PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Twice the same proficiency, what if i lose one?

F9V
2016-05-04, 07:43 AM
Hi guys,

I have a question to submit, and I hope you can help me.

If a character receives a proficiency from a class and then from another one and in the future lose access to the proficiency of this class, however, it would keep those of the preceding class?

Example
Cleric 10 / dragonslayer 1

Cleric has competence in all simple weapons, same as the dragonslayer. If i lost the access to the simple weapon proficiency of the dragonslayer for any reason, do I maintain the simple weapon proficiency of the cleric class? Or i lose both cause proficiency "doesn't stack"?

Thank you in advance!

Inevitability
2016-05-04, 07:45 AM
I'd say you lose both, if only because forgetting your cleric training after losing your dragonslaying tactics seems silly.

Necroticplague
2016-05-04, 08:17 AM
I think this depends more on why you're losing profeciency that with how you got it in the first place. However, the typical rules of stacking would indicate you keep it. You basically have two sources of the same ability,like if you had gauntlets of ogre strength and +2 belt of giant's strength (two different sources of +2 enhancement to STR. One goes away, the other kicks in, maintaining the ability).

Telonius
2016-05-04, 08:21 AM
I suppose it would depend on how the character lost the proficiency. If it's just losing a level due to character death, then the character would still have proficiency. The proficiency granted overlaps, doesn't stack; so losing one doesn't necessarily lose both. But if it were something like a Greater Bestow Curse, Wish, or some other effect like that to make you forget Simple Weapons, then it would probably apply to proficiency granted by all classes.

KillianHawkeye
2016-05-04, 01:23 PM
Yeah, you're gonna have to be a little more specific on how you're even losing weapon proficiencies, because that's not normally a thing that can happen.

Telonius
2016-05-04, 02:12 PM
... also, if we're talking about something that involves the words "Dark Chaos," the answer is that you (not your character) will likely take 2d6 bludgeoning damage from a flying DMG.

Eisfalken
2016-05-04, 09:31 PM
RAW, absolutely not. Each class' weapon profs are individually taught, different for every class. If you play a monk / rogue, you have all simple weapons, and a huge list of both martial and exotic weapons. If the monk list changed to "all simple weapons, nothing else", then the rogue STILL keeping profs with things like hand crossbow, rapier, etc.

If dragonslayer weapon profs are being retro-ruled to be "none", you most assuredly still keep your cleric profs. Same with armor, just so you know: if you start with fighter, you don't "lose" armor or shield profs by becoming a wizard or bard.