (heard quite some good stuff about it...).

Psyren
2016-05-04, 08:27 AM
As an FYI, Qinggong (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk)/Unchained Monk gets True Strike as a ki power, so you don't have to dip or multiclass out. A monk sorcerer can be made more powerful to be sure, but since you mention "primarily playing monk," it sounds like you want more monk levels than sorcerer levels, in which case you're not getting much benefit from the sorcerer levels (low caster level etc.) so I wanted to call out the option.

Poblobo
2016-05-05, 06:14 AM
As an FYI, Qinggong (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk)/Unchained Monk gets True Strike as a ki power, so you don't have to dip or multiclass out. A monk sorcerer can be made more powerful to be sure, but since you mention "primarily playing monk," it sounds like you want more monk levels than sorcerer levels, in which case you're not getting much benefit from the sorcerer levels (low caster level etc.) so I wanted to call out the option.

Yes, there is that, but our group doesn't have many casters, and the thought is that the monk could be primarily melee while still having enough magic to hold back if necessary or hit a bugger I can't reach.

Psyren
2016-05-05, 09:59 AM
Yes, there is that, but our group doesn't have many casters, and the thought is that the monk could be primarily melee while still having enough magic to hold back if necessary or hit a bugger I can't reach.

Well yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying - a qg/umonk on its own can be primarily melee while having enough magic to do those things. For example, Scorching Ray + Cold Ice Strike alone can get you up to 27d6 in one round to an enemy 30ft. away.

Beowulf DW
2016-05-05, 09:31 PM
While a fan of the Quinggong/UnMonk, myself, there is another option.

Empyreal Sorc/Sohei Monk/Eldritch Knight. Empyreal bloodline gets Wis to casting (as mentioned), Sohei nets you martial weapon prof., which qualifies you for E.K. It can actually be quite fun if you have the patience for the build to come together.

If you're willing to drop the Sorcerer bit entirely, there's also a Druid/Monk multiclass build that I could recommend.